Dog Friendly Places In Qld

Lasareina

I'm sorry if this has already been asked... had a search and can't find anything.

Just wondering if any of the QLD members know any good places to take the dogs? I am in Logan / South Brisbane area.

Growing up on acreage our dogs had lots of room to run around,find interesting smells and enjoy themselves but now I live in suburbia and I sometimes feel like the pups are missing out :laugh: .

Doesn't have to be off leash areas although would love to know if there are any around that are a little more interesting than our little fenced area at the park with it's single tree :D

We are going to try a walk at Karawatha Forest on the weekend which I am excited about. :thumbsup:

Dog beach at Palm Beach (about an hour from you) and The Spit a bit further north of there (can't remember the suburb name right now, have a look at the Gold Coast Council website perhaps?). Palm Beach is nuts except at "off peak" times though, never been to The Spit.

Have a look on various council websites, they're usually pretty comprehensive, and ask people at your obedience classes.

Thanks Sandra777 - I have taken them to the Spit before but didn't know about Palm Beach. Luckily the last time we went to the Spit it had just finished raining and was almost completely empty :)

The council has a list of dog parks but it is hard to know which ones will be a few square meters of fenced grass or a nice big one with trees etc.

The best one I have found so far has been at Runcorn - nice and large with lots of trees and bushes to sniff :laugh:

Good idea about asking people at obedience.

I was thinking the same thing, so I'm glad you asked. I'm particularly after places to go swimming safely.

We took our pup to Colleges Crossing near Ipswich on the weekend, and it was great! perfectly set-up for dogs (if you go slightly upriver of the main area, there's a little causeway over to an island in the river, and it seems quite a few people take dogs there). Lots of shallow water and deeper bits, and sandy rocky areas. He had an absolute ball.

I was feeling really happy about it, until I heard yesterday that apparently it's really well known for having bullsharks there :( I'm very glad we were swimming in the middle of the day, but I'm freaked out now!

Looking for somewhere to swim without any nasties!

The best one I have found so far has been at Runcorn - nice and large with lots of trees and bushes to sniff :laugh:

The Runcorn one? - through the park and up a narrow rutted track?? If so, this is where the Stafford club lure racing used to be, know it well!

If you come up the other way, the far end of Hastings St has an awesome dog beach. Also the area between Peregian Beach and Sunrise Beach is dog beach and it stretches for lots of kms.

Not sure where these arebut definitely sounds like worth a bit of research! I usually only go Sunshine Coast way for the Woodford Folk Festival lol but sounds like might be worth a trip out for the pups!

I was thinking the same thing, so I'm glad you asked. I'm particularly after places to go swimming safely.

We took our pup to Colleges Crossing near Ipswich on the weekend, and it was great! perfectly set-up for dogs (if you go slightly upriver of the main area, there's a little causeway over to an island in the river, and it seems quite a few people take dogs there). Lots of shallow water and deeper bits, and sandy rocky areas. He had an absolute ball.

I was feeling really happy about it, until I heard yesterday that apparently it's really well known for having bullsharks there :( I'm very glad we were swimming in the middle of the day, but I'm freaked out now!

Looking for somewhere to swim without any nasties!

Haha I was all excited (Ipswitch not that far away) and then I read Bullsharks!! hmmmm Hunter has big teeth but I think a sharkie might come out tops of that match up :p Bummer sounded great! Maybe it's just a urban legend or a few people fear mongering?? Ipswich seems an unlikely spot for sharks (drawing on my extensive marine biology knowlege here ... not)

The Runcorn one? - through the park and up a narrow rutted track?? If so, this is where the Stafford club lure racing used to be, know it well!

I think it may be a different one... just down the road a little bit from the soccer club and directly opposite a big oval and a bridge? i only discovered it because my stepdaughter had soccer up the road and the puppies were fractious and in need of a walk before sitting to watch the game lol. we didn't make it back - I sent the OH to go watch the game and we stayed and played with all the other dogs :laugh:

If the dogs aren't that into swimming, colleges crossing would still be a great place to take them - there's a lot of ankle deep areas I'd still feel happy to splash around in. It's the deeper bits that make me nervous...

ETA I did a fair bit of googling after hearing about the sharks and it seems pretty credible actually.

I usually wakeboard in the river and the idea of sharks doesn't bother me that much, because the river is deep and they tend to be bottom feeders from what I've read - but, in a relatively shallow swimming area with puppies slashing around - that makes me nervous!!

Edited by aliwake

If the dogs aren't that into swimming, colleges crossing would still be a great place to take them - there's a lot of ankle deep areas I'd still feel happy to splash around in. It's the deeper bits that make me nervous...

ETA I did a fair bit of googling after hearing about the sharks and it seems pretty credible actually.

I usually wakeboard in the river and the idea of sharks doesn't bother me that much, because the river is deep and they tend to be bottom feeders from what I've read - but, in a relatively shallow swimming area with puppies slashing around - that makes me nervous!!

Yes me too - I think that may be one of those better safe than sorry situations! We used to take our dogs to the Logan River out near Flagstone... there's probably sharks in there too! :eek:

ETA I'm not sure how keen the dogs are on actually swimming... they went in at the Spit when we took them around to the calm bit but only because they were following mum's dogs around... left to their own devices I think they might be too chicken! :laugh:

Edited by Lasareina

If you come up the other way, the far end of Hastings St has an awesome dog beach. Also the area between Peregian Beach and Sunrise Beach is dog beach and it stretches for lots of kms.

Not sure where these arebut definitely sounds like worth a bit of research! I usually only go Sunshine Coast way for the Woodford Folk Festival lol but sounds like might be worth a trip out for the pups!

Sorry, I wasn't very specific! Noosa Heads :)

This is the spit at the end of Hastings St:

9266198286_8907531350.jpg

8614015745_1e24cb5bd5.jpg

9217773023_4a015f2e5b.jpg

The other one is just surf beach:

8614018669_f15cac5178.jpg

There's a section of the beach at Fingal Head on Gold Coast that is off leash (from memory it is the beach towards the light house). It's a beautiful beach and I have seen dogs swimming. Ours loved running on the beach but won't get their paws wet so no swimming for them!

http://www.brisbanecityonline.com.au/things_to_do/dog_friendly_parks_brisbane_southside.html

Amamoor Park dog friendly camping is brillant http://www.brisbanecityonline.com.au/things_to_do/dog_friendly_camping_bush.html

Apparently there is a massive park down behind the marsden highschool Lakeside drive, you can walk from there all the way to Waterford shops there is also a creek.

there are also many back streets that go down to the Logan river which has lots of walking trails along the banks and some shallow area's where dogs can swim etc.

There is also Red Beach at Bribie Island.

2nd this one.. Unlike many other dog beaches that only give you 50m or so to keep your dogs contained, this has up to 9km of beach at low tide. All the way from Bongaree to Worim.

Just watch the blue bottle jelly fish at certain times of the year down on the point.

No, it's fine for an ordinary car :). It's the southern end of Bribie, take the Bribie exit off the Bruce Highway and just keep going east :). There's a really good dog park in Redcliffe, Kroll Gardens, though I haven't been there for years.

http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/general.aspx?id=69323#Bribie_Island

Bribie Island

Off Leash

•In the enclosed area marked by official signs forming part of Cosmos Park on the corner of Sunderland Drive and Cosmos Avenue, Bribie behind the Croquet Club

•On the beach from Red Beach car park around to Woody Bay, Woorim, Bribie Island

•On the beach from Woody Bay to the pathway opposite the Koolamara at the corner of Lowry and Benelong Streets, Woorim, Bribie Island

On Leash

•The entrance to Woorim Beach, Bribie Island from the entrance at the northern end of North Street northwards to the 4WD access track

•The beach north of Boronia Drive to the end of Sylvan Beach Esplanade, Bribie Island

That sounds amazing ... excuse my ignorance but is Bribie Island hard to get to / require 4WD? I have a "soccer mum" 4wd don't think it would handle anything more challenging than a muddy paddock lol