Vets For Triennial Vax In Sth Coast-wollongong Areas?

kelpiecuddles

I've already rung a few vets around Nowra and it seems it's hard to find someone who does the triennial down here so wondering if anyone knows of someone who does it? Anywhere between Bateman's Bay and Wollongong would be acceptable but the closer to the Ulladulla-Nowra area the better(we live half way between Ulladulla and Nowra)

Well I asked my local vets and they said they won't do them "because they like to do the annual one so the dog gets a yearly check up". All well and good for them but my dogs are there plenty anyway and I'm quite comfortable with my ability as an owner to ensure my dogs health is checked when needed. :mad

Well I asked my local vets and they said they won't do them "because they like to do the annual one so the dog gets a yearly check up". All well and good for them but my dogs are there plenty anyway and I'm quite comfortable with my ability as an owner to ensure my dogs health is checked when needed. :mad

Maybe your local vet needs to read this.

Why don't you simply take your dogs for their core vaccinations every three years? My understanding it that its exactly the same vaccination as given annually. Your vet can't force you to vaccinate your dogs annually.

Of course, if you vaccinate for Kennel Cough that's annual anyway. :shrug: Solves the "annual check up" argument.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

So is it exactly the same? If it is I'll just get the 'annual' one and ignore the next couple of reminders. She was hassling me get to get them redone and I told her I get them titre tested to shut her up, she didn't seem impressed that I didn't want to comply with her preferred annual schedule...

So is it exactly the same? If it is I'll just get the 'annual' one and ignore the next couple of reminders. She was hassling me get to get them redone and I told her I get them titre tested to shut her up, she didn't seem impressed that I didn't want to comply with her preferred annual schedule...

That's my understanding.

OK well I might look at doing that then, they were at the vets only last week so i might just ring around and go with whoever is cheapest for the vaccs, my usual vet isn't super cheap and to be honest I'm kinda still miffed about the attitude she gave me and the third degree about my choice to not vaccinate annually. I explained that my kelpie has funny reactions to some things and that I prefer to keep things like vaccs, medications, etc to as infrequently as possible but apparently I'm not capable of making informed choices for my pets :(

Maybe your local vet needs to read this.

Why don't you simply take your dogs for their core vaccinations every three years? My understanding it that its exactly the same vaccination as given annually. Your vet can't force you to vaccinate your dogs annually.

Of course, if you vaccinate for Kennel Cough that's annual anyway. :shrug: Solves the "annual check up" argument.

Exactly what I have done. My vet is great and was happy to be educated :D He uses the regular vaccine and signs off on it as due in 3 years. I told him I will spend more money with the clinic (teeth, bloods etc) if I stay as a client.

The difference between the annual and the triennial is the labeling meaning the manufacturer has 'approved' the vaccine for annual use. Main difference is going to be the vaccination certificate. You can use annual every three years instead but the vet is unlikely to issue a certificate for more than 12 months (even though AVA does permit it to be used for longer with 'informed consent' from the owner) as it is essrntially 'off label' use. With the triennial the vaccination certificate has a 'next vaccination due' date on it of three years out from date of vaccination. This will only really be relevant if you need to board the dogs and need to show a certificate. I must say it annoys me no end that some vets are persisting with annual vaccination when all of the research and recommendations of relevant bodies (govt, AVA and WSAVA ) are for triennial.

Edited by espinay2

At the end of the day you are the one who makes the final call on what happens with your dogs/s

Tell them you will be having the trienniel vaccination and Kennel Cough yearly(if that is the way you wish to go) and they can like it or lump it really. They cannot make you do anything.

I agree OSS. But at the same time if i have made a clearly thought out and considered statement as to why i am following a particular course of treatment with my dogs I don't think it's her place to basically talk down to me as if I'm going to kill my dogs. It may be that I choose to go elsewhere next time as a result.

I agree OSS. But at the same time if i have made a clearly thought out and considered statement as to why i am following a particular course of treatment with my dogs I don't think it's her place to basically talk down to me as if I'm going to kill my dogs. It may be that I choose to go elsewhere next time as a result.

Oh definately I agree with you. I had similar issues - we only have one vet - I am just stubborn and stick to my guns, now trienniels are common place.

Luckily I have a few options available to me here so I'll have a chat to a few and make some decisions with what i do, there are more options for vets than there are for food shopping! The one I have been going to is the most convenient but it's not the best service i've had and the prices are middle of the road so it's no real issue to go elsewhere.