Very Small Lump -

kelpiecuddles

I had the dogs down the beach today so i've just bathed and brushed them. While drying Josie i've found a little spherical lump in the piece of loose skin that runs between her belly and her rear leg. It's smaller than a pea and this is the first time I've noticed it so at this stage I'm not too worried but I'll keep an eye on it obviously. At what point do you worry? I'm seeing the vet tomorrow for the dogs to get heart worm tested but it's only supposed to be in and out for the test, the appointment doesn't include a 'consult'.

ETA: Obviously I am worried or I wouldn't be making this post LOL, but when do you REALLY worry...

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I take into account where it is, if it feels attached to flesh or movable, how quickly it appears to be growing etc in judging urgency. Every lump is vet checked, whether I treat it as an emergency varies. But I have never had any turn out to be malignant yet. Had a scare two weeks ago but all OK.

Edited by Diva

Thanks, it felt quite mobile and distinctly round, could move it around with my fingers like it was a tiny marble. None of my critters have ever had any lumps, including my 21 year old cat, so this is a first for me! One of the vet nurses there is my neighbour so if she's there tomorrow when we arrive I'll have a chat to her before we see the vet and i'll decide whether we need to extend the visit or whether I wait a few weeks to see if it changes at all.

Mine have had a few lipomas over the years as they aged, they are harmless and have distinctive feel I can recognise. Movable and round sounds not too scary, hope it is just a cyst or something.

Edited by Diva

I usually monitor for a week or two and see if it grows. I had one on Boston that started out like a pimple, and within a week it had doubled it size, so that was a vet trip. She let it grow as it was suspected histiocytoma, but it got so big it was eventually biopsied and removed (and confirmed benign) but since it grew so rapidly I worried. Now anytime he has a lump I worry, but wait and see if it grows or develops over a week. If not, I mention it at the next vet trip.

I found a lump that sounds like that one, on my tibbie Angel's side. Showed it to the vet who took a needle biopsy. Said some cells looked a bit 'iffy'. Angel was put under for a fuller investigation. I was worried sick waiting for the results. Result was, it was a small fatty lump. No problem at all.

I take mine to the vet EVERY time I find a lump regardless of what it feels like, looks like, or it's rate of growth.

When Boof was almost 7 I found a wart like lump on his hind leg. I felt it had appeared quickly. It looked pretty innocous though. He was going to the vet for a dental check anyway so I had them check the lump. The vet was unconcerned and felt it was most likely a lipoma.

While he was under getting his teeth done they removed the lump and sent it off to path. I was shocked when it came back as a mast cell tumour.

Fast forward another few years and he has now had 5 tumours removed of various grades. They each came up in a different area and looked a little different. One was found by my vet when I was showing another to him. The one the vet found was udner the skin and that was why I didnt see it or realise it was there. None were overly large.

They can do a simple needle biopsy during the consult to see if it is just a lipoma. I'd get the biopsy done at the very least.

Olivia on the other hand has had two lumps come up and both are lipomas.

Edited by ~Anne~

Mine have had a few lipomas over the years as they aged, they are harmless and have distinctive feel I can recognise. Movable and round sounds not too scary, hope it is just a cyst or something.

Even a vet can't diagnose by feel. MCTs in particular can take many forms. Several of Boof's were moveable and round.

Our girl had a small lump (it got uglier as we left it) in the same position as Josie. It was a histiocytoma and went away on its own. A friend's GSD had a similar looking lump again in the same place - hers was a Mast Cell Tumour which was thankfully removed with clear margins. I would get it looked at to make sure, then it is easier to fix if it is something nasty.

Every lump should be checked, every single one...

I learned that lesson the hard way and it ended up costing an arm and a leg over 6 years for treatment and supplements. I would do it again in a heart beat but in all honesty, I really wish I had pushed the issue and checked them so much sooner than they were aspirated.

In saying that, I would think that most lumps are probably nothing to worry about - but in my opinion, it is much better to be safe (and out of pocket a few bucks for the vet and pathology) than it is to be sorry and out of pocket a whole lot.. Or worse, the loss of a pet.

Well it seems like it's probably nothing to worry about. The vet actually thinks she might have copped a tooth there when playing and that it's actually a bit of a blood clot/bruising. So we'll wait and see if it disappears over the next week or so :)

Great news :)

My eldest hound is prone to lipomas and a graze that breaks the skin seems to trigger them. We've had a couple removed but they were in areas where they were likely to be knocked about a bit so cut off just to be safe.

If it's small, mobile and firm, I wouldn't be too worried. Watch it for rapid growth or changes and if it's still there a week later, we go to the vet to have them biopsied.