Help Puppy Driving Me Mad

loren66

Hi I have a 7 week old American Staffy and an 7 mth old when can I let the young one be with the older one all the time the older one tries to eat him and gets very ruff with her Iam worried he will hurt her she seems to love it but not sure

:( hi.

your new puppy probably will not be safe to leave with the bigger one for a couple of months yet .

Ideally she should still be with her mother and littermates .

two young/teenage pups together is often a recipe for much mischief/noise/ trouble .....and grey hairs!!! :D

If they are both amstaffs ..they will be very strong, and will each need time alone with you , and lots of training so that they can be obedient and easy to handle.

You will need to teach the older pup about appropriate play behaviour. Stopping the play when it gets too rough is your first step.

This is not an age combination I'd have recommended but now it will be up to you to set the ground rules. I gather the younger pup is not an ANKC registered pup? Gutsy play to buy one in a BSL state. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

When I got my second boxer we restricted play time for some months as he was 12 months and she was only 8 weeks. never unsupervised play time until she was about 5 months and could pretty much hold her own with him. They are both 9 and 8yrs now and we have just bought home another 8 week old puppy, again there is no unsupervised play time and if we go out the pup is kept inside. I am lucky that I am a shift worker so have a lot of time at home during the day time hours on week days, plus one daughter has Wednesdays off and the other daughter works at the end of our street and is home at lunch time every day so it's not like they are going to spend 8hrs a day apart every day. They will have plenty of time together but it will just be monitored. My boy is petrified of the pup at the moment, he is a huge boy so it's quite funny watching him run off or whimper with his tail between the legs. Give them plenty of adjustment time before leaving them alone.