Yoghurt Plus Dry Food

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to revive an old thread again, but thought I'd update my yoghurt making experiences for anyone who was interested.

My 2nd batch I used full cream liddell's lactose free uht, and it was definitely better, but not as thick as I'd hoped.

So, for my 3rd batch, I used the same milk, but also added half a cup of full cream powdered milk (thanks sheena) and it worked out so well! It's super thick and creamy, and tastes and feels like greek yoghurt without any straining.

It is really delicious!! I'm still just using some of each previous batch as my culture, and because I'm using uht milk I haven't had to mess around with heating and cooling the milk. It's super easy and takes me about 5 mins to get a batch sorted. Would be faster if I had a larger jug to mix everything together in - as it is I need to do it in 2 parts.

Very happy! A batch seem to last me about 2 weeks.

Sorry to revive an old thread again, but thought I'd update my yoghurt making experiences for anyone who was interested.

My 2nd batch I used full cream liddell's lactose free uht, and it was definitely better, but not as thick as I'd hoped.

So, for my 3rd batch, I used the same milk, but also added half a cup of full cream powdered milk (thanks sheena) and it worked out so well! It's super thick and creamy, and tastes and feels like greek yoghurt without any straining.

It is really delicious!! I'm still just using some of each previous batch as my culture, and because I'm using uht milk I haven't had to mess around with heating and cooling the milk. It's super easy and takes me about 5 mins to get a batch sorted. Would be faster if I had a larger jug to mix everything together in - as it is I need to do it in 2 parts.

Very happy! A batch seem to last me about 2 weeks.

:thumbsup: Sounds all good. I just mix mine in a bowl, then pour it into my thermal pot. You might find after a few batches, you will need to get some fresh culture. Yep & your right about the UHT Milk, only needs to be heated to 40d to add the culture. :)

I've been using a jug because my yoghurt maker has lots of little jars, so they'd be messy to pour into from a bowl. I add the culture at room temp then chuck it all into the yoghurt maker and voila! (or 12hrs later rather).

Yeah, I've heard the culture can get a bit worn out - I saw in woolies the other day they have the jalna greek in small pots, so will just get one of those to kick start again if/when that happens. I'll be interested to see how long I can keep it going for though, from my original batch.

• 4 months later...

I've asked in the past how dogs are able to eat yoghurt, given most are lactose intolerant, and I was told it's because most yoghurts are made from goat's milk? none of them specify the type of milk on the packet though. I've thought about making my own, but trying to source goat's milk would be pretty tricky! Has anyone used the low/no lactose milks at the supermarket to make yoghurt?

I can absolutely say that most commercial yoghurts aren't made on goats milk or low lactose. 180 grams of most commercial yoghurt is enough to make me very very ill and I'm a LOT larger than any dog. That said, I can sneak about 100 grams of good quality, low sugar, full fat dairy into myself before I feel ill. Jalna is one such example, chobani is another.

Basically - lactose is a sugar, which you need an enzyme to break down. Full far, low sugar dairy tends to have less lactose and therefore is more digestible for anyone (any dog?) who is lactose sensitive.