Eating And Drinking After Laryngeal Tie Back Surgery

westiemum

As some of you might be aware, Mac my almost 14 year old Westie had successful emergency tie back surgery for laryngeal paralysis last Sunday night. He's been home since Tuesday night and is doing really well. He's back on his raw meat formula but with mashed sweet potato instead of mixed veg at the moment. He isn't coughing or spluttering during or after meals and appears bright and well. He snores while he seeps a little more sniffly but that seems to be the only change.

But he now has an essentially unprotected airway, which is a worry to a former Speechie.embarrass.gif I've elevated his food bowl and he appears to be managing it very well. But I haven't elevated his water bowl yet as I could only get one elevated bowl on Tuesday night.. I did this as I read it was the right thing to do, but the more I read the more it seems some say to elevate and some say don't.

I suppose the questions I'm asking are what do people think of elevating bowls in small dogs with unprotected airways and does anyone know about positioning the dog while eating and drinking to provide some manual airway protection while eating and drinking, like we do with human laryngeal/swallowing patients?

Is there anything else I should be considering eg food texture to reduce his risk of aspiration? (Apart from avoiding 'dusty' dry food)?

Would be really grateful for any advice (as I don't want to assume how we treat humans is automatically how we manage dogs)!

TIA. smile.gif

Thanks all. Anne the yoghurt is a good idea - its the right texture and consistency. Thanks will give it a go.

The vet didn't say anything, except to never put anything around his neck again and to buy him a harness (which I'm doing) smile.gif And thats not being critical - it genuinely seems to me that canine rehab hasn't kept up with advances in veterinary surgical and medical management.

But the small but real risk of aspirate pneumonia in these dogs is all over the net and could kill an old boy like Mac. (he's so damn stoic as I found out over the weekend its easy to miss things with him). So I really want to try and minimise the risk.

With Perse's help thumbsup1.gif I have started looking at some videofluroscopy in dogs on You Tube (didn't think of that until Perse suggested it embarrass.gif). While its not completely infallible given I was trained to watch these things in humans not dogs, there are some similarities. When I find a really good one I'll post it so you can see what I mean. But on what I've seen so far in dogs I'm leaning towards elevated bowls making the most sense at this stage - but 'to be confirmed'! ...

Edited by westiemum

If it is the same sort of risk as dogs with megaesophagus, they are usually fed in a bailey chair and the food needs to be very moist as they do not give them water.

Thanks dandc - its similar but not the same as as far as I know his swallowing and esophageal motility (movement) is normal. Its the airway protection thats compromised. So if something 'goes down the wrong way' its more likely to go straight into the lungs. Yes I looked at videos of Bailey Chairs - really clever and good management.