Ok.. A Pic Of A Gorgeous Girl! September 14

persephone

:(

I have been/am helping a friend find a new dog .

I am now very sad and despairing.

yes, I have been perusing the ads/sites.

Sooo many weird combinations , any old dog offered for stud duties , pups/dogs being sold as breeders touted as a certain way to make money ,and it seems way too many poor bull breeds being bred/sold/rehomed .

I had no idea this was so wide spread ...and won't be doing any more looking .

:cry:

Edited by persephone

The ones that get me are the oldies; there are too many 12 year plus dogs being sold. :( If I'd been bonded to an animal for that long, there's no way I'd have the heart to sell them.

One that currently got me was an ad selling an 18 month old dog because "I'm having my fourth child and won't have time for him". My mum had five children and we also had Poochie. It's not that hard to fit a dog into a busy schedule if you make the time to make it work. :(

Perse, would you like a hand searching for a suitable dog for your friend? What type are you looking for? Maybe someone here will know of a suitable candidate.

Yep I've stopped looking too, came across staffies the other day and it's amazing how many ads there are for blue ones, and unbelievably they want $2500 for a pet, yes they are registered though. I stopped and looked because they are really nice looking staffies but shit $2500 just because they are blue.

When it's time I've decided that I'm going to drag OH to the dog shows, which will now only be 15 minutes down the road at the most, we will talk to breeders and use word of mouth.

I saw the most gorgeous group of whippet pups at the last show so I know the breeders bring them to the shows and OH can have a look in person. I did also see a beautiful looking silky as well, don't know if he wants another little dog though, he wants something he can rough up and play with :)

River, that is the worst of all the ads, the oldies, I just couldn't do it and have never done it and I don't ever think much of others that do it.

Edited by shapeshifter

Perse, would you like a hand searching for a suitable dog for your friend? What type are you looking for? Maybe someone here will know of a suitable candidate.

:) I have a post in rescue .. a coupleof good suggestions, but still looking -

basically

mature

greyhound like temperament ..placid and happy to sleep inside while owner is at uni ....

preferably something with some coat , and not brachy .

good with little kids/dogs ( friend sometimes dog sits for her friends )

FEMALE unless an outstanding male match ;)

must love snuggles & sleeping in a doublebed and/or couch ..and not be too energetic .

must also enjoy beach and country walks .

no fence jumping .. ADELAIDE inner suburbs .. normal fences on 2 sides ..buildings on other two :) Quite a lot of heavy traffic noise during day - dead quiet at night .

(sounds very picky :o) but no use chasing up prospectives & find they don't suit .

Greys/bullbreeds/terriers need not apply ,sorry .

friend lives alone .. uni/work from home . mature age person with lots of kid and dog friends, Raised last dog from puppy to 14 years .

The right dog will be absolutely appreciated and loved a lot...have a yard just big enough to play fetch in ... and an old house with beanbags/beds etc ..a fire in winter, and a cool vine covered pergola thing in Summer . :)

Oh, and have me as 'Auntie' ;)

Edited by persephone

But your description would fit the greyhounds next door. And they're racing greyhounds! They live the same everyday life as pet greyhounds with an owner who dotes on them. Apart from when they race or when they go off for some track training... they're big calm, quiet, affectionate couch potatoes.

Edited by mita

CKCS?

Dane? Not coated though.

I would suggest an Aussie too as long as it would be well exercised. Mine can be a total lazy bum but when she wants exercise she lets us know! :laugh:

Ummm.. A larger breed like a Bernese or a St Bernard?

LOL No biggies! Wouldn't fit in the car, for one thing ! . She was hoping to give a home to a rescue ,or some older dog no longer needed /wanted ...

and she is very worried about syringiomyelia with the CKCS :(

Edited by persephone

Friend of mine has a German Pinscher needing a home. (Check DOL for mature dogs listed) In fact I think she has a male and female. One might be suitable. They pretty much fit your list. Short coated but don't need jumpers. (at least I don't on mine and they are fine.....)but perhaps I'm just a mean mum!

Keep asking around in rescue..a grey would be perfect.

Is it just greys they don't want or all sighthounds? There are quite a few grey crosses and whippet crosses in rescue. Saluki may also suit, I'm unsure about Borzoi, anyway there are plenty of staghound types out there needing rescue. As pups they are boisterous but settle into grey-like couch potatoes at about 4 or 5 years.

Trawl through PetRescue, pers, at least that shouldn't be too depressing.smile.gif