I Found A Staffy!

Flashsmum

Yesterday afternoon a lady came to our fence and called to us in the backyard. She had been down at the river near us with her dog, and a brindle staffy had come over to say hello. No collar or tags. When they had gotten into the car, the fellow had followed them!

They stopped near our place, saw us in the yard, and called out to us to see if we knew the dog. Thought it was a dog that lives around the corner, but when I realised this was a boy, knew it wasn't the one. She didn't know what to do, so I suggested they take it to the local RSPCA/pound and leave it in the cage there, and it would be safe. They didn't want to put into their car with their dog, so I said I would take him. I was tempted to keep him here overnight, but Harry didn't seem to take to him, so thought it was safer to get him to the RSPCA.

He was such a sweetie! He didn't want to hop in the car, so hubby picked him up and he was fine. Put him in the back seat, but before I was out of our street, he had gotten to the passenger seat, and then tried to sit on my lap!

I had to carry him into the cage as he just laid down and wouldn't move when I got him out of the car. I left him in the cage, filled out the paperwork and went to leave, and he whimpered after me. I sooooo wanted to take him home as he was such a nice natured dog.

I called the RSPCA this morning, and they told me he had been reported missing, and the owners were on their way to pick him up!!! I am so happy he will be reunited with his family as he seemed very well cared for. I hope they put a good collar and tags on him, so that if he gets away again, he can reunited with them quicker, without having to spend the night alone is a cage :(

Good on you. I agree I hope his family get strongly counselled to give him a collar with clear ID. A quicker return to the owner gets a lost dog out of the dangers of traffic... & other hazards.

Good on you. I agree I hope his family get strongly counselled to give him a collar with clear ID. A quicker return to the owner gets a lost dog out of the dangers of traffic... & other hazards.

But they are also a strangulation risk so many responsible owners choose not to use them too.

I agree with the strangulation risk, as well, but aren't there break away type collards available?

Our dogs aren't fence jumpers, so we have martingale type collars on them that were made by hubby, and I'm happy to leave them on them when we are out.

I know it's not everyone's choice, but I prefer someone being able to contact me if they found my dog.

break away collars aren't much good as they break away very easily. I had 2 at one stage but my girl kept getting the one on my boy off and if you grabbed them in the wrong spot you were left holding a collar and no dog!

Good on you for keeping the boy safe.

Whilst my dogs might not appreciate a night at the pound they are at least safe there.

But they are also a strangulation risk so many responsible owners choose not to use them too.

That'd be the call of an owner. We've owned dogs for many years & all have worn collars with clear IDs. We regulate the tightness carefully & often, so that the collars don't lend themselves to looping onto items... or the dogs getting a paw stuck in them.

Twice our tibbies have been left out.... by careless tradespeople on site (without our knowing). Both times, they were found close by within 10 minutes... & a phone call got them home. They're microchipped, but microchips depend on a finder being savvy enough to check at a vets... & taking on the time effort.

I know when I see a lost stray dog, I'm greatly relieved to see an ID disk (or Council rego tag) handing from the collar. Chances are up I can get the dog quickly back to an owner.

But, as I said, it's individual owners' call. And I've made mine, based on risk calculation. Besides, our council's rego conditions say the tag must be worn.

Note, I didn't label owners responsible or not responsible re collars. Only 'counselling' re the promptness in which a dog might be got away from hazards.

Edited by mita

Guest donatella

Mita I agree. On my way to work this morning I saw a brindle staffy loose on Ipswich road, I saw he had a collar on and when I was stopped at the lights he was diving in and out of traffic, my stomach was in my mouth but I wasnt in any position to pull over at the time. He then crossed the road following someone else, I hope someone stopped to get him and I hope his collar had his details on. If my dogs were outside dogs they'd have collars on for sure.