Camera Draining Battery When Not In Use!

Kirislin

Yesterday I charged my camera battery and this morning the camera was completely dead. I recharged the battery, and checked the diagnostics which said the battery was fully charged. Then a few minutes ago I noticed the cameras red light flashing and again, like this morning I tried to turn it on and it was dead. I dont think it's the battery, I think the camera is draining it even when it's turned off. Anyone else ever had this problem?

before you discount the battery, how old is it? how many cycles (charges) has it had, roughly, has it been left aside for a long time?

do you have another battery to test out to ensure it is the camera?

only reason I ask is the off switch on most camera's is a direct voltage switch and there should be no drain when switched to off.

This is the newer camera battery which says it's still functioning well. I have an older battery that is not very efficient now, but this one according to the camera, when fully charged should be working fine.

Edited by Kirislin

Yeah, I can do that. I'm recharging the battery now. It's the 3rd time in less than 24 hours that I've had to do it. :( I've removed the lens because I read somewhere someone thought that was what was draining their battery. I might try removing the battery when not using the camera, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Does your camera has GPS? That continues to work even when the camera is turned off unless you go into the settings and turn it off.

It shouldn't be enough to drain the battery overnight though. I tend to leave my GPS turned on and it will last a few weeks before the battery goes flat