Recycling For Animal Bedding :)

persephone

Lou-x Kimbriki tip out on the northern beaches has an excellent tip shop. Yesterday I walked past a place advertising free pallets. Amongst the wooden ones were plastic ones, they are seriously sturdy and I went back and fished them out. I can think of so many things to do with them, the solid ones would be an excellent table top for outside and the slotted ones will make great sides for a compost bin. Would make good animal pen sides too. I get silly excited when I find a good freebie????

Edited by hankdog

We scored one plastic pallet ..it is very strong, and ideal as a work surface for jobs like mending tyres , etc :)

The best thing I found as 'roadkill' once was a large rubber backed cotton rug/mat . it provided an excellent base for when we had baby puppy feet around :)

My BIL works down in the mines and he brings home thes plastic pallet things and I've told him he should sell them. He wires them together to create temporary fenced yards on their farm. He has also concreted them to give a cool patterned outdoor area. They'd even be fantastic for drying out wood that had been chopped and you'd be able to see any snakes that might be hanging out in the woodpile. Same for storing stuff off the ground. They are down in Woodstock and the mine is an hour north. Staff grab them all - the mine doesn't sell them but if anyone lives down that way I could put you in contact with my BIL?

Thank you for this thread! You've inspired me. I had just been looking at new dog beds online and was appalled by the prices before I read this thread yesterday.

Today I went to our local op shop and for $25 I've pretty much got the dogs' outdoor beds sorted. I got a rubber camping mat, which will be cut in half and the pieces will go under the plastic kennels as insulation, and a mattress protector and a sleeping bag, which will go inside the water proof bean bag covers currently in the kennels ( I had been going to get more polystyrene beads, but like these much better ). With some newspapers under the cushions and a couple of pieces of polar fleece for them to snuggle into, they'll be all set.

Now I just want some more camping mat-type stuff to put under their indoor beds and a couple more blankets for them to snuggle into and they'll be completely set up for winter!

Edited by popsicle