Comfortable Walking Harness

Daisy.Tea

Hello

I was trying to find some information about what sort of harness would be best to walk my dogs in. I have two aussie shepherds. I've done a bit of a search and all I can find are topics that go into teaching a dog not to pull rather than the harness themselves.

My dogs do not pull, I have trained them to walk on a loose lead. At the moment I walk or train one on a limited slip as they can slip out of normal collars and I like the reassurance. I did use an ezywalk harness on my girl when she was younger but it isn't the most comfortable for her and so it isn't fair to walk her on it when she doesn't pull. I prefer to walk them on a harness around the street and take it off for free running etc.

So what I am after is a comfortable harness for walking. It doesn't need to have a 'no pull' feature but if a really brilliant general walking harness does that's okay. I also wasn't sure how y front and other types compare in terms of muscles because I read on a previous post that harnesses can actually do damage?! If anyone can give me examples of what to avoid and what to look for and what they recommend for general walking it would be really helpful. Thank you.

Hello

I was trying to find some information about what sort of harness would be best to walk my dogs in. I have two aussie shepherds. I've done a bit of a search and all I can find are topics that go into teaching a dog not to pull rather than the harness themselves.

My dogs do not pull, I have trained them to walk on a loose lead. At the moment I walk or train one on a limited slip as they can slip out of normal collars and I like the reassurance. I did use an ezywalk harness on my girl when she was younger but it isn't the most comfortable for her and so it isn't fair to walk her on it when she doesn't pull. I prefer to walk them on a harness around the street and take it off for free running etc.

So what I am after is a comfortable harness for walking. It doesn't need to have a 'no pull' feature but if a really brilliant general walking harness does that's okay. I also wasn't sure how y front and other types compare in terms of muscles because I read on a previous post that harnesses can actually do damage?! If anyone can give me examples of what to avoid and what to look for and what they recommend for general walking it would be really helpful. Thank you.

Check out 'Black Dog' martingale harnesses... There are ones that attach from front and back or either depending on what your preference is... very popular with the rescue group I am involved in...

I'm also looking into martingale styles on Etsy... Just a bit unsure as they come from overseas...

If they don't pull, shouldn't they all be comfortable coz they really don't feel it?

I have my boy in a rogz step in one, and It's weird but good because it doesn't go near the throat like most harnesses do.

Edited by minimax

Oh I'd love to know too! Our new pup will be a similar size eventually and I have been looking and looking. He's in a puppia one at the moment, but that should last aprox 1 more week given his growth rate. Haha.

The puppia harnesses are good in that they don't seem to slide around as much as other harnesses. But in terms of quality I agree with huski, the webmaster harnesses are great and really well made.

http://www.ezydog.com.au/convert-harness/

I only bother with these now as a general purpose harness. Really strong, dont get in the way and have a handle so you can grab an offlead dog. Also has velcro patches so you can put your own patches on the side like in training etc. Popular shaped harness for law enforcement because it doesnt get in the way and they can wear it constantly without rubbing or twisting around the body.

FYI, there is some contention about harnesses designed to pass over the front of the dog's breast bone and then low over the shoulders as it's possible the design restricts proper shoulder movement. It's probably no big deal, but they are easy enough to avoid if you're uneasy about them, which I personally am. Recently went through the harness hunt again after the Web Masters both started wearing out, and ended up squarely back at Web Masters. They are really a top notch harness, and the balanced handle is amazingly useful. The Walkeez harnesses are also quite good, and Alpine Outfitters in the US custom make a nice flyball harness and an urban trail harness that both look great for everyday use and are easier on the bank account.

I use the Freedom no pull harness.

Can't say a bad word about it to be honest. Both as a training tool, and now when he doesn't pull nearly as much.

I think he finds it extra comfortable as well, as runs to put it on whenever i pick it up, and he has no problem doing sprints in it before i take it off when we get back home.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3470&ParentCat=277&string=Freedom No-Pull Dog Harness

FYI, there is some contention about harnesses designed to pass over the front of the dog's breast bone and then low over the shoulders as it's possible the design restricts proper shoulder movement. It's probably no big deal, but they are easy enough to avoid if you're uneasy about them, which I personally am. Recently went through the harness hunt again after the Web Masters both started wearing out, and ended up squarely back at Web Masters. They are really a top notch harness, and the balanced handle is amazingly useful. The Walkeez harnesses are also quite good, and Alpine Outfitters in the US custom make a nice flyball harness and an urban trail harness that both look great for everyday use and are easier on the bank account.

Blackdog Wear manufacture theirs with sliders on each end of the chest strap so the strap can easily be moved up or down depending on the individual conformation. :)

I have one of these for my Aussie Shepherd.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1771&ParentCat=449

They are still on free shipping at clean run. I have a Medium for my girl.

I love it, quick and easy to put on and take off ie. don't have to get them to step into it.

I really like the look of these. Plus so many colours!

Blackdog Wear manufacture theirs with sliders on each end of the chest strap so the strap can easily be moved up or down depending on the individual conformation. :)

I've used quite a few black dog products. That's our fave limited slip collar. I am assuming the walking harness would be a similar design to the car harness which I have for my girl. I found that the little adjusting slider that sits in the middle of the chest kept slipping on her as she is such a wriggler but even when it's not right she seems to find it comfortable.

I've used quite a few black dog products. That's our fave limited slip collar. I am assuming the walking harness would be a similar design to the car harness which I have for my girl. I found that the little adjusting slider that sits in the middle of the chest kept slipping on her as she is such a wriggler but even when it's not right she seems to find it comfortable.

Nuh, it's different in design and very different in how it works.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller