Pomeranian Having Trouble Breathing

yellowgirl

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God, that is heartbreaking to watch. You are an angel YG for taking on little sick neglected dogs like this. I couldn't do it. I also cannot help but wonder about the financial cost to you as well as the enormous emotional drain, emergency vets in the middle of the night :( it must be very hard for you.

I hope the little boy is comfortable now and will recover to see happier days ahead.

Can you try to make him sleep on his side with his head/neck extended a little for best airflow conditions? It's almost like he has apnoea in that first video...

His remaining teeth could be causing his nasal issues - if they are abcessed, that will cause what looks like mucous, but is actually pus.

Poor little mite... I don't think I'd have the fortitude to watch him being like that and trying to treat it. You are an angel YG.

T.

I don't have any advice, I'm sorry really sad for this little guy, he's obviously a fighter and I hope your Vet finds a solution.

Me too. I didn't watch the videos :cry: .

Bless you, yellowgirl. Your courage, care and compassion are truly exemplary. Wish there were more like you. :love: :love:

Get better, little Pom. You are in truly loving hands now.

Did they test for Aspergillus? If advanced enough can cause seizures :(

I was thinking that myself but you need to do a bronchial lavage and as it's highly risky you'd probably want him a little more stable.

Is it worth asking them to run an ECG while he's there?

Oh God, that is heartbreaking to watch. You are an angel YG for taking on little sick neglected dogs like this. I couldn't do it. I also cannot help but wonder about the financial cost to you as well as the enormous emotional drain, emergency vets in the middle of the night :( it must be very hard for you.

I hope the little boy is comfortable now and will recover to see happier days ahead.

This is always the hardest and most expensive part of the process Kirislin.. but these little ones are so worth it :heart: I always have a little bit of $$ set aside for emergencies but I think a fundraiser might be in order in the very near future. Would you believe that the emergency vet didn't even charge me this time?? The receptionist was only doing her job by saying that Chester should come in if he's having breathing difficulties but the vet felt bad that they couldn't do any more for him than last time. I was still very glad that I took him in, the vet did put my mind at ease that I was doing everything possible for him until we can see our own vet tomorrow. I've given her some beautiful karma :) xx

Can you try to make him sleep on his side with his head/neck extended a little for best airflow conditions? It's almost like he has apnoea in that first video...

His remaining teeth could be causing his nasal issues - if they are abcessed, that will cause what looks like mucous, but is actually pus.

Poor little mite... I don't think I'd have the fortitude to watch him being like that and trying to treat it. You are an angel YG.

T.

He won't sleep on his side by himself tdierikx, only if he's on my lap. He seems most comfortable when I hold him upright. The emergency vet mentioned apnoea but it's not true apnoea, it's because he's not getting enough oxygen and he's so tired.

He only has two teeth but our vet was able to get a better look at them when he had his blood tests and they're not infected. They do need a clean as they have some tartar buildup but there's no gum disease and they can wait until he's under for desexing.

Yep, it is like torture watching him and not being able to do anything except make sure he's awake enough to get enough breath. I think he's a pretty tough little bloke though and if it's something we're able to fix and manage, he'll be okay. xx

I'm not sure schnauzer, is it a separate test? I have the results of his nasal swab here, I'll post them in a minute. xx

I don't have any advice, I'm sorry really sad for this little guy, he's obviously a fighter and I hope your Vet finds a solution.

Thanks sas, he is a little fighter. Based on the condition he was in when he came in, he's been neglected for a very long time, but his plucky little spirit is still there and I want him to have every chance possible of recovery.

Thank you for the Separation Anxiety info you sent a little while ago too, sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you earlier. xx

Me too. I didn't watch the videos :cry: .

Bless you, yellowgirl. Your courage, care and compassion are truly exemplary. Wish there were more like you. :love: :love:

Get better, little Pom. You are in truly loving hands now.

Thank you Danny's Darling. If there's a chance of him getting better we'll find it. These frail little ones get my heart every time and I'm so glad that Chester is here and finally has someone to care about him. xx

Poor little chap, thank goodness he's with you and getting the best care a sick little dog could hope for. I hope the vets can fix his problem as he's obviously suffered for a long time. Hope that the rest of his life can be spent in better health. :)

Thank you dogmad, I know you understand what I do and why and I appreciate your support. xx

The poor baby - such a struggle :( I would be tempted to get another vet opinion. I presume his trachea has been checked?

Prayers are with him and hopes for some improvement. :pray:

Thank you for the prayers Rosetta, I'll take whatever I can get at the moment. The emergency vet didn't think it was tracheal related, especially after watching him drink on the video. I've had a couple of bubs with collapsing tracheas and their symptoms are different to Chester's. Will definitely get the vet to check properly tomorrow though. xx

I was thinking that myself but you need to do a bronchial lavage and as it's highly risky you'd probably want him a little more stable.

Is it worth asking them to run an ECG while he's there?

Gawd, that sounds pretty intense SnT. I have Aspergillus on my list now so I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow.

I'll ask the vet to run any and every test that Chester might need if it will help him. xx

Here's the results of Chester's nasal swab...

julychesternasalswab.jpg

And his blood panel results...

julychesterbloodtest1.jpg julychesterbloodtest2.jpg

I hope you can see the details properly. Happy to re-write anything that needs clarification. xx

eta. there should be a little magnifying glass at the bottom that will enlarge the pics.

Edited by yellowgirl

Is it possible to make a little oxygen tent for him to sleep / rest in??

This is what my vet did for one of my oldies when he was having respiratory issues. He used a small crate, and wrapped the whole thing up in cling film, with a tube wrapped in on one side for the exiting air, and the oxygen bottle tube in the other side. Then he set up the bottles to deliver whatever pressure and % oxy he had decided was needed (don't know the details of that, sorry). He also had a thermometer in there so the air temp could be monitored. It gave my wee boy so much rest and relief that he pulled through.

Improvised by a country vet, 'cos we don't have emergency vets out here, but it did the job, and it wasn't terribly expensive, either.

This is what my vet did for one of my oldies when he was having respiratory issues. He used a small crate, and wrapped the whole thing up in cling film, with a tube wrapped in on one side for the exiting air, and the oxygen bottle tube in the other side. Then he set up the bottles to deliver whatever pressure and % oxy he had decided was needed (don't know the details of that, sorry). He also had a thermometer in there so the air temp could be monitored. It gave my wee boy so much rest and relief that he pulled through.

Improvised by a country vet, 'cos we don't have emergency vets out here, but it did the job, and it wasn't terribly expensive, either.

I'll ask our vet tomorrow Gallomph. As you say, correct pressures, etc would need to be considered. I'm glad it worked for your little one and he pulled though :)

Chester is currently in a covered crate with the front open for the steam to come through as well as air flow. xx

Sometimes it just takes one little thing to make you smile to get you through the rest of the day ... here's Chester in his own cosy little ICU area... and Madeline, Sarge, Pepper, Jordie, Dreamy, Jimmy and Daisy stuffed into one dog bed :)

Our other dear little old Pom boy, Raffi, seems to be the only one who's worked out that there are heat pads in the dog beds in the lounge room - and he's the one with dementia :)

july2013030.jpg

I'll ask our vet tomorrow Gallomph. As you say, correct pressures, etc would need to be considered. I'm glad it worked for your little one and he pulled though :)

Chester is currently in a covered crate with the front open for the steam to come through as well as air flow. xx

Not suggesting it.... but just out of interest ... Pets America sell pet oxygen masks. I notice on their list, someone from Victoria bought one. Interesting video of 2 fire emergency officers demonstrating how to use one. With a big cooperative dog!

http://www.petsamerica.org/programs.html

Here's hoping that Chester can get a clear diagnosis.

I have no advice but I hope you can find a diagnosis soon.

Thank you Cody. xx

Not suggesting it.... but just out of interest ... Pets America sell pet oxygen masks. I notice on their list, someone from Victoria bought one. Interesting video of 2 fire emergency officers demonstrating how to use one. With a big cooperative dog!

http://www.petsamerica.org/programs.html

Here's hoping that Chester can get a clear diagnosis.

I would get one in a second if I thought Chester would be the slightest bit cooperative, mita. He would fight to the death if anything was put over his face poor little love. xx