What 'stuff' Will I Need To Get Ready For Showing?

Just wondering whether anyone can either point me in the direction if a list already exists or give me an idea of what things I'll need to buy to get myself set up to show next year. I'd like to buy a few things gradually so that by the time our girl gets here I have most of what i need and it won't be too big a financial outlay at once.

I have a large soft crate, is that adequate? She's been shown before so is most likely crate trained already, but I just wanted to check if this is consider secure enough at the shows or whether i need to get a wire one?

My son may also be doing some junior handler so I guess we'll both need suitable clothes of some sort, a big leap for me who lives in jeans and t-shirt so i really have no idea there, I'd prefer to wear pants though if possible as i am quite tall and I find it hard to find skirts that are a freasonable length.

Chances are I'll be attending shows, atleast to start with, with the breeder so hopefully won't need my own shelter, etc yet but i do have a pop up gazebo thingo if needed.

Anything else I should be investing in?

She's a basset hound so no long fluffy fur to worry about, most grooming will be done at home before the show and it will just be a bit of a tidy up while there so I'm hoping I don't need to worry about tables or any of that if I'm happy to sit on the ground and do her tidy up?

If your sitting with a friend who has shelter then a simple list would be

Chair

crate

water bowl

mat /tarp for under the crate

basic show bag 'lead show/walking,number holder,squeaky(if trained to one) slobber cloth,white chalk.You could add plenty more but if starting on a budget the above will do.

bait

esky with basics unless you wish to buy.

Clothes yo can go simple or extreme,start simple not white as it blends into the dog (presume its the bassett).

You can wear nice pants & top .Your son i would suggest let him give it a go first but again dress neat & tidy & then you can buy a nice pair of slacks & shirt .

Op shops can be great if budget shopping especially for growing kids & even the adults .

I would suggest attending as many shows as possible if you can video the breed in question & watch & learn & then video yourself if practising.

If again its a basset some use the basset table for judging

She's a tricolour basset with quite a lot of black over her saddle as far as I know, I've only seen one small pic of her so far and then just the descriptions from the breeder. I've driven myself nutty trying to find a pic of her online as I was hoping there might be something from a show but couldn't find anything, she's only been shown in neuter as she got pyometra and had to be desexed before the breeder got a chance to even get a single litter from her so her show results probably aren't as well publicised I guess although I understand she's done alright.

We still have to go through the long process of introducing her to our current dogs and making sure they will even be happy to live together and then waiting until the breeder is ready for her to go so she won't be with us until probably after christmas I would guess.

As I am out in the boonies and would need to get anything I want ordered in through work can anyone suggest good brands for things like chalk?

I am going to use my two current girls for the time being (probably the kelpie as she's probably more likely to just do a nice slow trot without tripping me over LOL )and just practice moving around as I have bad shoulders and I tend to move a bit stiffly sometimes so I think I will need to train myself a bit to look like I'm not tense.

Chalk - ask the breeder what they use. You may or may not need it. Take tips from them on grooming at first. You can tweak more later once you see what works for you.

For clothes, this may give you an idea of colour that works and may have a few other tips too: http://www.delsharla...s.com/page5.asp

Places like Millers are often a good source of clothes for shows. Neat and tidy is the main thing.

Shoes need to be ones you can move in and comfortable/reasonably non slip. Places like Payless Shoes actually have a good range.

You really don't need much when starting out though. The list Showdog gave is it really. Folding chair, crate, water bowl, mat for crate, container of water (a tend to take my own if water is different source at the show), a tarp for under the crate, show collar and lead (ask the breeder what is being used on the dog perhaps), towels/hand towels for cleanups/slobber/accidents, treat pouch if you are using 'bait' and don't have a pocket, number holder and something for shade (which if you are sharing space in a gazebo in the beginning you won't need).

When it comes to the crate, My preference is for wire as I tend to find the softcrates get a little too warm for the dogs. I also prefer their security. Places like Vebopet have wire collapsible crates for a reasonable price.

If you think it would be easier for you (you have bad shoulders?) also look at a small fold up trolley for the crate (supacheap auto and the like) so you dont have to carry it

If you are on FB, there is also a Group called 'Australian Dog Show Newbies' that you may find helpful: http://www.facebook.com/groups/OzShowNewbies/

Edited by espinay2

Yay a new hound exhibitor!!! :thumbsup: There's a pinned thread on here I think as well.

If you're venturing uphill to the inland shows around Canberra make sure you come say hello if you see borzoi people. Hound people in our southern half of the state tend to be a pretty friendly bunch.

I wear slacks and a shirt - add a jacket in cold weather. Op shops are great for jackets. With a Tri colour you might want to steer clear of black pants as her back/topline will get lost against your legs. Grey is a handy colour and doesn't show up hair, dirt, chalk etc too much. :D

Yeah I would think a wire crate for a Basset as they are so strong. If they can be naughty like a Fauve and a bit chewy I also wouldn't use one. My first Fauve destroyed a soft crate in less than 24 hours so I"ve never bothered since :laugh:

Thanks guys, I'll ask her about the crate, the soft one is more than sufficient for my current girls as they are very well crate trained and just lie down and go to sleep(in fact I could just put one of those little fences around them and they'd assume it was inpenetrable LOL), not sure what this girl is like in that regard. I can order a wire one through work at 20% off retail so can probably get it cheaper that way and I have a little fold up ikea moving trolley which I was going to get rid of but thanks espinay I might hold on to it for now until I determine whether I'll need to upgrade to wire.

I may well end up over that way Alyosha as it's actually quicker for me to get to Canberra than Sydney. :) Thanks for the tip on the pants, I hadn't consider the black blending in so I'll keep that in mind.