Dog Owners Association, Orange Nsw

Teebs

There are a few Orange people here so thought I would share

Something badly needs to be done about an obedience club, I still can't believe we dont have one anymore

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/story/1656972/staying-out-of-the-doghouse/

LYN and Leo Psylliakos spent almost $7000 in a legal battle to clear the name of their boxer/Rhodesian ridgeback dog Uncle since he nipped a woman on the leg in December and now the couple wants to help other dog owners avoid a similar fate.

Orange City Council wanted to declare Uncle and his companion Ziggy the kelpie dangerous dogs because of the incident, meaning the dogs would have been surrendered and euthanised or spent the rest of their lives in a cage with a concrete floor.

Months later the dogs avoided a dangerous dog classification but both have a control order instead meaning they must be muzzled and leashed when outside their yard and can only be let out of the cage when their owners are home.

Mrs Psylliakos hopes to use her experiences to set up a dog owners’ group to help others avoid the same situation.

So far she has set-up a Facebook page to gauge interest but needs to recruit five committee members to form an association.

“People don’t know what the laws are,” she said.

“Most [owners] surrender their dogs when they go through what we did because they haven’t got the money.

“There seems to be genuine miscommunication.”

With current laws classifying everything from a dog intimidating someone through to a bite as a dog attack, Mrs Psylliakos said many incidents were a result of a dog’s natural instinct kicking in and more education was needed for everyone.

“Assuming that all dogs are okay because your dog is okay is a massive assumption,” she said.

“Dogs use their mouths like we use our hands.”

Mrs Psylliakos hopes to receive a grant from council to kick start the group and eventually wants to host agility classes to fill a gap in the market for Orange dog owners which currently can only access puppy classes.

The group could also lobby for better off leash dog parks for Orange with only one fenced area in Dalton Street currently available.

“There is something like 20,000 dogs in Orange and that’s only the ones that are registered,” she said.

“The council gets approximately 15 calls a day about dog incidents and that could just be dogs barking.

“Something needs to happen.”

Dog owners interested in joining the group can contact Lyn at [email protected].

The club folded 12(?) months ago.

I heard a lot of complaints that could have easily been fixed but they never listened to the people.

I haven't heard much about delta, but know she costs a lot of a 6(?) week block of training and her training methods don't suit a lot of people (nor does the price)

The obedience club was $3 a lesson, morning tea supplied and a small joining fee, when I first started there were 20+ people in each class, last time I went there was 15 people in total :(

There are a few people talking about starting a new club. But nothing ever happens

Sounds like a good group and there certainly needs to be some training opportunities in the area for pet owners.

Many Council Officers unfortunately don't tell the owners of dogs all their rights and options, and try and pressure people to surrender their pets for euthanasia to make their job easier. While these people exist in these roles then groups like this are needed to help ensure that dog owners are fully aware of their rights and can make an informed decision if their dog is subject to any sort of action or enforcement.

I won't get into the council bit. I know a while ago the rangers were picking everything up trying to seize it. Truth is that since I've stopped working I'm not that in touch with everything and not sure how bad it has been.

I won't get into the council bit. I know a while ago the rangers were picking everything up trying to seize it. Truth is that since I've stopped working I'm not that in touch with everything and not sure how bad it has been.

Never met the people at Orange so I have no idea if they fall into that category, but I've certainly met plenty of others that do.

That said, there are a lot of Council Officers that are reasonable and ensure that every person is treated fairly and appraised of their rights, and that number seems to be increasing.