Has Anyone Used Spray Shield To Protect Themselves And Their Dogs On W

Alison03

I can tell you right now that even capsicum spray directly into the face/eyes (used by police) won't work on a dog that has passed the point of "intent"...

T.

Wow, that is scary. I would have thought that the spray would mess with the vision and smell to the point that the dog wouldn't be able to continue an attack, assuming it didn't already have hold of the person or dog?

Now a taser might do the job nicely :D But seriously, a walking type stick that could emit a suitable electric shock would be great for the elderly.

Apparently pepper spray doesn't always stop the truly focussed dog, a taser however might have an affect or a cattle prod but of course they are illegal to carry unless you are a police officer.

I think the way the elderly are being attacked by human beings and dogs these days, there should be something they can use in self defense.

However that won't be allowed because the powers that be would be afraid of the wrong people getting hold of the devices, of course the wrong people have already got more than enough weapons anyway. (Not to mention vicious dogs in some cases) It's a case of the normal nice folks not being allowed to defend themselves, in this topsy turvy world might is always right.

Back in the world of the rule followers where we all live, we just have to bind our wounds and bury our dead because if we arm everyone chaos will reign, when you get attacked by someone's "friendly dog, whose never done anything like this before" it pretty much feels like chaos is already here.

Sorry for the sarcasm guys, I just read an article about an elderly woman in her 80's who was seriously injured by an off leash dog (that guess what...has never done it before) while walking her dog. (On leash). ????

I can tell you right now that even capsicum spray directly into the face/eyes (used by police) won't work on a dog that has passed the point of "intent"...

T.

Wow, that is scary. I would have thought that the spray would mess with the vision and smell to the point that the dog wouldn't be able to continue an attack, assuming it didn't already have hold of the person or dog?

Now a taser might do the job nicely :D But seriously, a walking type stick that could emit a suitable electric shock would be great for the elderly.

cattle prod (some are the size of a ruler)

T.

cattle prod (some are the size of a ruler)

I thought those cattle prods were for putting the animal down? Or can they be used to move the animals where you want them to go? Legality aside, I was really thinking along the lines of something that could put just enough shock to make a dog back off, but after reading about how pepper spray doesn't work on a dog highly focussed on attack, I would wonder if anything other than a big jolt would do the trick?

Edited by Yonjuro

T.

A taser would possibly work - but not one of those piddly personal use ones you can buy over the internet... you need the higher end professional ones like the police carry.

I know that capsicum spray doesn't work because a policeman tried 2.5 cans of the stuff on one of MY dogs - 2 of my dogs were having a full on barney in my own back yard, the police were "visiting" a neighbour and heard me yelling and trying to pull one of them off the other, and came over to "help"... boots, batons, capsicum spray - nothing worked because both dogs were way too far gone in the heat of the fight to detract them from their purpose. The 2 dogs finally succumbed to exhaustion after the longest 6 minutes of my life...

Now - if the policeman had done what I asked/instructed - grab the back legs of one of the dogs and pull - there would have been no need for the amount of paperwork he ended up having to do for discharging all that capsicum spary, the dogs would have had less injuries, and all would have turned out much better than it did... *sigh*

T.

T.

A taser would possibly work - but not one of those piddly personal use ones you can buy over the internet... you need the higher end professional ones like the police carry.

I know that capsicum spray doesn't work because a policeman tried 2.5 cans of the stuff on one of MY dogs - 2 of my dogs were having a full on barney in my own back yard, the police were "visiting" a neighbour and heard me yelling and trying to pull one of them off the other, and came over to "help"... boots, batons, capsicum spray - nothing worked because both dogs were way too far gone in the heat of the fight to detract them from their purpose. The 2 dogs finally succumbed to exhaustion after the longest 6 minutes of my life...

Now - if the policeman had done what I asked/instructed - grab the back legs of one of the dogs and pull - there would have been no need for the amount of paperwork he ended up having to do for discharging all that capsicum spary, the dogs would have had less injuries, and all would have turned out much better than it did... *sigh*

T.

What a horrible situation you had to face. I will admit that I am surprised the sprays are so useless in situations such as this, but you have first hand experience and that is good enough for me.

Those two dogs don't run together any more for precisely that reason - if they have a fight, it's on to the death. However, I can take them (separately) to a crowded dog park and have other dogs rush or try to dominate them, and they don't react... go figure?

I know exactly what they are capable of in a fight, yet they don't do it with other dogs... neither of them have issues with my other 2 dogs either - just each other.

T.

1378180381[/url]' post='6290039']
1378175619[/url]' post='6289925']
1378160652[/url]' post='6289784']

T.

Apparently pepper spray doesn't always stop the truly focussed dog, a taser however might have an affect or a cattle prod but of course they are illegal to carry unless you are a police officer.

I think the way the elderly are being attacked by human beings and dogs these days, there should be something they can use in self defense.

However that won't be allowed because the powers that be would be afraid of the wrong people getting hold of the devices, of course the wrong people have already got more than enough weapons anyway. (Not to mention vicious dogs in some cases) It's a case of the normal nice folks not being allowed to defend themselves, in this topsy turvy world might is always right.

Back in the world of the rule followers where we all live, we just have to bind our wounds and bury our dead because if we arm everyone chaos will reign, when you get attacked by someone's "friendly dog, whose never done anything like this before" it pretty much feels like chaos is already here.

Sorry for the sarcasm guys, I just read an article about an elderly woman in her 80's who was seriously injured by an off leash dog (that guess what...has never done it before) while walking her dog. (On leash). ????

How about an umbrella? I came across a suggestion that the surprise of having a brelly open in its face will stop many dogs.

1378180381[/url]' post='6290039']
1378175619[/url]' post='6289925']
1378160652[/url]' post='6289784']

T.

How about an umbrella? I came across a suggestion that the surprise of having a brelly open in its face will stop many dogs.

Actually when I got attacked it was a big golf umbrella that saved us, it was open because it was raining, I put it down in front of us when I saw the dogs coming at speed, it slowed them down, the leader of the two didn't stop though he came around the back of us and grabbed my little dog around the middle, it's only when you see something like that you realise how big their mouths are. I used the umbrella to beat the dog with then. You do need a certain level of fitness to do all this, (I got knocked down at one point in the fight) I don't think an elderly person could do it, especially if they had balance issues, which a lot of older people do. Something they could point and spray would be a lot easier.