Ducks Being Killed...

A friend of mine who lives in a suburban area has found some of the local ducks dead and decapitated. Two black swans are also missing.

I told her to call the RSPCA, but she was told nothing they could do as wild animals?! Is there anyone she can report this to? Police arent interested either :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swans do fly ..maybe they were disturbed and have moved on to escape .

dogs/foxes/cats/humans will kill ducks ..if they are native wildlife on a creek or something , there's not much can be done if the authorities are no interested.

Is your friend in Q'ld? If so there's a law which would apply.... with penalties. I'm assuming they're native ducks???

Hunting or killing birds

In Queensland, all native animals including reptiles, amphibians, mammals, marsupials and birds are protected. They cannot be harmed or injured in any way, including trapping them, or stealing their eggs or disturbing their nests. Refer to the Queensland legislation, Nature Conservation Act 1992 (PDF, 913 KB).

Or is your friend in WA? Maybe there's a similar law under a particular Gov Dpt?

Your friend could also tip off the media.

Edited by mita

People have been prosecuted in Qld for injuring/killing wildlife. I am sure other States would have similar laws. Perhaps she could contact the Dept of Environment in her State. I find it unbelievable the RSPCA were not willing to investigate and were not even interested. :confused:

People have been prosecuted in Qld for injuring/killing wildlife. I am sure other States would have similar laws. Perhaps she could contact the Dept of Environment in her State. I find it unbelievable the RSPCA were not willing to investigate and were not even interested. :confused:

Probably because there is no proof of human involvement?

Pers - the heads were cleanly cut off and the bodies put somewhere an animal couldn't (don't want to put too much detail in case it causes upset)

I know the swans may have fled but isn't that sad in itself - wildlife being scared away from their habitat?

Thanks Mita, I'll have a look and see what I can find out.

It's horrible, the pond is next to a play area and this has upset a lot of the locals as it's usually a lovely area.

It's horrible, the pond is next to a play area and this has upset a lot of the locals as it's usually a lovely area.

Legislation in WA.... if they're native ducks. Find the government dpt which oversees this legislation. Always helps to quote it. Also locals might consider going to the media.

Western Australia

The Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 provides for the conservation and protection of wildlife. The use, protection and management of certain public lands, waters, flora and fauna is dealt with by the Conservation and Land Management Act 1984.

I don't know what the legislation actually says in WA, but maybe, RSPCA isn't referred to as having responsibilities for wildlife. In Q'ld law it is.

Edited by mita

Pers - the heads were cleanly cut off and the bodies put somewhere an animal couldn't (don't want to put too much detail in case it causes upset)

I know the swans may have fled but isn't that sad in itself - wildlife being scared away from their habitat?

Well....that seems pretty indicative of human involvement!

All natives are protected unless a permit to cull is issued AFAIK.

Swan deaths happened near here in a large park with reclaimed natural areas, specifically so the wildlife would return. However there were witnesses to a man encouraging his dogs to attack. :mad If the council rangers and police aren't interested (which just sounds lazy IMHO) you're going to have to take it to the Parks & Wildlife dept, and local media to get community momentum.

I told her to call the RSPCA, but she was told nothing they could do as wild animals?!

Not true - when we reported someone on suspicion of shooting Corellas out of a tree, they RSPCA were out to see him first thing the next morning, and the police as well as he was discharging a firearm in a public place :mad

Hope someone at least investigates this for your friend :(

Are they sure? I'm not meaning any disrespect at all. But wild birds are not that easy to get close to - and unless they have been shot or brought down somehow first it would be hard for anyone to decapitate them.

I have attended sites where people have been convinced that wild waterfowl have been killed by person/s cutting their heads off, and have confirmed each time that it was predation.

Are they sure? I'm not meaning any disrespect at all. But wild birds are not that easy to get close to - and unless they have been shot or brought down somehow first it would be hard for anyone to decapitate them.

I have attended sites where people have been convinced that wild waterfowl have been killed by person/s cutting their heads off, and have confirmed each time that it was predation.

Would an animal only remove the head though, and not consume or attempt to consume some of the body?

Another thought would be an animal removing the head/killing it and someone coming along and finding the body, and moving it off the path, or moving it somewhere more discreet.

I've asked this, no way could someone catch that many otherwise.

Will post an update when I get one.