Best Bones For Keeping Teeth Healthy?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed frozen chicken frames as the standard teeth clean. Em has lamb necks on occasion. If they need a little more meat I'll give them 1/4 raw chicken (wing quarter). Sometimes I can't get frames so will freeze a handful of wings together. Turkey wings are pretty awesome if you can get them.

They would work OK for my basset but my kelpie refuses to eat any chicken, I did once get her to eat a turkey neck when she was really hungry but she wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it so I think she's a red meat girl LOL. They are currently having lamb flaps with their meal but they are still taking ages to eat them so i've started giving them their dinner next to thei beds in the evening and then they lie on their bed eating their bones so I can probably afford to change to something that will take longer if I'm sitting nearby so they aren't tempted to nark at each other(they only do it when they know I'm not looking LOL)

Ah! I feed Zig outside first and when he's done Em gets to go out and have hers. They are pretty respectful of each other but if I feed them together I will supervise. Zig can only have chicken or turkey anyway. Both dogs have really good teeth. Oh, and they are both gutses :D

My Burmese cats have been eating chicken necks every 2nd day for years - at 8 and 9 years old I'm about to have their teeth cleaned for the first time....I've now started them on daily chicken necks.

Zeus is fed frozen turkey wings and Kirah is given frozen chicken boomerang wings. I source both from Woolies and I'm actually needing more at the moment.

Both my dogs are fantastic with bones and don't require supervision. They've never squabbled and know that they get one each.

Bahaha, where the blazes does one get a pigs head?

I thought I'd never be able to find them as I don't live near any abattoirs, farms or anything but one day... I asked my local butcher and they're able to order them in for a fair price. :)

Gosh Jake would faint if I gave him a pigs head! My butcher cuts a beef cannon bone length ways and then in half. He's not big on raw meat but will chew the hard end of the bone and spend ages licking out the marrow. Otherwise lamb shanks, I cut most of the meat off and cook it for treats. I tried smaller bones but with his large back throat and front teeth that don't meet I didn't feel they were safe.

I do not feed any weight bearing bones & that now includes roo tail since my Belgian girl sustained a slab fracture chomping on a piece of tail bone.

I have fed raw for 25 years..... started off with chicken frames, necks & wings together with lamb flaps, breast bones & lamb necks. Have had to tweak my diets a bit over the years due to food intolerances & preferences of various pack members. Now I mainly quarter whole chickens & have access to a handy supply of wild rabbit. The latter is the perfect food in my opinion. I also feed turkey wings & occasionally duck wings, although they are not very meaty. Belgian girl loves salmon heads but Kelpie will not touch them. I have seen pig's heads at the markets, cheap at $5 each, but have not tried feeding them. They are really too big as I prefer to feed smaller meals twice daily.

I do not feed any bones or meat frozen - to me it is as unnatural as feeding cooked food.

All my dogs (7) have had good teeth, except for the Belgian who is the only one of my dogs to have had a dental or any teeth removed.