Release Word

My last dog I used "okay" :hitself: silly really because of the amount of times I say okay without really wanting to release her. I'd been using it for awhile before it was pointed out not to be the best work to use.

Murphy I started using "Free" problem I'm finding is that almost everyone else in our class is using that word - so he hears is & is off (any excuse for him really :laugh: So now I'm wanting to use another word, but want one that slips off the tongue easily & that not that many people have.

After watching Crate Games DVD last night I like "Break" but it doesn't seem to roll off that easily for me.

Love some suggestions please

I use 'okay' with Daisy, but with Wisdom I use 'yes'.

I proof the dogs by getting other people to offer them their reward and give their release command, it is easy to teach them to ignore it unless you've said it.

I use "okay" with a hand gesture, like wave/sweep of the arm. I didn't realise I did the arm thing, but she doesn't respond to when I say "okay" without it, which is good considering the stupid generic word I accidently chose to use lol

"Off you go" is another release word I use but thats more for "go feral/run off leash" rather than a general release.

Edited by minimax

it is easy to teach them to ignore it unless you've said it.

But IME it's me saying it that's the problem :laugh: When I'm with a trainer, after they've explained something I automatically say "OK!" and off shoots the dog :swear: Happens to me all the time at herding, I'll never use "ok" again :o

Justrace how about "go"?

it is easy to teach them to ignore it unless you've said it.

But IME it's me saying it that's the problem :laugh: When I'm with a trainer, after they've explained something I automatically say "OK!" and off shoots the dog :swear: Happens to me all the time at herding, I'll never use "ok" again :o

I find it is more of a problem for me to remember to say the right word "OK! I mean good! ah crap I mean YES!" :o :laugh:

I find it is more of a problem for me to remember to say the right word "OK! I mean good! ah crap I mean YES!" :o :laugh:

I figure it's a successful day when I can just call a dog by its correct name and gender. Now that I think about it I should really replace "good boy/girl" with "good dog" too :o

Edited by TheLBD

I figure it's a successful day when I can just call a dog by its correct name and gender. Now that I think about it I should really replace "good boy/girl" with "good dog" too :o

yeah I've apparently started calling my kelpies by each other's names while trialling. They don't seem to mind too much. I use OK for all of them and they seem to know it only works if I say it. I was injured recently and got a friend to run one of my dogs. She said 'OK' and the dog looked over at me to see if she was allowed to move.

:rofl: huski

TheLBD exact reason I wished I'd never used it with my old girl. That happened to me more times that I would have ever imagined - we just must be very agreeable people hehehehe

I do like "Go" I might give that a try & see how it goes (no pun intended)

I'd like to eventually have him only releasing to me (or hubby) saying it, but he is trying so hard to keep it all together - imagine a champagne bottle being shaken & the cork NOT popping out - that's my boy LOL He's just so funny & bouncy, I just love his exuberance - although everyone keeps telling me it's craziness - meh what ever it is, I love him for it.

Edited by Justrace

First dog, release is free. SEcond dog, release is "party"... and yes, I get some odd looks from instructors during class, when everyine else is usinf free and okay, and I use party, hehe. I did consider using play for the second dog, but I use that way to much when I talk to them.

I use "yes" (you've got it right and now you'll get a reward and you are release) and play (it is over, you're free to do what you want). I want to introduce "break" though, but not as a true release word (ie you're free to get up, now run the agility course!). I also have "finished" (we've finished training, off you go).

Edited by megan_

I use free but I'm not in a class situation so don't have that problem. It doesn't really matter what you use, it means nothing to the dog(you could use the word brocolli if you wanted!) You could use go, gone, run, done, break, finished or even some sort of colour code(blue, green...)

Depends on the situation. To come to us or be released to their food bowl, we use "OK". At the startline we use "go" as that means to take the obstacle in front of them & to be released to play we say "go play" Our dogs seem to know the difference much more than us. With the young guy, if we line him up at the startline & say "OK" he runs around the jump & comes to us :laugh: I am sure there is subtle body language used too, as we can use OK in a conversation & they know the difference. :)

Edited by sheena

For Xena I used to use 'Jam'. For the two now I just use 'go'.

They won't release (shouldn't and usually don't) unless the person who told them to do whatever it is they are doing (sit/drop/whatever) gives them their release cue.

I use "go" but it does my head in at trials when the judges say "when you're ready - you may GO". The dog stays (phew) but my head goes to mush.

Was thinking of changing it to some other word like "Va" or "Allez" (French for "go) or "gehts" (Gates) - german for go (sounds too much like "wait" - which is my stay word) or even Vite (veet) or Schnell (hurry). Actually I like "Schnell" but "go" is what comes out of my mouth naturally.

Changing is going to mean training and practice for both of us. That's the point of training - to make awkward moves more comfortable.

I don't want to use "break" cos too many other people use it. But it was funny when LOH tried to use it with my dog and she just stayed... oops.

For release I also use "geddit", "on special" (dinner time), (go) "say hello", go-play... which are all a little bit context specific.

Guest Clover

:laugh: I am the same, lucky the boys don't mind being called girls and vice versa lol.

I use ok for realeasing after training or at the park to free run and to eat. And for crossing roads now I use "come on" because using ok would cause me to have multiple dogs charge ahead like I was releasing them (edited: on lead obviously) :o.

Edited by Clover