Dog Run Flooring

Zereuloh

Ok, so I don't have a puppy yet, but we are setting up a dog run so that when we do get a dog its got a nice safe space for me to pop it in when we go out. Last time I had a dog in there the ground turned to a mudbath, which we want to avoid happening. So, question is what do you find better?

Gravel?

Pavers?

Artificial grass?

bricks?

Which is easy to clean? If I use pavers, do I need to put down sand first before I lay them? I'm getting a quote for a concrete slab on the weekend, but I think that's probably the most expensive option and maybe out of our price range at the moment, so looking for something reasonably cheap that can be laid for the time being.

No to artificial grass - gets hot in the sun, can get damaged, exceedingly expensive for the half decent stuff, can get stinky - high maintenance with cleaning.

I personaly went with most grass with then gravel on the most used path area - my dogs will toilet on the grass.

Pavers or concrete if you don't want grass? All gravel can be high maintenance as well with cleaning.

Edited by sas

I have pavers under some of my dog runs and as soon as I can afford it they will be replaced with concrete which will be sealed and have built in drainage. Easier to clean and harder for rodents etc to dig up through the gaps.

The exercise yard is grass but it's a bit like a muddy minefield just at the moment. My mistake for giving Woody a bone while he was in there!

mulch could work. I doubt it will be used much, for the most part - the dog will have the run of the whole yard, which is a great size especially for a surburban area. Then it will be allowed inside when it wants while im home, and will sleep inside of a night, its really just a yard where we can lock it when we go out and we can't take it with us. So Mulch might do the trick, thanks!

Is it fairly easy to keep clean?

I would go pavers or concrete. My dogs runs are concrete and have an attached yard that is grass - My pride and joy I attend with much love :)

The Whippets are great in there and love it, then young BC pup weeeelllll lets just say he isn't allowed in the grass yard due to a mass torndao destruction! He has his own run with lots of things in it he can shred and a concrete floor :) :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Yep it is, we have playground mulch and it's not the best for long haired dogs as it gets caught up in their coat and tracked inside, before this we had a larger mulch which didn't have the same problem. It's great, we generally take some mulch out as we pick up (if its been raining we scoop out the mulch below the poo too) and if they decide to dig it takes 5 minutes with a rake to get it looking perfect. Ours is around 15-20cm deep and there is a weedmat sheet under it which stops then digging too deep. And if it gets smelly you just dig it out, put it in the green bin and bring in some more :)

I use a product called 'bodpave' and crusher/cracker dust. Runs drain really well and the crusher dust is easy to top up as required and relatively inexpensive. It is not hard on the dogs legs like concrete etc and I find it easy to clean and maintain. With the bodpave, they also can't dig holes in it. Downsides - the Bodpave is not a 'cheap solution' (but worth it IMO).

If you are looking for an interim solution for concrete, you may want to just put crusher dust down without the bodpave. check your slope for drainiage first and lay ag pipe if necessary to channel any water. I have couple of runs that are just crusher dust laid straight on the clay and they drain well and stay dry. though the dogs do dig in these from time to time which is a pain as they need more repair work/mainteneance. The crusher dust will provide a decent starting base for concrete or pavers if you decide to do that later.

Edited by espinay2

I use a product called 'bodpave' and crusher/cracker dust. Runs drain really well and the crusher dust is easy to top up as required and relatively inexpensive. It is not hard on the dogs legs like concrete etc and I find it easy to clean and maintain. With the bodpave, they also can't dig holes in it. Downsides - the Bodpave is not a 'cheap solution' (but worth it IMO).

If you are looking for an interim solution for concrete, you may want to just put crusher dust down without the bodpave. check your slope for drainiage first and lay ag pipe if necessary to channel any water. I have couple of runs that are just crusher dust laid straight on the clay and they drain well and stay dry. though the dogs do dig in these from time to time which is a pain as they need more repair work/mainteneance. The crusher dust will provide a decent starting base for concrete or pavers if you decide to do that later.

They look interesting. Do you just lay them down and then fill/cover with the crusher dust? can you just them to size if needed?

I've been looking at these for ages to put under the gravel in my horse yards and never found anybody who actually used them before. Did you buy them in a shop or did you order them online? If online, how much was shipping approximately? (I realize it depends on location but a general idea would be nice)

If it's just a small run mainly for them to sleep, then I'd go pavers or cement. I have pavers in mine. If I didn't they would dig, dig, dig. Mud would be everywhere and it would be impossible to clean. When they were younger they used to piddle and poop in there and it got quite smelly, I used to hose and scrub it everyday. But now they are older they rarely pee or poop in there so I only need to hose it out occasionally. It's important to get the drainage right as we haven't in ours and there's always an annoying puddle I can't get rid of.

It was a few years ago now do I can't remember price. We ordered online from the company. They are square paver tiles that fit together when you lay them. The most important thing is to have a flat base when you lay them or they tend to lift/shift. Good base preparation is important (we laid crusher dust first and levelled).

No damage to the tiles. A couple have lifted a bit in spots where our site prep wasnt the best (We put some of it down in a hurry). The tiles themselves are as good as the day we put them in 5 years ago. Just need to top the gravel up from time to time. I do like to keep filled/covered so it is easier on paws, but the dogs dont seem to mind. The gravel on top tends to shift a little away from the most used areas but is easy to just rake it back over (I use the back of a builders rake) and you dont get wear paths like you would on 'softer' surfaces. All in all very happy with it and would use it again, but would make sure to take the time to prepare the surface properly first (same as you would for any other paver really).

put concrete down and put belt rubber over the top. I've seen a few dogs with burnt/shredded pads from hard surfaces like gravel and concrete, and being non absorbent at least you can clean it without the urine seeping into an absorbable substrate over time.