Has Anyone Used Spray Shield To Protect Themselves And Their Dogs On W

Alison03

After being attacked by two large dogs last year, I didn't walk my little dog for months. We both missed our walks but mentally I couldn't bring myself to do it. Once the flash backs had subsided I started researching a dog deterrent that would make be feel a bit safer, I discovered that dog pepper spray is illegal in NSW, the only other spray thats legal is called "Spray Shield" it's a citronella spray harmless to dogs but it comes out of the can with some force, so a bit of shock value and they don't like the smell. I've used it once on a Border Collie that charged out of its garden, I actually sprayed it on the ground in front of the dog, it turned and ran. Not sure how well it would work on two dogs.

Has anyone had any experience of this spray or anything like it?

I've not heard of it, but if it works :shrug:.

The only thing I thought of is that if it is used regularly in the manner you did, how quickly would the smell disperse and would dogs become used to sniffing it as they walked around which would obviously reduce its usefulness.

Not that it would need to be sprayed every few metres, of course :D , just thinking out aloud.

I'm going to start by spraying it on the ground in front of them, it hits with a splat which makes them naturally move backwards, the spray to the face is my last resort. It sprays quite a distance too so you don't have to be very close to the dog. It's totally harmless, I've used it on my dog when she wouldn't stop barking at the new chickens next door, it stopped her barking for a while and she shook herself a bit but that's it. Like you say if it works. ????

I think it will have shock value for certain types of dogs but not sure about the truly focussed ones.

I think dog pepper spray would be very useful, but firstly it's not legal here and secondly it could blow back on me. This stuff is unpleasant ( had a bit of blow back) but not terrible. ????

I read a dog trainer's tip after a US website that reported on a case where an owner struggled to save her golden retriever from an off-leash dog that'd gripped it by the leg. She suggested straight white vinegar:

I usually recommend a small squirt gun or spray bottle filled with straight white vinegar. Vinegar will sting when it hits the mucus membranes (eyes & nose), but will not cause any permanent or long-term damage to the animals.

Trouble is you'd have to have good aim in a stressful, chaotic situation. I'd think that something which let loose more of a spray into the air would be better. And that 'Spray Shield' seems to do that.

Those spats stop mildly aggressive dogs, but won't stop a dog that really means business. Don't bother spraying on the ground, spray straight in the face and don't stop until the can is empty (about 12 seconds). It is not harmful to dogs

I think you're right. Just as people were describing their experiences in the other thread. The real nightmare is the dogs that mean business when they attack ....so highly pumped with adrenaline that discomforts wouldn't register.

Thanks Mita the white vinegar will be a good alternative if I can't get hold of any Spray Shield. I got it online from Animalcare by the way.

I spray on the ground if the dog isn't too worked up, it puts a lot of them off the idea of coming up to us, the Border Collie is the only one I was really worried about because it was moving fast until I sprayed. I know I'll be in trouble with a truly aggressive dog Megan and trust me I'd empty the can on it. ???? Funnily enough the Border Collie doesn't fly out of his garden when we walk passed now. He doesn't even bark.

My little dog walks well and is non reactive but after a confrontation she is not happy and wants to go home. She had a bad experience that she hasn't forgotten.

I've considered a spray as I found one on a site recently. And some idiots have been letting very unsuitable dogs off leash behind my place.

I have 3 dogs, two small dogs and a kelpie who has turned out to be very fearful of other dogs.

I am worried about the owners a bit. Some owners think their dogs are OK and I thought if I did something and the dog took off howling , then I'd be in trouble. But the spray doesn't cause such a severe reaction then?

If a dog was really set on attack you are pretty stuffed anyway.

I was abused by a bloke (and he did have a girlfriend with him) recently who was really aggressive and physically threatening in an on lead park. I did have mine on lead ( for a change) and while his dog was off lead, I simply asked him in a relaxed tone to call his dog back ( as it charged towards us) as mine weren't that friendly. He took that to mean they were vicious, and just charged over and went ballistic. He was basically chasing me down the path, telling me to get out of the park before he hit me. He was ranting such vicious stuff like I'd done something really bad. He also threatened to kick my dogs head in. He was demanding to know which dog wasn't friendly and saying he'd kick it's bloody head in.

I stood in front of all 3 dogs then and got upset as I gestured at them and told him to look at them, 2 chihuahua x's and a petrified young kelpie. He was really mental and obviously had a anger management problem.

Imagine spraying his dog? Which btw was a black staffy that took off back to the girlfriend and was also scared. Nice dog but the owner needs desexing!

Maybe I should have sprayed him and then run really fast smile.gif

So I've thought of carrying a stick or a spray. Would love to hear how it goes.

Hmmm that's a good question. I have also been berated by owners with their dogs off leash, while mine has been leashed because I've asked them nicely to get control of their dog. Nobody as violent as the person you came in contact with, sounds like his dog has been attacked too, as he overreacted somewhat, the presence of the girlfriend may have encouraged his gorilla display.

When my dog was attacked by two large off leash dogs, it happened very quickly and silently, they just ran fast at us, one went around the back of me and grabbed her, (she was on leash) the other came around the front to get hold of her too, it all happened in a split second, I went absolutely crazy with my open golf umbrella which made the second dog back off, the one with my dog in its mouth had started to shake my dog who was yelping horribly, I clobbered like a maniac, it dropped her.

A large dog can kill a small dog in seconds, they just shake and crunch down and they are dead. Knowing how I reacted with that attack I know I'd react with blind anger if it happened again, I'd spray them, kick them, stamp on them, whatever it took to release her. If they killed her I'd persue the owners through the courts. So I guess my answer is I'd spray the dog if it got aggressively close and the man too if necessary. While he was wondering if he'd been sprayed with something highly toxic I'd make my escape. Saying "I'd wash that of your face before it takes affect", might send him looking for a tap. ????????

You may be asking the wrong person as I'm a little damaged by my experience, if folk think I'm nuts that works for me too, especially if it makes them leash their dogs when they see me coming, if another dog wants to ruin my day by attacking my dog, and if the owner won't deflect it's dog I will try my best to do it myself and bugger the consequences.

I have been approached at speed by off leash dogs on my walks, spraying the Spray Shield on the floor in front of them has stopped them so far, (it has a strong citronella smell) their owners who are usually on their phones or lying on the grass sunning themselves aren't aware of the spray at all. Even if I had to spray a dog in the face (it's totally harmless) the strong smell may lead the owner to think their dogs has found something odd to chew on.

By the way a dog that is going to attack does not bark, it's hunting, it moves fast and its silent. A dog that is curious and wants to be friends will approach and stop a few meters away, they sniff and walk up slowly (not in a stalking manner) always ready to move away if they sense they are not welcome. I'm more than happy to accommodate those dogs. However I always have the spray ready.

I was abused by a bloke (and he did have a girlfriend with him) recently who was really aggressive and physically threatening in an on lead park. I did have mine on lead ( for a change) and while his dog was off lead, I simply asked him in a relaxed tone to call his dog back ( as it charged towards us) as mine weren't that friendly. He took that to mean they were vicious, and just charged over and went ballistic. He was basically chasing me down the path, telling me to get out of the park before he hit me. He was ranting such vicious stuff like I'd done something really bad. He also threatened to kick my dogs head in. He was demanding to know which dog wasn't friendly and saying he'd kick it's bloody head in.

I stood in front of all 3 dogs then and got upset as I gestured at them and told him to look at them, 2 chihuahua x's and a petrified young kelpie. He was really mental and obviously had a anger management problem.

That's awful behaviour. He threatened you with violence... not only your dogs. Did you consider reporting it to the police? I know it's difficult when you don't know the person's identity.

The girlfriend sure got a front row seat to how she'll get treated if he doesn't like something she says.

So sorry you had to meet someone with such a disturbed personality as that bloke. And he'll go on to do the same to other people...

Has anyone tried those hand held ultrasonic things that you point at approaching dogs that is supposed to scare them off? I know it would also freak out your own dogs if it was effective but worthwhile in an emergency situation?

Has anyone tried those hand held ultrasonic things that you point at approaching dogs that is supposed to scare them off? I know it would also freak out your own dogs if it was effective but worthwhile in an emergency situation?

After the dog attack I was afraid to walk my dog for nearly 12 months, I researched the ultrasonic devices and got one called a Dazer, to be honest I'm not sure if it really works or not, my dog couldn't have cared less about it when I tried it on her.

I used it on dogs that were throwing themselves at fences when we walked passed, it didn't seem to have much affect on them either, whereas the spray has an immediate reaction.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has had any good experiences with the ultrasonic devices.

If you're going the white vinegar route, you might see if you can get your hands on some very hot peppers, stick 'em in the blender with the vinegar, strain the lot, and put it in your spray bottle. Pepper spray may be illegal, but I doubt they can outlaw putting some concoction in a bottle and spraying it at attackers.

(I've just made some home made Tabasco sauce . . . mostly vinegar and Tabasco peppers. It's deadly and there's lots of room to give it more bite).

If you're going the white vinegar route, you might see if you can get your hands on some very hot peppers, stick 'em in the blender with the vinegar, strain the lot, and put it in your spray bottle. Pepper spray may be illegal, but I doubt they can outlaw putting some concoction in a bottle and spraying it at attackers.

(I've just made some home made Tabasco sauce . . . mostly vinegar and Tabasco peppers. It's deadly and there's lots of room to give it more bite).

+1

Yep, this really works. You actually don't need much pepper/chilli/capsicum for this to be quite strong. Coffee filters work really well to remove the gunk. Beware though, this is a pretty full on way of dealing with an aggressive dog or person. Having said that, if it is a case of protecting mine, then I would use it and deal with the consequences later.

I suspect strong sprays work. I've lived most of my life in places that have skunks. I've never heard of a dog that didn't retreat when it got skunked! or a skunk being killed by a dog. Aiming for the face is important. And frankly, I wouldn't want to do permanent damage, but if an aggressive dog gets a dose of pain after it attacks, it's all right with me.

Edited by sandgrubber

I have thought about this but I don't want to hammer a curious dog with it, ????sometimes it's hard to know a strange dogs intentions, I'd rather use something milder for that. I read on one site someone saying to carry Spray Shield and Pepper Spray so you can chose which one you think will work best in a situation, a bit like wearing Batman's Utility Belt ????, I'm hoping I don't have to resort to this. ????

I can tell you right now that even capsicum spray directly into the face/eyes (used by police) won't work on a dog that has passed the point of "intent"...

T.

Yes I know, I've had conversations with police who've had to go on properties where there are hunting dogs, only bullets work. If the dogs are in kill mode. Although they do tranquilize the ones they've got the time to work with. Scary that people own dogs like that, they belong in a zoo next to the lions.

I can tell you right now that even capsicum spray directly into the face/eyes (used by police) won't work on a dog that has passed the point of "intent"...

T.

Wow, that is scary. I would have thought that the spray would mess with the vision and smell to the point that the dog wouldn't be able to continue an attack, assuming it didn't already have hold of the person or dog?

Now a taser might do the job nicely :D But seriously, a walking type stick that could emit a suitable electric shock would be great for the elderly.