Anyone Had This Happen?

My dog has had hives and a swollen face 3 times this week. The first time his face became so puffy I was worried about him actually not being able to breath.

All 3 times it happened after my dog ate canned fish (woolworths brand pink salmon) or had fish oil tablets.

He is nearly 3 years old and has eaten these things all his life but on the balance of probability I think he has developed a reaction to something fishy recently.

Anyone else had this experience with fish products or any other food?

Allergies can develop to certain proteins after a dog has eaten them without issue for years. I can't recall that I've heard of salmon allergies before in dogs, but not impossible, surely. I did have a cat that was allergic to most fish but she was that way from birth.

Hives and a swollen face would make me suspect a contact allergy or a sting or bite rather than a food allergy, but it still could be a food allergy. Anyway it is fairly easy to check - have some anti-histamines on hand from your vet, choose a day when you can supervise him all day, toilet him only on leash that day so you can ensure that he doesn't stick his face into something in the garden and deliberately give him canned fish (try sardines or mackerel rather than salmon).

If nothing happens, then you know that whichever fish you fed him was safe. Repeat on another observation day with the fish oil capsules. If still no reaction, try the canned salmon next time. If still nothing then you will need to look elsewhere for the allergen.

Allergies can develop to certain proteins after a dog has eaten them without issue for years. I can't recall that I've heard of salmon allergies before in dogs, but not impossible, surely. I did have a cat that was allergic to most fish but she was that way from birth.

Hives and a swollen face would make me suspect a contact allergy or a sting or bite rather than a food allergy, but it still could be a food allergy. Anyway it is fairly easy to check - have some anti-histamines on hand from your vet, choose a day when you can supervise him all day, toilet him only on leash that day so you can ensure that he doesn't stick his face into something in the garden and deliberately give him canned fish (try sardines or mackerel rather than salmon).

If nothing happens, then you know that whichever fish you fed him was safe. Repeat on another observation day with the fish oil capsules. If still no reaction, try the canned salmon next time. If still nothing then you will need to look elsewhere for the allergen.

Our vet thought it was a insect bite too, and it could well be because he is partial to chasing bees and hornets ect, but just happened that each time it happened he had eaten something fish based. We also were in two places 800km apart when it happened so either the insect traveled with us or it was something in each area.

I'll try the experiment with the salmon after this weekend- he is going for his champion title and a tracking dog title on Saturday :crossfingers: