Greyhounds!

Jellyblush

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could provide me with some general advice regarding temperament of greyhounds, and also issues relating to ex-racing greys adopted as domestic pets.

I have a dog with separation anxiety, and am looking into fostering greyhounds with a view to adoption if I find a good match for my dog. I need an unflappable, calm dog that will hopefully influence my anxious girl rather than the other way around.

I know another dog isn't always the answer for separation anxiety, hence the fostering idea - I could hopefully help the rescue org, and find the right fit for Roo, two birds with one stone :)

Can any of you experienced people out there give me any info / issues to consider / reasons it's a good idea / reasons it's a bad idea ?

TIA :)

Jelly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, absolutely beautiful dogs.

We've lived next door to racing greyhounds for years now.... ones that their owner dotes on & treats just as much as pets. Best neighbour dogs anyone could have. Gentle, love a quiet life, snoozing and watching TV.

Our small tibbie dogs adore them. One of them was asked to be the small dog tester for the greyhound adoption program here.

But I said it wouldn't be much of a test because she loved the dogs. But that was fine.

She had a great time going along each time & her only problem was that her new best friend would go away in another car at the end. I agreed with her. Lovely, lovely dogs.

I've met some greyhounds with their own anxiety issues so you'd have to be very careful with what you fostered as I think, being quite a soft breed, they could pick up Roo's issues, though I could just have met some loons lol.

ETA I say this as the greys you'd be fostering would be new to household living so any rescue group would have to think very carefully about who they put with you.

Edited by Trisven13

I have only been involved with greyhound rescue for three years but have two greys of my own, both ex-racers. The first thing and IMO the most important thing is foster first for sure but make sure it is a reputable greyhound rescue group. The first rescue I fostered for (now no longer operating) left a lot to be desired, luckily for me I got my beautiful hounds from them but their knowledge and support was hhmmm not the best. My Stan is pretty much bombroof, he was my first foster and he is the laziest, most laid back hound but 8 fosters later I adopted foster failure number two...Maddie. She is totally different, quite a nervy little girl, a liitle bossy lol but my shadow, rarely lets me out of her sight when I'm home. In my limited experience there is a greyhound for every home, every situation, laid back beautiful creatures but of course I'm biased :)

As far as your situation and if it would help I don't know, hopefully someone like Hardys Angel or other long time greyhound rescuers will come in and give you the advice you need.

Hi Stan's mum, thanks for your comments.

I am concerned regarding the anxiety but I really want to try to do some good as I'm trying to help Roo. I like the idea of fostering. If anyone has alternative breed suggestions for breeds that could be the calming, steadying influence I'm looking for I am open to them.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Edited by Jellyblush

I was at a stall GAP had just a few weeks ago, got myself a free colouring book (hah!) and one of the guys there was holding a greyhound in his arms, upside down and completely stretched out like a cat. Great organisation, very calm dogs.

As Stans Mum and Rebanne have said a reputable, experienced organisation who offer fantastic support is crucial.

Temperament/behavioural assessments so that you and Roo are matched really well with your foster and quarantine prior to your fosters arrival into your home is also very important.

Grey's are such lovely dogs, I have fostered a few and met countless Grey's locally impounded.

I loved fostering Greyhounds :) You will be a great asset to the group you choose to foster for Jelly :)

I am sure some really experienced Hound Rescuers will come along to offer advice.

Hardy's Angel and Alyosha would be great to speak with :)

ETA

Edited by Nic.B

You have to be very careful. I know Roo is good with other dogs at daycare but will she be ok at home, in a small space with another dog? What if she takes her frustration out on the grey? What if she does make the grey a nervous nellie? Is this fair to the greyhound? I would be looking more to adopt a dog who has already been fostered and shown what it can cope with, how it behaves etc then to foster a dog that little is known about.

Yes Rebanne, I would have to totally agree with you in regards to being extremely careful with adopting a Grey. I have been following your other thread NicB & am aware you have

made wonderful headway with him & he does mix very well at day care BUT on his own turf, who knows, he may well be a very different dog. Some dogs are very territorial.

I know my girl won't tolerate any other dogs in our yard, end of story & turns into a very nasty piece of work. Yet out of our yard, 90% she is great.

So I would be following what Rebanne suggested & maybe look at a dog that has already been fostered. I can understand you wanting a Grey though, they are just so lovely :love:

But we have to be fair to both Roo & whoever else you bring into your pack :)

Most Greyhound rescues will have dogs that have been in foster or temp care for a while, and will certainly try to match any fosters with your situation. If Roos' reaction is a bit of an unknown quantity, maybe take it one step at a time and meet up with some Greyhound foster carers so Roo can meet some hounds to start with.

Yes Rebanne, I would have to totally agree with you in regards to being extremely careful with adopting a Grey. I have been following your other thread NicB & am aware you have

made wonderful headway with him & he does mix very well at day care BUT on his own turf, who knows, he may well be a very different dog. Some dogs are very territorial.

I know my girl won't tolerate any other dogs in our yard, end of story & turns into a very nasty piece of work. Yet out of our yard, 90% she is great.

So I would be following what Rebanne suggested & maybe look at a dog that has already been fostered. I can understand you wanting a Grey though, they are just so lovely :love:

But we have to be fair to both Roo & whoever else you bring into your pack :)

Which other thread BC Crazy, I dont have a thread about a dog (that I know of lol) Or maybe I am reading it wrongly :laugh: I am good at that!

Alyosha has a great point in perhaps meeting other hounds with Roo :thumbsup: Hound foster carers would also be great to speak with :)

The great thing Jelly is you are taking the time to research, get ideas and advice. Take your time (which is the impression I have from your posts)

As I said, you will be a great assest for a fantastic rescue :) Your commitment and passion toward your little Roo is truly wonderful!

I thought so too :) I was not sure of the Nic.B and "he" :laugh:

All good. There is lots of great advice for Jelly in this thread.

Meeting other Hounds and foster carers is great advice Alyosha :) I am sure Jelly and Roo will enjoy the interaction and experiences.

GAP is careful with what greyhounds go to these type of events. They don't take the shy or nervous ones, would hardly be fair to the dog.

Yes of course, that was just my two cents of what the end product of a well adjusted grey from GAP could be :) No comment about how suited they would be to helping another dog calm down, especially the pre-fostered dogs, as I've no experience in that area.