Beginner - What Camera To Buy

Nushie

Hi All - I am after recommendations on a good camera for a beginner or what features/settings i should be looking for in a camera as a beginner.

I have only ever used the camera on my iphone 3 to take photos and i have been really enjoying it but its just not producing the quality and the crispness that i want. I am currently taking photos of our family pets (has to be able to take somewhat decent action shots, dogs and horses running and jumping etc.), still life and some landscape.

Photography is something that i have always been interested in but just never had to opportunity to get a proper camera to play around with. I am also interested in playing around with photos in post production (I think that is what you call it :)).

What should i be looking for in a camera for a beginner? What should i avoid? Any brands that are better than others or more suited to beginners??

I love my Canon 550D - and I practically never took photos before I got it! I purchased it so I could take photos of Elsie while she was a baby! I am happy with the image quality, and feel I won't need to upgrade the body for a long time... Just need to buy new lenses now and then :p

I'm still pretty much a total beginner photographer, but I love the images it can spit out! Slight picture overload below :)

Waterfall pic

Puppy pic

Racing photo

Snow photo

Another snow photo

Hi DD. Thanks for such a quick response!! I love the photos and your signature photos. Are they taken with the lens?

Im hoping that with all the stocktake sales on at the moment I might be able to pick something up while its on sale ;)

PS Elsie is adorable!!

Edited by Nushie

Hi Nushie

Brand does not matter so much as the "feel" of the camera to you. They are all a little different and some will feel better in your hands than others.

I would choose a price range you can afford for a camera and lens, and then go look at them in shops, shortlist a couple, do some internet research and ask any questions, then make a decision.

Good luck, photography is great fun.

Di

Hi Nushie

Brand does not matter so much as the "feel" of the camera to you. They are all a little different and some will feel better in your hands than others.

I would choose a price range you can afford for a camera and lens, and then go look at them in shops, shortlist a couple, do some internet research and ask any questions, then make a decision.

Good luck, photography is great fun.

Di

Thanks for the tip, Tikira. I'm really not concerned with brand that much, at this stage I am just interested in getting some ideas of what others have used so that i can get an idea of what settings and features etc to look for. I dont like just wondering into stores unprepared, I always think that someone will take advantage of that and steer me into looking at something that i dont really need. But I will definitely be going into a store to check them out before i settle on one.

But you are right, I didnt think about shape and weight of each individual camera, not that i intend to spend hours and hours holding it but "fit" is a factor that i hadn't thought of. So thank you for that!! :)

:) yayy :)

You may enjoy a bit of research as you are looking/thinking. here are some links which contain interesting info .

LINK

LINK

LINK

Yay indead! I am really excited! I cant remember the last time i have been this excited!

I really appreciate the links; anything to give me an idea is GREAT!! So thank you.

Also just wanted to say that your photos on DOL are what has really motivated me to follow this up. I absolutely LOVE your photography. So even though you didnt mean it, thank you for giving me a kick in the butt to finally do something about it :)

:) yayy :)

You may enjoy a bit of research as you are looking/thinking. here are some links which contain interesting info .

LINK

LINK

LINK

Yay indead! I am really excited! I cant remember the last time i have been this excited!

I really appreciate the links; anything to give me an idea is GREAT!! So thank you.

Also just wanted to say that your photos on DOL are what has really motivated me to follow this up. I absolutely LOVE your photography. So even though you didnt mean it, thank you for giving me a kick in the butt to finally do something about it :)

ohh :o thanks.

..... Brand does not matter so much as the "feel" of the camera to you. ....

Just about everyone says this, so I am out of step, but totally disagree. If a camera has all the features you want/need but isn't quite the size you are used to, of course it will feel a tad too big or too small, too light or too heavy. So it gets side-lined to stay in the comfort zone of what you "think" is comfortable.

It will feel 'right' after some use, it's more what you are used to that makes it feel right, so don't let that put you off a camera that otherwise has exactly what you want. Large hands don't need a large camera, small hands are not limited to teensy cameras. It it's heavier than you are used to - well work out a bit, doesn't take much muscle to pick up just an extra chocolate-bar weight.

My other nit-pick is that people often steer 'beginners' to barely entry level, lowest common denominator models. Nothing wrong with a beginner starting with the best they can afford - and the technicalities of getting the best out of it can be learned. It beats getting something less than terrific, and being frustrated twelve months later because results don't pass a certain point.

..... Brand does not matter so much as the "feel" of the camera to you. ....

Just about everyone says this, so I am out of step, but totally disagree. If a camera has all the features you want/need but isn't quite the size you are used to, of course it will feel a tad too big or too small, too light or too heavy. So it gets side-lined to stay in the comfort zone of what you "think" is comfortable.

It will feel 'right' after some use, it's more what you are used to that makes it feel right, so don't let that put you off a camera that otherwise has exactly what you want. Large hands don't need a large camera, small hands are not limited to teensy cameras. It it's heavier than you are used to - well work out a bit, doesn't take much muscle to pick up just an extra chocolate-bar weight.

My other nit-pick is that people often steer 'beginners' to barely entry level, lowest common denominator models. Nothing wrong with a beginner starting with the best they can afford - and the technicalities of getting the best out of it can be learned. It beats getting something less than terrific, and being frustrated twelve months later because results don't pass a certain point.

Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate it. I want to see if i can get something that i can "grow" into. Start off using the basic stuff and then as i get more confident I can then try out some of the more advanced features.

So am I Huga - but have to say I'd really miss the Sony if it wasn't to hand. Think I said somewhere else I use the Nikon for serious and the Sony for fun - and am doing less and less serious and having more and more fun with cameras. Sony has some gimmicks like sunset light enhancement, and panorama settings which are addictive (embarrassed emoti if I used emotis) - but the quite old Sony lenses are beautiful, very worth hunting down and fine on the new bodies. And Sigma etc do all their good lenses with Sony attachments.

I have been looking around at new and used cameras. Some come with "body only" and some come with a lens. As a beginner, is it worth just getting the body only to play around with and get a lens later or just fork out the bit extra and buy them together? Some of them are only $100-$200 more to include a lens.

It is probably a stupid question cause chances are i will just buy both but its something that i didnt think about originally :)

Body only literally means just the camera body with no lens supplied. You will need a lens to take pictures :) Often you'll see deals with a couple of kit lenses included to cover a range of focal lengths - wide angle through to telephoto.

e.g.

http://www.camerapro.com.au/digital-cameras/canon-digital-cameras/canon-650dtkis-eos-650d-18-55isii-55-250-kit-650dtkis-australian-stock.html

Thanks for that CC!! The kits i have been looking at come with 2 lens so that should give me plenty to play around with :)

I also found some great tutorials on youtube. I have been reading a lot of articles but seeing it helps as well, especially when they compare the same photo but with different settings so it is all starting to sink in. Hopefully we will get a chance to go into a few stores this weekend and check some cameras out.