Lamb Flaps Same As Lamb Riblets?

Puppynovice

Our breeder said we could start feeding our pup lamb flaps and lamb necks as part of the raw component of his diet. We already feed chicken necks and wings. I have noticed Woolworths sell 'lamb riblets' in packs and lamb neck rosettes. Are these the same as lamb flaps and necks? The bones on the riblets seem much harder than the chicken bones and there isn't a lot of meat on them. Lots of fat though. While the necks have quite a hard bone in the middle. I worry this is too hard for a puppy to bite on. I thought the prupose of raw meaty bones was that the dog eats all of it including the bone?

I want to start introducing a bit more variety in the raw food department apart from just chicken. He also gets a good feed of Advance kibble for breakfast.

Another one for turkey necks here, obtainable from Woolies. I will only give my dogs lamb flaps if I can buy the whole piece & cut it up myself, as last time I gave ones that the butcher had cut up, my girl almost choked :( Sometimes I get beef neck bones that have a lot of meat on them. I supervise though & take it away when the bone gets too small.

So does the lamb flap include the actual rib bones themselves? I've noticed a local supermarket here sells lamb breast which is one whole piece of breast with all the little rib bones attached.

I'm beginning to think I mights skip raw lamb as it's either too hard to find or too dangerous to eat.

you might have better luck getting lamb flaps/ribs from a proper butcher rather than big chain supermarkets. Talk to your local butcher and find out when he bones out the lamb and ask him to save you the ribs. My butcher does it for me and I get a good bag for $2.50.

I recently got 15kgs of turkey necks through a friend who did a bulk order for all his doggy friends. I think they only cost $2.50 per kg because he bought about 40 kgs.

Turkey wings would be wayyy to big :) Get turkey Necks, they are big but you can cut them. When Nova was a tiny pup I cut them into 3rds. He now gets half of one for lunch. I think a third would be a good size for a Mini Foxie :) They come in different sizes so probably just look at them first and estimate a good chunk to cut off.

Turkey wings would be wayyy to big :) Get turkey Necks, they are big but you can cut them. When Nova was a tiny pup I cut them into 3rds. He now gets half of one for lunch. I think a third would be a good size for a Mini Foxie :) They come in different sizes so probably just look at them first and estimate a good chunk to cut off.

LOL sorry I meant necks not wings! I might give these a go.

When I buy lamb flaps I cut off as much of the visible fat I can & give Panda 2 ribs together & about 3 or 4 for Tilba. I also sometimes get turkey wings from woolies but have never seen the necks. If they have tiny legs I will them. With the wings I cut off the flap of skin on one side & trim the other.

You could also try lamb shanks, although expensive these days. My guys also have large chunks of beef pieces so they are forced to chew them up rather than swallow without chewing. As a snack once or twice a week they also get chicken feet or hearts.