Kelpies

raineth

I was looking at a website from overseas that made dog breed related products and noted that while they had many many breeds, they did not have Kelpies.

So are Kelpies quite rare and unheard of overseas?

I can only speak of Northern/Central Europe, but they are not unheard of at all. Actually, they're gaining popularity. Working kelpies aren't as common though and they could be considered rare.

They're a fairly popular breed for agility among border collies.

There were quite a lot of Kelpies running agility at Crufts when I watched it online, and we have a pretty good number here in NZ. I have a friend in the USA (who is from Aussie) that has a kelpie from a cattle ranch there, she said the breed is pretty uncommon where she is.

I know that in northern north america and canada they are growing in popularity but are still quite far from common.

and Cattle dogs are very popular now in the US.

Very popular! I met quite a few whilst there and my friend has 3 of her own in Wyoming.

Sweden and Denmark have VERY big Kelpie populations, as well as the other european countries!! They have bigger entries at shows than we do :laugh:

They also have more kelpie related products than here too.

Sweden and Denmark have VERY big Kelpie populations, as well as the other european countries!! They have bigger entries at shows than we do :laugh:

They also have more kelpie related products than here too.

Yep! I actually automatically thought of Sweden when I saw the title of this thread. They've even got a pretty good online kelpie gallery.

Edited by Hockz

I actually had a lady seriously enquiring about a young kelpie i had in training. She was from Nth America but the cost of transport was a bit too much for her. When I told her there were breeders in the states and Canada she got very excited :laugh:

That's a great kelpie gallery, never really seen the bluey grey coloured ones before, really like it, do they come in a blue/tan point as well?

I believe it's possible but I've yet to see one, not even sure if the colour is recognised as the gallery claims to have pics of every recognised colour.

This is Australian kelpies though, things could be (and probably are) different with working kelpies. They often come in black & tan right?

Black and Tan and red and tan are probably the two most common colours in kelpies. I wouldn't mind a blue and tan(recognised colour doesn't matter to me) as long as the colouring isn't associated with anything deleterious. I seem the recall blue kelpies can be prone to a genetic hairloss condition.

Black and Tan and red and tan are probably the two most common colours in kelpies. I wouldn't mind a blue and tan(recognised colour doesn't matter to me) as long as the colouring isn't associated with anything deleterious. I seem the recall blue kelpies can be prone to a genetic hairloss condition.

Colour Dilution Alopecia (CDA), a condition reasonably common in dilute colours, regardless of breed.

I've probably seen more solid red and black dogs than dogs with tan points. :D

The litter I got my pup from had two blue with tan points. They weren't pure kelpie but the colour was gorgeous :)

They went from this light grey

IMG_0210_zps6b72c227.jpg

To the darker blue as they aged.

IMG_3364-1_zpsb2778bbe.jpg

pretty rare here in western Canada, average person has never heard of them, and showline is totally noneexistant however there is actually quite a few working ones on ranches, they just hardly ever make it into other hands and when they do, they have no idea they own a kelpie lol