Travelling Overseas With Pets

bridgie_cat

Hey guys,

Would love some words of advice or shared experience people have of moving with their dogs from Aus to the US for a few years (or any temporary stay)

I am looking at a course that would take me to the US for 3 years, which I would be very tempted to bring my 2 dogs (bigish shelties) over for (because that is way too long to leave them) but I am worried about

a) cost,

b) the stress of flights that long on them (do they get toilet breaks at stopovers? how does that work?)

c) the stress of leaving them alone in quarantine for a month on the way back in.

I would be very grateful for any advice people could offer!

Bridget

Your best bet is to call a few transport agencies as different ones do different things and it's individual. I'm pretty sure most have stop overs though. I actually just had a flight quote for a kelpie from Sydney to Denver and it was $2600 (cheapest) to $3500 (most expensive).

ETA: To fix destination

Edited by mixeduppup

3 years is a big part of a dogs life.

exactly my thoughts.

actually i think whether i could logistically take them with me would decide if i would go for the placement at this stage or maybe wait a few years and look at it again then...

The dogs usually cope well with the travel and quarantine if they have easy going temperaments. The cost is the biggest factor for most people to consider. Some friends with a pet bitch I bred, took her to Newfoundland in Canada for a year when she was 7 years old. The dog coped fine and they took the opportunity to do some travelling while she was in quarantine, only returning to Aust just before she was released.

If you can afford it they should cope fine, better & less stress than being left behind.

I would be more concerned about finding accommodation with 2 dogs than the coping part.

Have you looked into this ? Hope its more dog friendly than Australia.

Guest Wildthing

If you contact Wayne Moore of Mooreholme Park Boarding Kennels in Melbourne, he will give you all the information you need and a quote. I have imported 2 cats from the UK on my return to this country. They coped fine and were extremely well looked after in quarantine at Eastern Creek in Sydney. Any animal that travels to another country must stay in the carrier en route, so toileting is done in the carrier. If they are removed from the carrier, then it usually means the country of destination will not accept them due to the possibility of disease entering that country. There is plenty of absorbent material lining the carrier. I have exported a cat to the US that travelled as part of the passengers baggage on American Airlines, so cost much less than going as cargo. However, that was several years ago, so not sure if that is still possible. I have also exported to NZ where the cats were only required to be at the given address for one month so that MAF inspectors could have access to them. No quarantine. Every country has different rules and regulations, so best to do some research. Wayne is your best contact. Have used Wayne for several domestic flights recently and he is usually the best quote going and extremely helpful. In my experience, the animals often cope better than the humans! Hope this information is helpful.

Edited by Wildthing

Going over won't be an issue (except for cost), vet certificate saying the dog is healthy is about it really.

Coming back there will be quarantine but in three years you can only hope and assume the "10 day quarantine" has come in by then - but it takes a lot of precise timing because titre tests for rabies have to be done to a specific time frame.

You cannot fly dogs out of Australia as excess baggage, however once you hit the West Coast of the US (or perhaps even Hawaii?) you should be able to clear them through whatever import requirements there are and take them on yourself as excess.

Not sure about Australia but from NZ to the US it used to be that they could only travel as far as LA in one day, then they are required to have a 12 hour lay-over. This was 15 years ago so may have changed and was when the dog was being picked up in LA to be sent on to his new owner on the East Coast, so not the same AFAIK as when the owner collects the dog.

Edited by Sandra777

c) the stress of leaving them alone in quarantine for a month on the way back in.

I would be very grateful for any advice people could offer!

I don't know if it still applies. But a breeder who imported tibbies told me that she nominated herself as the groomer who has ready access to dogs in quarantine. That was how she visited her dogs frequently over the period.

I actually own a European-sourced dog who spent time here in quarantine. I think her Australian importing breeder could also visit like that.

thanks for the advice guys!

I have sent a message to the moorholme park guy so hopefully he will give me some specifics and will look into the 10day thing if they are going to bring that in - organising all the right paperwork and vaccines shouldnt be an issue as im looking to do a placement at the vet school here :)

I think a lot depends on what your options are if you didn't take them.

I left my dog with my family for approx 18 months at one stage. I knew he would be loved and treated very well.

When I returned it was like I hadn't been away-dogs don't forget.

But 3 years is a very long time.