Long Term Foster Housing In Perth, Wa

Kramerica

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to put this, so apologies if it's not.

I have a Kelpie x, she has been kenneled for the last 2~ months or so whilst we are building, and the price is adding up, and she really needs to be in a loving household as she is getting a bit down (as anyone would). I go to visit her and take her out several times a week, but still.

So I was wondering, does anyone know of long-term foster housing for dogs in Perth? Just so she can have some more one-on-one time, and maybe be with a family or something like that. Hopefully the house is ready by March-April next year, so it would be 9-10 months max I'd think. I did a google search but couldn't really find anything, but I did find this forum, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's not at the desperate stage quite yet but it's getting there. She's a really good, kind, loving, loyal dog, so if you know of any places/people that would be great.

I cant make any promises but I can ask my Dad if he might be interested.Is she very active? Dad doesnt have a big place but does like to walk.

Dad talks about getting another dog after our family dog died about 4 years ago and he used to walked out dog but I dont know what his thoughts are now.

Maybe try a uni? I am sure certain Uni students would be responsible enough and would love the company without the expense.

Good luck!

That's a good idea, I might try that. Cheers

I cant make any promises but I can ask my Dad if he might be interested.Is she very active? Dad doesnt have a big place but does like to walk.

Dad talks about getting another dog after our family dog died about 4 years ago and he used to walked out dog but I dont know what his thoughts are now.

Yeah she is quite active, obviously loves her walks/runs. Size of the house doesn't really matter, we had a relatively small place and she was fine. Same as yard size, she is an inside dog so the yard doesn't really matter either. She just loves attention.

Let me know. Cheers

It's a big call to ask someone not to fall I love with the dog and give it back after 9-10 months....not entirely sure it's very fair to the dog either? Either way I hope you find a solution. You wouldn't be looking for a 'foster' - they are for rescue dogs. Perhaps look at the petsitting companies where you pay boarding but the dog lives in someones homes - that way it's a professional arrangement not an emotional one that can go bad.

I agree with SAS this isn't foster care .

What you need to still make clear to any people taking the dog on is what you want out of it.

I presume you would still want to visit or take the dog out which can make it hard for the person looking after the dog as they have to resettle deal with it.

You would still want a contract as to who is liable for what costs ,expectations & also be prepared for if it not working out looking for another place /home in which case you don't want to dog shoved form house to house.

Do you not have any family members that can help ??

I set up a care arrangement for someone who was renovating for 6 months and dog had to move.

6 months turned into 12 and then into 18 months - dog wasn't really wanted by the husband. Dog had been wife's dog so she paid the agreed amount into my colleague's bank account until the dog passed away. The agreement was that they provided all flea/heartworm/worm treatments, took the dog to the vet when it was sick or needed vaccinating, paid all kennel fees when the carer went away and so on. On top of that there was a carer's fee, can't remember what it was - maybe $70 a week perhaps which would be the minimum.

I just tried to help a pair of dogs whose owners wanted them to find "foster care" and then to get them back in 9 months' time.

They chose a lease that didn't allow dogs. I wasted my time trying to find temp care - for a cost - and having finally found someone that would take both dogs for 9 months, the owners decided they couldn't afford even a rock bottom charge.

It's also not that fair on any dog, especially if the owner keeps visiting and disrupting it.

12 months in a kennel isn't good either but it's not right to call it foster care - every dog in foster care is at the expense of a pound dog's life.

I looked after a dog for someone for 12 months. All vet costs were taken care of and I was paid something each week for her food and upkeep. It hurt giving her back after 12 months, but as a family we knew it was coming. It worked.

Well foster care was the wrong word, but I didn't know what else to use as I hadn't been in this situation. I wasn't aware foster was for rescue dogs, apologies.

We actually got her from the pound when she was a puppy. I know it's not ideal for her but I don't know what other options we have? Obviously there is the option of giving her away forever, but I don't think I could do that after 4 1/2 years. A year in a kennel is just to much, I mean even 2 months is a long time for her.

Obviously there would be financial retribution of some sort, whatever was fair. The main issue is getting her out of a kennel.

I was more just throwing it out there to see if this was a common occurrence, or what normal practice was, or if there were people/organisations that adopt dogs into their homes temporarily.

I appreciate the responses so far, thanks to all.

Edited by Kramerica