Release Word

I'm awful - have used so many different release words with my dogs it's a wonder they listen to me at all.

'OK' does seem to have floated to the top of the pile and my 18mo boy released yesterday when I accidentally said 'OK' but was not intending to release him - so yes this is likely to be a problem but it comes so naturally to me I'm finding it hard not to use it.

Other words I've used include: 'you're done', 'that'll do', 'scoot!' (this is another favourite), 'free', 'yes'. But even then I find myself saying 'OK, scoot!', or 'OK, that'll do' - so the 'OK' bit seems to be the consistent link across everything.

I am sad to say these words are all still in use in different circumstances. My poor boy I do feel a bit sorry for him.

Edited by Zug Zug

First two was "break" and my next was "free".

However if we are tugging etc and I want her to latch on again or to drive to a thrown toy I do say " Get It".

I'd personally not use OK or Yes as I say them all the time. I like "party", could be fun to use it next. :)

I use "End". Sounds a lot like "And",heard all the time. I think because the word is used by itself and with more formality they get it quickly.The context is clearer?

Edited by moosmum

I use OK for everything. Dogs are pretty good at context - mine have no choice :D

OK = agility start line stay release (both dogs), fetch (Em only), tug (after a give) or relax (Zig pees and Em hunts). I always, always leash the dogs or crate them or release them to relax before I speak with an instructor/training partner. Or else I'll talk whilst engaging the dogs with a game.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I'm awful - have used so many different release words with my dogs it's a wonder they listen to me at all.

'OK' does seem to have floated to the top of the pile and my 18mo boy released yesterday when I accidentally said 'OK' but was not intending to release him - so yes this is likely to be a problem but it comes so naturally to me I'm finding it hard not to use it.

Other words I've used include: 'you're done', 'that'll do', 'scoot!' (this is another favourite), 'free', 'yes'. But even then I find myself saying 'OK, scoot!', or 'OK, that'll do' - so the 'OK' bit seems to be the consistent link across everything.

I am sad to say these words are all still in use in different circumstances. My poor boy I do feel a bit sorry for him.

Whenever I hear someone say "that'll do" I automatically remember that movie about the little piggie, Babe.

I've mostly been using 'okay' too, but I've been trying to switch it to 'we're done'. Although I know someone who uses 'party!' as their release word, and it's making me want to choose something more fun like that too :D

I find it is more of a problem for me to remember to say the right word "OK! I mean good! ah crap I mean YES!" :o :laugh:

I figure it's a successful day when I can just call a dog by its correct name and gender. Now that I think about it I should really replace "good boy/girl" with "good dog" too :o

yeah I've apparently started calling my kelpies by each other's names while trialling. They don't seem to mind too much. I use OK for all of them and they seem to know it only works if I say it. I was injured recently and got a friend to run one of my dogs. She said 'OK' and the dog looked over at me to see if she was allowed to move.

I seem to make some sort of a mishmash of their names LOL It would probably be easier if I just called them the wrong name, but I seem to just combine names willynilly :laugh: I was trying to call Rush the other day and called her "Shoes" (a mix of Fuze and Shock)

For Xena I used to use 'Jam'. For the two now I just use 'go'.

They won't release (shouldn't and usually don't) unless the person who told them to do whatever it is they are doing (sit/drop/whatever) gives them their release cue.

Ours are pretty good at only releasing when the person who asked them to wait gives the ok, although Sweep prefers it to come from his mumma :laugh: I am forever calling out to Tailwag "can you tell your dog he is allowed to eat his dinner now?!" as he will be sitting there with a pile of drool in his bowl thinking he can't eat...

As far as release words go, I always used "Let's Go!" as I figured it wasn't too common in my vocabulary. I have been caught out once or twice with it but its pretty rare. They also learnt "Go" as that is Vickie's release and we used to spend a fair bit of time at her place. Then I moved in with Tailwag and she uses "OK" and can never remember to say anything else so they all learnt "OK". Releasing a toy is "Give" or "Give me that F***ing toy right now".

Ours will also release on their names. It makes it easier with 11 dogs to have the ability to release them 1 by 1 (feeding time, going out the back door, teasing them while in a stay at the beach, the list is endless :) )

I was trying to call Rush the other day and called her "Shoes" (a mix of Fuze and Shock)

:laugh: cute :D

--

I'm not training at a club at the moment and have organically started using "f*** ya then" as a no-reward marker. I foresee this becoming a problem in the future :o

Edited by TheLBD

I find it is more of a problem for me to remember to say the right word "OK! I mean good! ah crap I mean YES!" :o :laugh:

I figure it's a successful day when I can just call a dog by its correct name and gender. Now that I think about it I should really replace "good boy/girl" with "good dog" too :o

:rofl::rofl: My dogs think their name is "Rory Kirra whoever you are" :rofl:

I use free. I used to know a guy who was a pastor and a dog breeder and he would use 'amen' as a release word :laugh:

That's funny - I think my new release word (to add to my already long list) should be a big 'hallelujah!'

I use "good dog" at home, and "good dog" I mean "good job" on the hockey field... I've also started saying "yes" a lot on the hockey field. Just as well I'm having a break (sort of) this year.

Non reward markers

"what! do you think you're doing?!"

"oops" (for me and for her)

Susan Garrett suggests using "is it? / where is it?" as if she was lost on course for an NRM because where she competes any kind of verbal reprimand (which NRM might be mistook for), is not allowed.

Not like here - where verbal reprimands are not allowed but nobody gets DQ'd for it - usually the loud verbal reprimand comes out just after the dog does an off course... so they're already DQ'd - DQ is not a disincentive.

Evil hound dishes out more verbal reprimands than I do.