Desexing Age.

Thanks guys. It's nice to know I have people to discuss this with. I want to make the right decision for PJ. At this stage I'm leaning towards not having him desexed. I would like to see how I go with training him. My plan is to take him to obedience training once the weather warms up. They run classes just up the road from me which is quite handy :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='Sandra777' timestamp='1370649786' post='6221865']

I have never owned a neutered male dog & have had no "issues" with them being anything other than dogs (canines). Most of the problems people have with adult male dogs are training issues.

I have never desexed a male either in over 30 years and never once have I experienced a supposed "entire male" negative trait. I have 3 entire males laying on the floor here as I type this :D

There IS another option. Find a vet who will do a tubal ligation on PJ. This can be done right now, and will allow all hormonal development and growth to proceed normally while at the same time preventing him from siring puppies.

You will need to manage any hormonal-related behavioural issues with training. Once he is an adult (from 15 months to 3 years depending on size and breed) you can have him castrated as well if you wish.

I prefer to leave my dogs entire and manage any possible risks than desex, but if I was desexing I would definitely wait till 18 months - 2years to allow the dog to mature first.

I know humans aren't dogs but if our reproductive organs and the associated hormones were removed when we were little we wouldn't really develop properly.

We desexed Wilbur an almost 2yr old lab about 3 months ago. It helped with the humping - which ceased post op and helped stop him cocking his leg in public where other dogs had left their pee mail.

We wanted to give him a chance to develop to type and then desex.

The vet said he'd settle down a bit after desexing - well that hasn't happened laugh.gif but then his craziness/immaturity wasn't why we got him desexed.

I dont believe there is a reason to castrate a male dog, unless you want to limit aggression in an otherwise aggressive animal.

Both my current FCRs are re-homes and both were de-sexed at a very young age. Jasper the male failed to reach full-size, and has bladder control issues, whilst Chloe has turned out very skinny and gangly, and thinks she is a male. My previous two; Ralph & Coco stayed entire, matured fully, and never had problems.

Boys dont forget to be boys just because you lop their nuts off. Jasper and Coco mated whenever she was in heat.

As for other undesirable humping, it is a behavioural/training issue. A friend has two de-sexed male dogs, that hump each other constantly, because they havent been trained not to.

Sterilising males does NOT control population, and the health risks far outweigh any benefits.

De-sexing a bitch obviously does control population, eliminates the risk of Pyometria, and apparently if done before her first cycle substantially lowers the risk of Mammary Cancer. There are downsides, and it is a tough call to make. (I was in two minds over this, but finished up getting a re-home bitch so didnt get to make the choice.) Based on my personal experiences with my dogs and the breeder, I wouldnt sterilise a bitch next time, however in breeds where mammary cancer was common I would probably go with the early option.

Edited by Big D

I prefere 6-8 months, that has to do with what I see at the kennel/daycare I work at. the behavioral tendencies that I always see dismissed on these threads I see in reality in full force, and I see all these "training issues" go poof as soon as the dog is neutered if done around 8 months and lesson but not disappear if not done till 18 months +. nope I have seen enough that i will never ever recommend waiting or not at all ever again (and yes I was at one time an advocate of late/no)

I prefere 6-8 months, that has to do with what I see at the kennel/daycare I work at. the behavioral tendencies that I always see dismissed on these threads I see in reality in full force, and I see all these "training issues" go poof as soon as the dog is neutered if done around 8 months and lesson but not disappear if not done till 18 months +. nope I have seen enough that i will never ever recommend waiting or not at all ever again (and yes I was at one time an advocate of late/no)

You not being able to control animals at a day care and making in a convenience for you, is hardly a reason to promote early desexing.

Training issues are training issues, desexing is not a cure all for them.

I like many others manage to live with multiple entire animals without the humping, aggressions and pissing all over the place that people report.

This is clearly a very contentious topic and obviously a lot of people have had different experiences and have formed different opinions. I don't think there is any 'correct' answer, I think its about doing what is best for you and your individual dog at that time.

Its a shame when topic like this start to turn from people offering their experiences and advice to people trying to assert their views over others and take digs at others in the process.

This is clearly a very contentious topic and obviously a lot of people have had different experiences and have formed different opinions. I don't think there is any 'correct' answer, I think its about doing what is best for you and your individual dog at that time.

Its a shame when topic like this start to turn from people offering their experiences and advice to people trying to assert their views over others and take digs at others in the process.

+1 :thumbsup:

Its your dog and therefore thank God its still your choice . The main issue in making the decision which best suits you and your dog is being able to make an informed and educated choice. If were were talking about taking away the ability for a child to produce hormones in this manner we would expect that this would impact on their long term health, development and longevity .Some will decide its worth the risks in order to have the dog fit in with their family without too much inconvenience others wont but lets make it an educated choice rather than one biased by those who see reducing the ability for a dog to reproduce unwanted puppies as the only consideration.

Not all owners of entire dogs are automatically irresponsible or stupid.

My cocker was desexed at 8 months old. This could possibly explain why she's a tiny 10kg, even though both of her parents were roughly 14kg. She also has a different coat texture, and never grew a silky feathering. Instead her fur is very thick + curly and almost always has to be shaved off.

I would desex when the dog matures, just to make sure the dog develops properly.

Lewis had to have the suprelorin implant for medical reasons.

After that I am never going to desex him unless his life depends on it!!!!!!!! He is a much nicer easier to live with, FAR easier to train when he HAS his testosterone than when he doesn't.

After mating his bitch he did try to be a bit humpy with the cat, that was addressed promptly and now he is back to his lovely normal self.

He never cocks his leg in or close to the house, he pers on lots of trees etc which I don't care about.

He will be staying entire.

Edited by OSoSwift

I'm going through this decision right now and am confused as hell.

My boy is 10mnths old, and on the limited register so i always assumed i was just going to have him desexed. And off of my first vets advice thought that had to happen at around 6-8months of age.

I started doing some reading and very quickly decided to let him mature before desexing. In the meantime, for unrelated reasons, months ago i changed vets and went to a very prominent and highly recommended vet.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks back, and my pup was in for an infection on his upper lip, when after the consultation the vet asked when i was desexing him. I said i wanted to let him mature a little more and she started listing off all of the cancers and issues associated with delaying desexing.

This has scared the crap out of me. Not really sure who/what to believ. Yes i know its my choice as the owner, but to make a choice i need to be informed, and when you get two very different views, I'm anything but comfortable on making the call.

He shows no signs of agressions, or humping, or trying to get out or anything like that ( i have the worlds most chilled out Boxer ;) ), so there's no urgency on my part and there is nothing that i'm thinkign about other than what is best for him. Still doesn't make it any easier!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't de-sex him just yet, being a Boxer and a large breed. People have kept male dogs entire for thousands of years and many of them live to a ripe old age, especially with today's improved veterinary care. You can still get issues if your dog is de-sexed and what you save in potential cancers he could make up for in growth related problems.

Obviously you should do more research and speak with more people (and not just take advice over the internet lol) until you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make. Have you spoken with your breeder? They would know their lines and since their sire and other studs must have been entires to sire litters they should be able to tell you what, if any, issues they have experienced with their entire males. If they are a good breeder, they should have some knowledge about their dogs for several generations. Also maybe speak to Steve on DOL, she used to breed boxers and is very knowledgeable on these things.

I get a little suspicious when a vet only addresses one side of the issue and since your vet does not seem to have mentioned anything about the cons of neutering it may be worth getting a few more opinions.

Edited by BlackJaq

thanks BlackJaq, have spoken with my breeder but only around appropriate age, not issues, and like a lot of breeders, her view is let him mature.

I'm due to send her some updated pics so will ask her when i do so.

I'll also see if i can contact Steve, thanks for that.

All the reasearch I've done so far, when looking from a breeders perspective, very clearly points towards letting Boxers, and most large breeds, mature before you desex.

Just the list of issues associated with not desexing that the vet highlighted, and the fact that she actually said some of these can become more of a problem the later you leave desexing scared me.

As mentioned i am only concerned with whats best for my pup. I have no issues i am trying to "fix" and don't have a moral personal perspective. He's also quite secure so getting out and finding a bitch is of no real concern currently.

The only reason i would desex early at this stage is if there was a clear medical benefit to do so, so am tryign to find out if that is the case.

thanks again!

Our family, like many others ,have always had dogs with testicles ..and 99% of them have lived well into their teens with no problems at all because of their natural state . one with a retained testicle was found to have cancer at about age 13/14 .

don't PANIC!!!

AFAIK prostate problems/testicular cancer etc take much more than a year or two to develop ......