Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

P M have you offered this old girl just plain beef mince? Or a meaty bone of some sort? Toast & butter?

but she would not let me or the vet look at her back teeth.

really? Even with someone holding her securely ? :(

This may indicate a painful jaw/gum/'tooth ..or it may be that she has never had this done, or she is just grumpy ...

What is her condition like ? Can you ask anyone what food she was on prior to you ending up with her?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far too early to talk of rehoming!

Best friends, pals for years may still squabble occasionally over food or resource preference. That is quite manageable if regulated properly by the owner.

What is much more important is that Perry has successfully adjusted to other senior bitches before. It won't guarantee that she will become bosom buddies with Friskie but bodes very well for a peaceful companionship to develop. Your instincts are right, you just need a little more patience OK?

Pers, most likely the new senior has never had a dental inspection the vet peering into her mouth may have terrified her, and my guess would be that the vet chose NOT to stress her out unduly. If there was severe tooth decay, then there would be likely to be bad breath, so it was not necessarily a bad call by the vet not to force the issue.

Easy to check for tooth pain by providing a raw meaty bone and watching her tackle it. If she favours one side of her mouth or only uses the front teeth, then it would be worth getting a dental check.

Very early days yet eating wise - she will eat when she is hungry. Take the bowl away after 10 minutes and do not re-offer until the next food time. I have only had the stubbornest of fosters last more than a few days being picky eaters - especially when they can see, through a glass door or baby gate, the other dogs vacuuming their bowls!!

She ate a raw lamb neck the other day with no problems. She had a small amount of raw chicken tonight - I will try some raw beef tomorrow and some vegemite. No problems outside today but she wanted to go to her bed when we came in so I fed her and then left her there - she is now snoozing on my feet.

Edited by Perry's Mum

She sounds like she is settling in Perry's mum. It will just take a bit of time. All strange & new surroundings. As far as her food goes, she may be just a picky eater. I rescued a boy once & had him almost 15 years. I swear I

don't know how he kept going on the amount of food he ate. He was so fussy & when he did eat it was about a handful of food. That's it all day. I would try to give him more but he wouldn't touch it. He was never under weight.

Always spot on 20 kg. A very healthy boy too. I used to worry but he never changed his eating habits in all the years I had him. They are all different aren't they?

Just wanted to also say good on you for taking on this old girl :thumbsup: It is always very worrying at first especially with 2 bitches. I have only one bitch & she is a handful :laugh: As others have said don't feed them

together. Apart & out of sight of each other & pick up the bowls straight away. Even their meaty bones etc pick them up too asap. I've seen some horrendous fights over an empty feed bowl or an old bone. Also feed Perry first. Do

everything with her first eg put her lead on, brush her whatever. She must come first, then Friskie. Keep to a routine. As staffyluv said also walking together I have found that really helped sort out the hierarchy as well. It

really helped my girl fit in with Sonny. Good luck. Will be following this thread with interest :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Glad to hear that you have had a nice day and Friskie is starting to eat. It must be a relief!

We adopted a lovely, sweet natured 3 year old tibbie when our resident tibbie was around the same age. The new tibbie had a very calm, laid back nature but even so it was touch and go for about 2 months with lots of squabbles. Our first tibbie has 'issues' (he's not that great with other dogs) and we had been receiving help from a behaviourist. Both the behaviourist and our new tibbie's breeder recommended lots of walks together, separate feeding areas and time. I second the recommendation for walking the dogs together. I had my doubts when it was suggested to us (I had these visions of 2 dogs having a go at each other with me trying to referee in the middle!)but it really worked and quickly too. I lost a lot of weight during that time from all those walks but the tibbies became firm friends in the end. They still fight over food (on the odd occasion when someone finds a treat that was hidden without my knowledge)but otherwise great with each other. I still have to keep them separated when it comes to food as it is the Achilles heel to their relationship!

I really hope that with time, patience and guidance, Perry and Friskie can live happily together and you can enjoy having a peaceful life with your 2 beautiful dogs. You have my admiration for giving a homeless dog a chance of a new home and life.

I second the recommendation for walking the dogs together.

The best advice I was given was to walk dogs together to help them bond. It's amazing how quickly that's worked when I've tried it.

Once out walking together, the dogs seem to to get a sense of it's the two of us (three with the owner!) against the world.

I've always found food to be trigger points with all the pets, too. The only time my saintly sheltie boy lost his temper was with his food-snatching big 'sister' sheltie. He put up with her snatching his treats for ages... then one day, he'd had enough & he lit into her, even tho' he was a small sheltie. Big sister never troubled him again!

Nothing like feeding separately to keep the peace. :)

Edited by mita

Went for a short walk today over Perry's objections - she hates going for a walk unless there is a clear reason for it - she tried curling her lip and staring a few times but Friskie was set on ignoring her and we returned home without incident.

PM really - Perry doesn't like walks? eek1.gif

Hate to tell you, but she is definitely broken!

Because the walking together is supposed to be the sharing of a pleasurable experience, I'm not sure that walking them together is going to help bond. On the other hand, if Friskie enjoys it, perhaps Perry will learn to enjoy it too?

I suspect that Perry will soon get tired of not getting a reaction from Friskie, very wise Friskie ignoring the would-be bully girl! Things are shaping up nicely! thumbsup1.gif

Perry has never seen the point of going for a walk just to walk. Walking to the local cafe for icecream she thinks is a sensible thing to do. Chasing balls or working sheep - definitely fun, just walking for the sake of it she cannot see the point. She is broken in more than one way - she does not particularly like cuddles either. She puts up with them when I put her in the car and she is belted in and cannot get away but she would never initiate one with me, only with other people. Despite this we have a very strong bond and totally love each other.

Went for a short walk today over Perry's objections - she hates going for a walk unless there is a clear reason for it - she tried curling her lip and staring a few times but Friskie was set on ignoring her and we returned home without incident.

Perry's not alone. I had a tibbie girl, Angel, who hated going for a walk. She'd go about 10 paces, then plant her bottom firmly on the ground & wouldn't budge. BUT as soon as we'd turn around to go home, she'd walk like a... well, angel. So walking home was fine, but not walking away from home. I'd try to trick her by going different routes. But she had a compass in her head.... always knew when the direction was away from home.

I recruited the tibbie boy next door, Brockie, to go with her, as inspiration. He loved walking. Nope, didn't work. When Angel would jib & sit firm ... at first Brockie would lick her face....'Come on, Angel'. But after a while he gave up. No way would he go back & encourage her. His attitude was 'Leave the blonde where she is.... we've got a walk to do!.'

Edited by mita

Perry has never seen the point of going for a walk just to walk. Walking to the local cafe for icecream she thinks is a sensible thing to do. Chasing balls or working sheep - definitely fun, just walking for the sake of it she cannot see the point. She is broken in more than one way - she does not particularly like cuddles either. She puts up with them when I put her in the car and she is belted in and cannot get away but she would never initiate one with me, only with other people. Despite this we have a very strong bond and totally love each other.

I`m interested to read through this thread.I hopped on to DOL to ask a similar question.We have a 16 month old Cocker Spaniel female whom we have had since picking her up from breeder at 8 weeks. Today , after a long wait we are going to see a ex Guide Dog Labrador with a view to bringing her home to join our family. We have been on list for a long time and offered a few dogs but the time has never been right-until now. We are taking whole family(3 teens) and the CS to meet her before decisions are made. I am primarily concernd that the dogs get on but also that the CS is accepting of the new dog. Any ideas.?

Archerlove - it can be much harder to have two females in harmony - I've had loads but I've also heard of lots of problems occurring. Much easier to have a male and a female.

Make sure the intro is on neutral territory. Do the people who have the Lab know if she's good with other female dogs? Is yours?

Then, if all is well - when you get the Lab home - you need to pretty much ignore the dog for 2 weeks - the temptation will be that the whole family wants to make a fuss of the new dog, this is not a great scenario - can cause anxiety in the new dog and issues with the original one.

Like PM you will just need to let things settle and take the dogs out walking in a normal routine.

Are you OK with heaps of hair - Labs are massive shedders, people don't always realise that.

Thanks Dogmad for swift reply. We wanted a female as I didnot want our dear little CS to be humped for rest of her life! LOL

We have had Labs for years and are well aware of their hair situation and other more preferable traits!! After last beautiful girl died 20 months ago wedecided to have a CS as a change but always had view of adding a rescue Lab when we felt the time was right. Our CS is a bit pampered but regularly meets other dogs and visists off leash parks regularly.

I like idea of not making a fuss of Lab for first days and am discussing other points with family. Am off to read this thread again.........................thank you again.