Dry Food / Kibble

FANG

1374555426[/url]' post='6261096']

:laugh: westiemum - hmmm except when you decide to feed a meal of sardines (or tuna) then its just the same as opening a can :rofl:. Always a good standby for when I am being lazy.

Very funny ness! Good to see you in good cheer still. thumbsup1.gifAs to cans the obvious difference is I'd have no compulsion about eating the sardines or mackerel myself - and they are 'served' with veg to make 'Westie fish casserole'! As to eating he dog food cans sick2.gif I'd no more expect them to eat it either! I shudder to think what's in that stuff.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm the funniest story was when Ness was much younger and Dad had stopped at the supermarket to pick her up some chicken drumsticks. The women behind him in the queue apparently asked what he intended on doing with them presuming he was intending on cooking them for humans to eat. I think she was a little taken a back when he said he wasn't doing anything with them as they were to be consumed raw by the dog :D.

I agree my girls only get human quality produce and possibly eat better then me on most occasions as I am a little lazy on the cooking front :laugh:.

Hmmm the funniest story was when Ness was much younger and Dad had stopped at the supermarket to pick her up some chicken drumsticks. The women behind him in the queue apparently asked what he intended on doing with them presuming he was intending on cooking them for humans to eat. I think she was a little taken a back when he said he wasn't doing anything with them as they were to be consumed raw by the dog :D.

I agree my girls only get human quality produce and possibly eat better then me on most occasions as I am a little lazy on the cooking front :laugh:.

I always get really weird looks when I rock up to the chicken shops and ask for 30 chicken frames :laugh:

It's usually "how many, 3?" "No, 30 - three zero" followed by this look that makes me think they think I'm going to sit down and eat them myself or something. I go to the same place nearly every month, she's never asked me what I use them for. But I wonder what other people use them for, if not for dogs :rofl:

Sunflower oil is high in Omega 6. Omega 6 isn't bad and doesn't cause cancer BUT you do need to ensure that you have the right ratio of Omega 3 too (flaxseed & fish oils are high in omega 3). The ratio of omega 3:6 is different for dogs and humans I believe.

The issue with Omega 6 is that it is cheap and so is used a lot dand people/dogs on't have the right balance. Incidentlally, it has recently been shown that Omega 3 sourced from fish oil (which David Gillespie promotes) actually increases the risk of prostate cancer in men.

With all things diet, it is about balance. If you eat high levels of omega 6 with low levels of omega 3 then chances are you will get inflammation problems.

No need to toss the baby out with the bath water.

:rofl: minimax - the place I get my chicken frames gives you a discount if you purchase 3 at a time. Bit hard when my kids get full frames each and so I asked one day if I could get 4 for the same discount rate and the guy tried to charge me the non-discounted rate. Yes I could get more at a time but then I kept forgetting to get them out of the freezer :laugh:.

Yep I get giggles when I buy stuff from 'behind-the-counter' at the Chemist and they ask 'Have I used It before' and I say 'Yes it works very well on her paws' ! Only once has a smarty asked if I've discussed it with the vet!

I also get funny looks buying bulk frozen veg - usually I just say 'dog food - it's cheaper' - and they look in wonder! laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

I always get really weird looks when I rock up to the chicken shops and ask for 30 chicken frames :laugh:

It's usually "how many, 3?" "No, 30 - three zero" followed by this look that makes me think they think I'm going to sit down and eat them myself or something. I go to the same place nearly every month, she's never asked me what I use them for. But I wonder what other people use them for, if not for dogs :rofl:

I think people use them for making chicken stock (same with necks/heads and feet). Personally, if I wanted chicken stock, I'd buy it in the nice little cubes but I guess some people care enough about their chicken juice to want to spend hours boiling up random chicken parts :vomit:

some people care enough about their chicken juice to want to spend hours boiling up random chicken parts

we do .

If it was for the dogs, I'm sure I could find the time. For myself though.. meeeeeh, stock cubes.

Having said that, if feet are involved, hell no. Everything about chicken feet makes me want to vomit up everything I've ever eaten plus some future food.

some people care enough about their chicken juice to want to spend hours boiling up random chicken parts

we do .

If it was for the dogs, I'm sure I could find the time. For myself though.. meeeeeh, stock cubes.

Having said that, if feet are involved, hell no. Everything about chicken feet makes me want to vomit up everything I've ever eaten plus some future food.

Oh you'd love when I feed them to Max, she runs around for a while with the foot in her mouth then swallows it whole and for the next half hour brings it back up and swallows it over and over until it's just right :rofl:

we do .

Oh you'd love when I feed them to Max, she runs around for a while with the foot in her mouth then swallows it whole and for the next half hour brings it back up and swallows it over and over until it's just right :rofl:

D:

And then.. :vomit:

I feed BARF however there are Kibbles I would be happy to use if I went down that Route and that would be:

Stay Loyal - fairly new Australian kibble

http://www.stayloyal.com.au/

Taste of the Wild

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/p/88/shop-by-brand/taste-of-the-wild/

Never heard of Stay loyal, looks good from the ingredients.

TOTW is the preferred kibble for many Husky owners who can't or don't wish to feed Raw. It seems like a very good kibble and works out about the same price as Hills, Euk and RC, taking into account that you feed less of TOTW due to its higher content of quality proteins and less fillers.

If I could afford it or had a small dog that I wished to feed a commercial food to, I would go for the NZ made Ziwi Peak, not really a kibble though, it is more of a beef jerky like consistency. You don't add water to regenerate Ziwi Peak. You feed a much lower volume of this food so you can't compare bag weights when doing your budgets.

we do .

When my dogs had kennel cough years ago, I made them fresh stock to drink warm (I figured it would help lubricate their throats and Lucy was quite snotty). I actually roasted the bones beforehand so that the stock was golden and sticky :o .

I looked at it longingly, but it was for the dogs...

I feed BARF however there are Kibbles I would be happy to use if I went down that Route and that would be:

Stay Loyal - fairly new Australian kibble

http://www.stayloyal.com.au/

Taste of the Wild

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/p/88/shop-by-brand/taste-of-the-wild/

Instead of Stay Loyal, why wouldn't you feed Black Hawk Fish & Potato (sweet), it has better ingredients, is a hell of a lot cheaper & is 100% Australian.

I try to feed mostly barf but also use kibble (mostly for training and in boredom buster toys); I like Holistic Select and Taste of the Wild.

However I'd like to use something Australian made, so have been resorting to Advance or Nutro lately.

I'd be interested in giving Stay Loyal a go (I must confess to never having heard of it before). Why do you think BH ingredients are better Sheena? I had a quick glance at both and they seem fairly similar, the only main difference (that I noticed) being Emu Oil in BH (and can't seem to find any info on its nutritional benefits).