Desexing Age.

His dad didn't get his 'final' coat till after 2 years of age, so if that's anything to go by it's possible he's still going. It's changing, slowly! He's got a racing stripe at the moment :laugh:

I am curious as I have only desexed one dog, a female, and her coat texture changed dramatically and for the worse. Heard later that is not uncommon for her breed, the spay coat can be much harder to manage. But I know another desexed dog of the same breed with a normal coat, too small a sample to tell either way :shrug:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy has one retained but palpable testicle (according to our vet) and one totally unable to be found.

In consultation with his breeder and his good vet, he's going for an op tomorrow. He's starting to show some pushier behaviour in the last few weeks (so there must be some testosterone happening in there somewhere) but I know with training and attention we could control these. However, given the number of entire female dogs within few hundred metres radius let alone 5km, and the busy roads, and our possibly not quite good enough fencing if he was really determined, and our lack of experience in dealing with an entire male, and that he'll have to have the operation one day and will probably get over it faster while young, tomorrow's B-DAY.

We've been going through all the options and worrying so much about this decision. He'll probably only be worried about missing breakfast :laugh:

His dad didn't get his 'final' coat till after 2 years of age, so if that's anything to go by it's possible he's still going. It's changing, slowly! He's got a racing stripe at the moment :laugh:

I am curious as I have only desexed one dog, a female, and her coat texture changed dramatically and for the worse. Heard later that is not uncommon for her breed, the spay coat can be much harder to manage. But I know another desexed dog of the same breed with a normal coat, too small a sample to tell either way :shrug:

My other girl, desexed (and unrelated to my boy) has a great coat, and has ever since she was little. My they are short haired. I know people with longer hair breeds sometimes say coats on desexed dogs are often a lot coarser or just not as nice, in general, as entire dogs of the same breed.

Sammy's uncomfortable but ok. Luckily the vet didn't have to go into the abdominal cavity. The testicles were together, very deep and had confused tubing so two incisions but not as bad as it all could have been :thumbsup:

Bill came to $395.85

5 Rimadyl chews $28.50

Consult $40.91

Anaesthetic 21-30 $160

35 minutes of surgery $210

Cone of shame $22.73

Butimidor (not sure what this is) $25

Discount (not sure why but maybe because we're long term clients with too many pets) -$127.27

He's a lovely man, our vet :)

Sammy is NOT ok - he had man-surgery! He's whimpering and whining :(

Two weeks ago Jodie had a nasty lump cut off with no whinging and had a ball in her mouth an hour after waking up.

Sammy is a sook! He's had his Rimadyl but just keeps whimpering :cry:

Edited by Katdogs

If the Rimadyl isn't working, I have some Metacam here if Ayman says you can give him some.

His surgery has been a bit more intrusive than a regular castration, so he's going to have a little bit more discomfort.

If he's still whinging later today, give Ayman a call and ask if Metacam might help him settle.

T.