Dogs May Have To Stand Aside For New Agility Competitor!

Boronia

http://www.abc.net.a...bunnies/4951778

Doing the bunny hop at Royal Adelaide

ABC Rural Wendy Collis button_print.pngbutton_email.pngbutton_facebook.pngbutton_more.png23 Updated Tue 17 Sep 2013, 6:04pm AEST

4960472-3x2-700x467.jpg 4951796-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: A pet rabbit waiting to compete in the "bunny hop" at the Royal Adelaide Show (South Australian Country Hour) Audio: Rural Reporter: High hopping bunnies (ABC Rural) Map: Adelaide 5000 Showjumping usually involves majestic thoroughbred horses flying high over the bars.

But at the Adelaide Show this week showjumping has gone micro with high-hopping rabbits taking to the arena.

The pet bunnies are coaxed by their owners along a specially prepared course, jumping over a series of five, 10cm high hurdles.

Some rabbits leap effortlessly over the bars, while others sit stubbornly at the barriers refusing to move.

Reporter Wendy Collis gets some tips on the "bunny hop" from self confessed rabbit lover Sandy Sangster who says 10cm isn't too high for a sporty rabbit.

"If you get a very young rabbit who's just full of the joy of life they can levitate about two feet into the air, even higher than that, suddenly," Sandy Sangster says.

We saw this at the weekend. Some rabbits seemed to enjoy it. Some really didn't.

I stand by my opinion that it wasn't good planning by the event organisers to put the rabbits so near to the greyhound adoption stand.

Really?? I can't tell if you are being serious or not - if serious then YES that seems like a bit oversight in planning :laugh:

Soo cute - we aren't allowed any bunnies in QLD from there are some quite handsome hares that hop up and down the driveway at mum's. :D

maybe the adoption people wanted it that way..."look how well behaved the greyhounds are in the face of small fluffy things"

although having had rabbits myself I can't imagine the bunnies would have appreciated it, I imagine there would have been a few angry thumps

maybe the adoption people wanted it that way..."look how well behaved the greyhounds are in the face of small fluffy things"

although having had rabbits myself I can't imagine the bunnies would have appreciated it, I imagine there would have been a few angry thumps

I was on the stand. And, no, it wasn't planned. I'm not sure I've ever met a greyhound who wouldn't react to the sight of a fluffy bunny bouncing over showjumps! Even my low prey bomb-proof Hermon was pretty excited.

The bunnies seemed mostly oblivious.

They had bunnies on some tv show recently to show what the Europeans are doing to keep their bunnies exercised. Erm.

So I want to see agility brace with a rabbit, a whippet and a handler (human). Should be very exciting...

Pretty sure that was Hamish and Andy - Euro Gap year