Recycling For Animal Bedding :)

persephone

Photos later ..

Mr W has a plastic crate with pillow/blankets ... tip , and opshop . The other cats have an old cane fishing creel .. wool car seat covers , and a fish box with old pillows and polar fleece.

Outside dogs - some have opshop blankets/doonas, and old pillows in waterproof covers ... Widget has a small wheeliebin on its side .. with a pillow covered in an old electric blanket ..and another 'snuggle' blanket .

Old Gertie sleeps on the porch ..and has a 'tent' made from a very sturdy dbl bed synthetic electric blanket thingy ..with other padded stuff over it .. squashed cartons as flooring , plus a pillow and a woollen blanket inside ..and a H/W bottle in a woollen cover . She is toasty warm in the mornings .. sleeping srtetched out , even when its close to zero ! :D

April pig has a 'tent/swag' under her shelter ... made from a tonneau cover and a large sheet of heavy duty plastic tarp. For bedding she has a lot of old shadecloth ... which she makes into a 'nest ' ... depending on the temperature . I also add very strong bits of tarp etc if I have them ..but shadecloth seems the best so far .

Thank Heaven for opshops/tips /garage sales !!

Our tip shop often has ute canopies for sale, seriously thinking about turning one into a bed for the dogs when I move :)

The best one i got so far was a huge wooden box that new tyres are delivered to the shop in, it turned in to a little night pen for the three chooks we had at the time and worked really well.

:) those thick strong boxes for fridges etc make great puppy 'cubbies'!!

cut a few puppy sized holes (not too big ) at varying heights/distances apart ..throw in a few treats & toys , and enjoy the chasey games & hide& seek fun!

Ute canopies are terrific ! April pig has had hers since I got her ..about 3 yrs ago!

We have 2 destructo dogs where bedding is concerned. Best bed I've found for my biggest is a single foam mattress from salvos,ex hospital with a tight fitting thick vinyl cover.Seems indestructable and great for such a heavy boy on hard floors.Old car bench seats last well too.

The best one i got so far was a huge wooden box that new tyres are delivered to the shop in, it turned in to a little night pen for the three chooks we had at the time and worked really well.

IF you can get them ( I haven't been able to as yet... but am working on it ;) ) I have seen the large plastic citrus bins used to make terrific pens for chickens/puppies/baby lambs ,etc

Guest Wildthing

Any item has many uses - they are only limited by ones imagination! Mine has developed since I got into cat rescue. Have looked at ute canopys and thought they would make good chook and cat shelter. Could also use them for rabbits. Over the years, I have scoured op shops and the local tip shop and found heaps of bargains. Old air conditioning duct is very good for tunnels for small animals to run through and I also use the old compost bins that were slightly oval shaped to make tunnels around the garden. The halves sit on the ground really well and are easy to move for cleaning and checking for Red Backs. Haven't seen an old tonneau cover yet, but will be keeping my eye out as that can be used to cover things for protection. Someone said straw bales make good insulation, so will probably use then at some stage as well. I have rabbits, chickens and cats here.

Edited by Wildthing

I've got a pattern for a round cat house (would suit any small animal really). A lovely DOLer put me in contact with her brother who gave me about 30kg of new t-shirts with damaged designs. So now I am sourcing those rubbery yoga mats from op sops and I'm going to make my own recycled version of the round cat houses for Ams cattery (and some other Peiradise supporters who also rescue cats).

I've got lots of other ideas for all those t-shirts too once the dog coat making season is over.

I'm so happy to take a photo if I can find him...

I made a chicken that parachuted from 10 metres, landed and laid a raw egg, it was pretty awesome LOL. It was about 8 years ago now and I never could bare to part with him :)

Now, THAT sounds pretty amazing :) ..and a LOT of Red Bull!!! Well done .