Pet Insurance

oneteaspoon

Getting a puppy and interested in hearing about good & bad stories

Noticed medibank private has 3 levels but the top cover only

Covers up to $165 general check ups/vaccination yetthe next lower works out to be just under $200 cheaper a year so it really seems the best deal.

After some advise

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a policy through 1300 insurance and they have paid everything I have tried to claim reasonable quickly but they increased my premiums substantially over the first couple of years and also dropped my cover form 100% to only 75% all while increasing my premium...

I now also have a policy with petplan for my new puppy and the premiums are more than my 1300 insurance policy but it seems to provide more substantial cover.

* also good to note is that petplan will cover stuff to do with dental if it is an accident e.g car accident and dental work is needed it will be covered but with 1300 insurance they will never cover anything to do with dental regardless of how the issue with dental occurred.

I use petplan, happy with it, know allot who are also happy with it, they are also the only pet insurance company who will cover your pet for life on illness and injury and have a fixed excess that won't change over time.

I use petplan, happy with it, know allot who are also happy with it, they are also the only pet insurance company who will cover your pet for life on illness and injury and have a fixed excess that won't change over time.

This isn't true. They can, and do, increase their excess along with their rates.

Edited by minimax

This isn't true. They can, and do, increase their excess along with their rates.

Sorry should have been more specific about my quote, their excess is fixed and will not change per "policy year", obviously when you renew they may have upped the rates.

Stay away from anyone underwritten by Hollard (which is most of them!!) After you claim, that becomes an exclusion in the renewal policy, and you're stuck because you can't switch insurers because that would then be an exclusion with everyone else. Pet plan cover for life and are not underwritten by Hollard. Medibank are jerks, too :)