Human Grade Chicken Mince Or Chicken Frames Minced?

Hi

I'm new to owning a puppy and so have a few questions. I have a 16 week old Mini Foxie. I am feeding him a good quality kibble for breakfast. For dinner I am giving him some chicken necks (chopped up) and soon will try him on chicken wings. For the nights I don;t give him the meaty bones I have him on a mix of chicken mince (human grade from Woolies) and Natures Gift tinned puppy food. What I want to know is what is the best type of chicken mince to feed him as he gets older - the chicken mince from the supermarket I have been using or chicken frames mince which I know I can get from Lenards?

Also, is it okay to give meaty bones every day or does it cause constipation? I've noticed his poos are quite chalky and white when he has the chicken necks.

Hi :)

No need to chop chicken necks .. that 's why dogs have teeth! ..a good sized chicken neck or wing is great chewing for a puppy - keeps them occupied and exercised for some time .

he doesn't need mince at all, unless he's unwell , or has lost a lot of teeth ... chicken wings, frames (cut into 1/4's) , lamb flap pieces, beef ribs/oxtails.. he will appreciate them all!

he will also benefit from the addition of things like eggs, sardines,half apples to play with/chew,...

Hi :)

No need to chop chicken necks .. that 's why dogs have teeth! ..a good sized chicken neck or wing is great chewing for a puppy - keeps them occupied and exercised for some time .

he doesn't need mince at all, unless he's unwell , or has lost a lot of teeth ... chicken wings, frames (cut into 1/4's) , lamb flap pieces, beef ribs/oxtails.. he will appreciate them all!

he will also benefit from the addition of things like eggs, sardines,half apples to play with/chew,...

I would just like to say my gorgeous Frenchie Gracie had teeth and she choked on a chicken neck :cry:

If you have to use mince definitely use the minced frames as they contain the minced bones, as well as traces of offal, which have important nutritional value. Human mince is only meat.

Interesting discussion - like Frodo's Mum, my dog almost choked to death on a chicken neck - the most frightening experience I've ever had! As such I have been too afraid to give my Maltese pup (now 6 months) bones of any kind yet ..... I guess I am being overly paranoid after a single experience and most dogs have no problems .... it would probably make me feel better to give a larger bone for my pup to chew on .... what do you recommend??

Turkey necks are great! They are gigantic so a Maltese wouldn't be able to get one down its throat. Depending on the lot if they are extra big I give my pup half of one as a whole meal.

As Perse said chicken frames are good too.

Edited by LisaCC

When my latest mini schnauzer came to us at 8 weeks of age, by the time he was 9 weeks old he was eating chicken frames for one of his meals. Puppies can cope with these bones and before long, he was eating some of the harder bones. With the chicken necks, I would use a meat mallet and bash them a bit and then feed. I feel the enjoyable part of the meal is to actually 'get stuck into' the bones.

Thanks everyone.

So should I be concerned about the white poo he did today? He had some chicken necks last night - as I said I give them to him twice a week at the moment. If I start giving him chicken bones every night (wings and necks), isn't he going to have white, constipated poo all the time? This worries me and was the reason why I was looking at doing the mince thing for half of the weekly nights and the necks / wings the other nights?

Thanks everyone.

So should I be concerned about the white poo he did today? He had some chicken necks last night - as I said I give them to him twice a week at the moment. If I start giving him chicken bones every night (wings and necks), isn't he going to have white, constipated poo all the time? This worries me and was the reason why I was looking at doing the mince thing for half of the weekly nights and the necks / wings the other nights?

I give mine two feeds a day now that they're past the puppy stage. The meaty bone part in the morning and the meat part in the evening. This includes the proteins in the form of different meats as in chicken, lamb, beef, fish plus egg, low fat cottage cheese, sardine or low fat plain yoghurt. Your puppy will of course need to be fed more than twice a day at this stage.

Thanks everyone.

I give mine two feeds a day now that they're past the puppy stage. The meaty bone part in the morning and the meat part in the evening. This includes the proteins in the form of different meats as in chicken, lamb, beef, fish plus egg, low fat cottage cheese, sardine or low fat plain yoghurt. Your puppy will of course need to be fed more than twice a day at this stage.

Thanks But I am feeding him kibble as well. I want to feed a premium quality kibble (morning)and supplement it with some raw food (dinner). Will kibble and RMB every day cause constipation? This is why I thought I'd give him RMB maybe 3 times a week and just some meat that does not contain bones the other days. But if I can feed him kibble plus RMB every day that would be my preference. Does this sound ok?

Thanks everyone.

Have a look at this old video from the Midday Show in 1993.

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/tvVideo/raymartin/raymartin.html

Ive been feeding Miah different raw minces.. one being chicken mince from frames (from the butchers), but now shes older i give her also cut up sections of the actual chicken frame.

sometimes her poos have been whitish (due to chicken frames), but i also make sure i give her some raw veges with her raw mince meals and after any bones :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs