Best Washing Oval Dog Bed Mat?

kelpiecuddles

I need mats for the girls oval plastic shell beds that will handle being thrown in the washing machine on a weekly basis. I'm finding their current mats are starting to smell pretty bad and they are hard to wash. Can anyone recommend something that isn't going to fall apart or get clumpy filling with regular washing?

Edited by kelpiecuddles

We use the green backed vet bed at work. It is very stiff and fluffy at first, it softens the more you wash it. It is quite dense so if you put two layers down, it would be quite thick. It does 'shed' a bit at first but we chuck it in the dryer and it helps remove the loose fluff.

Vet bed is easy to trim to the size and shape you want and is very fluffy. I was always quite comfy sitting in the whelping box on it :)

Mine is not the rubber backed. It lost some fluff the first few washes, but not much. The other bonus is it is so quick and easy to dry - even in winter.

The dogs are washed regularly and I've got a couple of layers over the foam now but they are still starting to smell like old feet LOL. Hence I thought something I could wash would be better and then I'll just throw them through the wash the same night I bath the dogs.

Gonna try and get up the energy tonight to make some, i have rolls and rolls of faux fur in the cupboard and all sorts of other fabric and some wadding too, I'm just so trashed from working fulltime and having no help at home, I can see myself running my hand under the sewing machine LOL

Maybe try covering the mattress in rubber backed curtain fabric. Smell shouldn't go through and if you make it removable you can pull them off and wash them and the smell shouldn't go through the rubber backing too much

I actually tried to buy a dressing gown from the op shop today, huge op shop no dressing gowns! Totally irrelevant to this thread as I was looking for one for a dress up party for my son(Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) but an interesting coincidece that you suggested looking at the op shop for them LOL

I actually tried to buy a dressing gown from the op shop today, huge op shop no dressing gowns! Totally irrelevant to this thread as I was looking for one for a dress up party for my son(Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) but an interesting coincidece that you suggested looking at the op shop for them LOL

Lol everyone else must have had the same idea. I also have towels and doona covers for dogs bedding, from the OP shop.

Edited by minimax

Op shop blankets are great, have used heaps of them over the years. I am now making up all my dogs bedding. I started off with making the blankets to throw over their beds and now I am cutting/covering foam mats for their bedding. Depending on the shape/size of the bed you can use regular pillows and cover them or throw blankets, sheets or clothes over them.

Sounds like you have heaps of great fur fabrics to use up, no matter what you come up with the dogs will love it.