Crate Training

whippytails

I would love to hear your favourite book or website re crate training. I hope to have our new family member in December and want to be ready as best as I can. I crate trained my parents schnauzer 10 years ago but Im sure there is much more info out there now about.

We will be going to shows and I want to make travelling in a crate a safe and fun thing

I have crate trained several pups over the years and I've never bothered with crate games or any such thing. I bring pup home and come night time pup is put in crate in my bedroom and that's it. Set the alarm twice overnight for a few nights, then once, then none. Pop pup in crate during day if I am going out no drama. Go to a show, pup goes in crate. No issues.

My advice is - don't over think it.

Another one here who didn't do much crate training. Cleo was 6 months when I started though, but I will be using the same technique with my next pup who'll be a baby.

Cleo already knew to "station" i.e go to a certain spot before she was allowed to move towards her bowl. One day the stationing spot changed from a tramp bed to a crate with a bed inside it, she barely blinked at it. Being shut in the crate didn't happen for a few more months but now she sleeps in there every night, and will spend a day at a show in there. She loves her crate!

We never looked at 'training' our pups for the crates.

They simply were put in there at night to sleep. Cover over.

My SBT has a medium size still with a divider in hers because if I give her too much space she piddles in there still. Shes 4mths

Our Mini Schnauzer who is 5.5mths has always had a full medium crate with no issues. He was allowed on the bed for a few weeks before the SBT came to live with us and made the transition to crate really smoothly :)