Harness Recommendations Please?

westiemum

Hi Everyone,

As some of you might know Mac, my almost 14 year old westie, had emergency surgery for bilateral laryngeal paralysis on Sunday night. Thanks to the brilliant care he got at Anzac Highway he's recovered well and is coming home tonight happydance2.gif.

But he can never ever again have absolutely anything around his neck.

So he will need a suitable harness.

Please could I have recommendations as I know very little about them. He's a old Westie so something that won't rub would be good - and of course one that goes nowhere near his neck.

Given I suspect I'll be maxing out the credit card when I collect him tonightstroke.gif something reasonably priced but good value for money would be good. ( I plan to switch the other two westies over to harnesses as well but that might have to wait depending on cost. A very expensive lesson learnt here this week).

Thanks for your help.

Edited by westiemum

The sensible harness is another great option. It's a front attach so doesn't go anywhere near the neck. I got mine from CleanRun when it was free shipping.

Sending healing vibes to poor little Mac

An Ezydog Quickfit harness. I've recommended these to a lot of dog owners at my work whose dogs are having injury rehabilitation/are sensitive in the neck area. :) Always get rave reviews. I have one for three of our dogs myself, as our Min Pins tend to cough and carry on if they are wearing leads/collars. Fantastic harnesses. :thumbsup:

post-34983-0-04270200-1372146798_thumb.jpg

Edited by halfthewords

Hi Everyone,

As some of you might know Mac, my almost 14 year old westie, had emergency surgery for bilateral laryngeal paralysis on Sunday night. Thanks to the brilliant care he got at Anzac Highway he's recovered well and is coming home tonight happydance2.gif.

But he can never ever again have absolutely anything around his neck.

So he will need a suitable harness.

Please could I have recommendations as I know very little about them. He's a old Westie so something that won't rub would be good - and of course one that goes nowhere near his neck.

Given I suspect I'll be maxing out the credit card when I collect him tonightstroke.gif something reasonably priced but good value for money would be good. ( I plan to switch the other two westies over to harnesses as well but that might have to wait depending on cost. A very expensive lesson learnt here this week).

Thanks for your help.

I have made a harness for two dogs that have had this op, they are $15 pm me if you are interested.

Thanks so much everyone. You've made the choice really tough. I'll sit down after I've fed the hungry hordes and have a really good look. Really like the look of the ones with plenty of padding and wide strap areas which distribute the pressure on an old body.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that their collars produced Mac's injury. We genuinely will never know the cause. But given I'm a number of thousand dollars poorer tonight I think a little bit of prevention goes a long way - and now I look at it closely I think harnesses will be much more comfortable for all of them. smile.gif

Thanks so much for all your suggestions - they all seem to have their advantages. thumbsup1.gif

I think harnesses will be much more comfortable for all of them. smile.gif

and all different colours .... :)

SO glad he's back home :)

Thanks Perse - he's got a belly full of good dinner and is snoozing next to me. Its soooo good to have my beautiful old man home.

Yes choosing colours for the three of them will be fun!!! What do you suggest??biggrin.gif

I think harnesses will be much more comfortable for all of them. smile.gif

and all different colours .... :)

SO glad he's back home :)

Thanks Perse - he's got a belly full of good dinner and is snoozing next to me. Its soooo good to have my beautiful old man home.

Yes choosing colours for the three of them will be fun!!! What do you suggest??biggrin.gif

Red, Purple and dark blue?