I'm Becoming Afraid To Walk My Dogs

*kirty*

Not every offlead dog is a danger.

I actually disagree. Unattended dogs can form packs and do things that each individual dog would never dream of doing on their own. They are not only a danger to motorists due to causing accidents and pedestrians due to attacking them or harassing their on lead dogs, but they are also a problem for livestock and pet owners because a pack of dogs will often go hunting together.

All dogs need to be contained, even the friendly ones. A friendly dog will often kill just as many sheep, and just as fast as an unfriendly one.

ETA: I am referring to dogs who are not under effective control, with or without an owner present basically.

I made that statement as I can't say that 100% of off-lead dogs are always an accident waiting to happen. But in saying that I do believe having all dogs On-lead when not contained or under effective control can reduce accidents.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually disagree. Unattended dogs can form packs and do things that each individual dog would never dream of doing on their own. They are not only a danger to motorists due to causing accidents and pedestrians due to attacking them or harassing their on lead dogs, but they are also a problem for livestock and pet owners because a pack of dogs will often go hunting together.

All dogs need to be contained, even the friendly ones. A friendly dog will often kill just as many sheep, and just as fast as an unfriendly one.

ETA: I am referring to dogs who are not under effective control, with or without an owner present basically.

I made that statement as I can't say that 100% of off-lead dogs are always an accident waiting to happen. But in saying that I do believe having all dogs On-lead when not contained or under effective control can reduce accidents.

Banning people from having dogs would eliminate the risks completely but not many people would find that solution satisfactory. It's all about where you draw the line. I'm in no way suggesting it should be some sort if free for all and I understand your point of view, you just draw the line a bit further than I would.

Well for many people every off leash dog is a danger. I have a reactive dog so any dog running up to me is a potential fight, my dog has the right and if he's to be retrained, the need to walk unaccosted. Many elderly or infirm people cannot walk their dogs for fear of a fall if they're involved in a friendly or not mellee with an off leasher. People reliant on their dogs for assistance are placed in danger if their dog is involved with another.

I believe their are certain religions that are not too happy about dog contact either, you don't have to agree but you should respect that.

I propose no more laws but some funding to police existing laws. I don't know who to vote for in the next election, first pollie to give funding to dog rangers can have my vote.

Edited by hankdog

Banning people from having dogs would eliminate the risks completely but not many people would find that solution satisfactory. It's all about where you draw the line. I'm in no way suggesting it should be some sort if free for all and I understand your point of view, you just draw the line a bit further than I would.

Fair enough.

This just my opinion at this point in time. I feel that by keeping off-lead,roaming, wandering, and strays off the street we can reduce incidents from happening simply due to them not being there. Reducing the risk of incidents by removing risky behaviour from the environment.

Just by looking in the News section of this Forum, many of the dogs involved in those incidents were off-leash, ran out of an open gate/door, jumped a fence etc etc. basically not under control. We've got to start somewhere and I think keeping dogs under control at all times is a good start.

Well for many people every off leash dog is a danger. I have a reactive dog so any dog running up to me is a potential fight, my dog has the right and if he's to be retrained, the need to walk unaccosted. Many elderly or infirm people cannot walk their dogs for fear of a fall if they're involved in a friendly or not mellee with an off leasher. People reliant on their dogs for assistance are placed in danger if their dog is involved with another.

I believe their are certain religions that are not too happy about dog contact either, you don't have to agree but you should respect that.

I completely agree with this. If you are walking your dog off lead and it's doing these things then you aren't being responsible for your dog. I feel sorry for people that have had such a negative experience with dogs that they view all off leads dogs as a threat. They aren't all a threat and walking a dog without a lead is a pretty normal and basic thing to do and can be done whilst being responsible and respectful.

Just by looking in the News section of this Forum, many of the dogs involved in those incidents were off-leash, ran out of an open gate/door, jumped a fence etc etc. basically not under control. We've got to start somewhere and I think keeping dogs under control at all times is a good start.

Exactly. And it's my view that you don't need to tie a dog to you in order to keep it under control.

Exactly. And it's my view that you don't need to tie a dog to you in order to keep it under control.

The 'average' dog owner is not as talented as the Dog Whisperer. Containing a dog in a secure yard and having it on-lead in public can keep it away from harm simply because it is not physically in proximity of another dog, person, animal or car. Having a dog off-lead just increases the chances of incidents happening. Even the highly trained dogs are put on lead. Imagine if all security dogs were leash-less and only voice controlled. Wouldn't the security companies insurance policy shoot up 200%. Police dogs working crowd control? Just stand by my side Fido. Fido? where'd you go?

It's all about taking precautions and we have to take some form of action and do what we can at this point in time to protect the public from harm.

My dogs have only been attacked twice - and neither times was while out walking or at a dog park. Both times were during an agility class, which isn't where you'd normally expect to see that sort of thing ...

My 4 yo has been roughed up and badly frightened twice by agility dogs at agility seminars with top OS presenters. People who should've had an effective recall and should've known better. :banghead:

Guest Clover

This is my biggest fear as an owner of reactive dogs. It does not matter if the roaming or out of control dog wants to say hello. Most dogs will react back when "greeted" with barking, snapping etc & then it is usually on for young and old.

The 'average' dog owner is not as talented as the Dog Whisperer. Containing a dog in a secure yard and having it on-lead in public can keep it away from harm simply because it is not physically in proximity of another dog, person, animal or car. Having a dog off-lead just increases the chances of incidents happening. Even the highly trained dogs are put on lead. Imagine if all security dogs were leash-less and only voice controlled. Wouldn't the security companies insurance policy shoot up 200%. Police dogs working crowd control? Just stand by my side Fido. Fido? where'd you go?

It's all about taking precautions and we have to take some form of action and do what we can at this point in time to protect the public from harm.

But then along comes a children's tv show portraying an attack trained police dog running around the streets of Vienna on his own. So why shouldn't people, especially children, be blasé about dog safety and having their dogs on a leash?

I seem to recall even Lassie didn't spend much time on a leash.

if the dog is off lead in an off lead area, then i agree. but if it is an onlead area, i have an issue. I own a dog that doesnt like strange dogs. i only walk her in on lead spots. off leash dogs ruin our walks because i do t know what they are going to fo. the "friendly " dog coming to say hello can cause a fight. my girl is dmall so she doesnt stand much of a chance. i follow thd law, and yet im the one that loses out in this situation. i am constantly tired because i get up at 5 am to walk her to avoid off lead "dont sorry hes friendly" dogs . if everyone followed the law, lucy could have a much more rich life and i couls reduce my stress anc sleep in one day a wee k.

I'm actually pretty shocked at the number of people here who have reactive dogs - and are advocating everyone else lock theirs up so they can take them for walks wherever and whenever...

Most dogs I have met running loose in my area have been friendly - in some cases way too friendly with anyone and anything approaching them. If I come across a loose dog, I'm likely to knock on it's owner's door and return it to them (in the case of the dog getting out accidentally), or popping them into my car and taking them to the local vet/pound for scanning and return to same. In more cases than not, the dog has been a first time offender in getting out of the yard and has been off having a lovely adventure looking for someone to give them attention/pats.

I live in an area where the number of staffy/mixes completely outnumbers any other breed mix, yet we don't seem to have incidents warranting any media (or ranger) attention around here... go figure?

T.

This is my biggest fear as an owner of reactive dogs. It does not matter if the roaming or out of control dog wants to say hello. Most dogs will react back when "greeted" with barking, snapping etc & then it is usually on for young and old.

Yes, when I had my highly reactive staffy x, we were seated at an outdoor cafe (she was very well trained to quietly drop stay in those conditions), minding our own business & some fools & their offlead/no collar lab walked past. The lab decided to rush at my dog & the next thing I knew I was on the ground, between two snarling dogs. I had my dog's collar in hand & was able to restrain her, but the other dog kept lunging & the idiot owners had no way to get their dog! I kept kicking at it til they somehow got it away. :mad

Hideous experience that could have been avoided by a collar & a lead & OBEYING THE LAW.

And then there has been the ongoing issue (I have reported 2 incidents of attack) with my current, non-reactive, dog and a certain tradesman's aggressively territorial Dally that he thinks should be allowed to roam offlead around his business.

In my experience, most people who think their dogs are under control when deliberately (& illegally) walking them offlead around the streets (you know the type, "I dont need a lead for my dog, aren't I cool") , are fools & tend to make excuses for the inevitable issues their dogs cause.

Sorry, it's a bugbear of mine. :mad

Accidentally loose dogs are another matter. Accidents sometimes happen despite our best efforts.

ETA: if you have problems with a roaming dog, call the council. REPEATEDLY, everytime you see the dog. The owner of the roaming dally we had ongoing problems with, complied in the end, after a long stubborn campaign on my behalf. :thumbsup:

So the system can work, but only if you get involved.

Edited by dee lee

But then along comes a children's tv show portraying an attack trained police dog running around the streets of Vienna on his own. So why shouldn't people, especially children, be blasé about dog safety and having their dogs on a leash?

I seem to recall even Lassie didn't spend much time on a leash.

What is your point?

I'm actually pretty shocked at the number of people here who have reactive dogs - and are advocating everyone else lock theirs up so they can take them for walks wherever and whenever...

Most dogs I have met running loose in my area have been friendly - in some cases way too friendly with anyone and anything approaching them. If I come across a loose dog, I'm likely to knock on it's owner's door and return it to them (in the case of the dog getting out accidentally), or popping them into my car and taking them to the local vet/pound for scanning and return to same. In more cases than not, the dog has been a first time offender in getting out of the yard and has been off having a lovely adventure looking for someone to give them attention/pats.

I live in an area where the number of staffy/mixes completely outnumbers any other breed mix, yet we don't seem to have incidents warranting any media (or ranger) attention around here... go figure?

T.

Your experience is similar to my own. I'm also amazed at how many people on a dog forum are so passionately advocating greater restrictions on dogs instead of better education, training and promoting responsible ownership.

Sent from my iPhone while sipping my morning coffee at my local cafe with my dog asleep under the table.

T.

These people with reactive dogs are doing the RESPONSIBLE thing by not walking their dogs OFF-lead.

Who on this forum can say they have 100% voice control of their dogs? and what about the general population of dog owners? A small percentage I suppose. Which leaves a large percentage of potential incidents if dogs are OFF-lead. The numbers speak for themselves. How many dog incidents involving OFF-lead dogs vs ON-leads dogs. I know which direction the incidents will lean. ANY dog is in far more in CONTROL ON-lead and in a secure yard then then being OFF-lead.

Now everyone wishes they can be the barefoot bushman and have their dog walk itself beside them. But times have changed. The incidents speak for themselves.

Hmm, that conclusion is a bit extreme, T, but I have to concur that most dogs I have found wandering have been friendly and quite often, if I am in the car, have happily jumped in for the trip to the vet for scanning or if gardening out the front, enticing into my garage so I can check tags.

If I come across them when walking, it isn't so easy, because I have five littlies and one is reactive. I can never be sure how good natured a wandering dog is if Myrtie decides to start barking. Some are brilliant (as with two border collies wandering along Myrtle Street one day) and take absolutely no notice, but I can't expect them all to be so sanguine.

The only time of late that I was unable to get close to a wandering dog (growling and bared teeth tend to tell one to stay away :D ), when I finally reached a real person to talk to in the Council, I was informed that the rangers had given instructions not to be called for wandering dogs :shrug:.

I agree wholeheartedly with dee lee regarding repeatedly calling the Council and her comments about people who think they are cool because they don't use leads. Frankly, they aren't cool. They are dickheads.

I do feel sad for those who have had awful experiences whilst walking their dogs, especially posters like Spikey who probably won't get another dog because of it. frown.gif

My dog has been rushed numerous times by dogs whose owners often leave gates open (grrrr) or garden in unfenced front yards with their dogs loose. A couple of times we've been attacked silently from behind and I had no warning. One huge dog flipped Bruno on his back and pinned him, the owner called his dog off luckily. My goofball boxer offered a playbow straight afterwards. embarrass.gifI still find the local streets safer (or at least more predictable) if I stick to a familiar route, than the walk trails around the nearby lake. Sadly, I seem to be one of the few people to obey the leash laws there. It's a nature reserve, the number of loose dogs (and owners with minimal control) is astonishing. If nothing else, the area is riddled with tiger snakes, you'd think people would be more cautious.

I'm lucky in that so far, my dog has a happy-go-lucky temperament. It seems to me that many of the incidents in this thread are simply solved, albeit not by the people and dogs being attacked. If people obeyed leash laws and contained their dogs to their yards/ homes, many of these incidents would never have occurred..

Edited by trinabean

I don't wish for new laws, just that the current laws are complied with. Those who breach leash laws can in no way be considered responsible owners. There is no more room for a loose dog on our suburban and city footpaths than there is for a drunk driver on our freeways, it is that fundamental a public safety issue. If people continue to think they are above such rules, we will end up with more and more outright bans, and they will be deserved.