Regular Vitamin B12 Injections?

cavvysavvy

Good morning, I was wondering if there are any disadvantages to weekly b12 injections for a cavalier. Wanting to know if other users have benefited from this practice and your reasons for giving it. My reasons would centre around stress alleviation, increasing appetite and energy levels. I was wondering if this was enough of an indication, or whether it should only be used if a dog is anaemic?

You help and feedback is appreciated

Good morning, I was wondering if there are any disadvantages to weekly b12 injections for a cavalier. Wanting to know if other users have benefited from this practice and your reasons for giving it. My reasons would centre around stress alleviation, increasing appetite and energy levels. I was wondering if this was enough of an indication, or whether it should only be used if a dog is anaemic?

You help and feedback is appreciated

I'd say that's a Vet question, I'd also speak with a good Behaviourist if you haven't already.

I'd say that's a Vet question, I'd also speak with a good Behaviourist if you haven't already.

Yes!

I would definitely talk with your vet, and if you are concerned with low energy/inappetance , get blood profile and a full checkup done , jut to help find out what's happening .

My stress head kelpie is on daily vitamin B supplements. So are a few other show dogs I know. We all just use a horse product at the appropriate dosage. I would try that first before going the injection route and definitely talk to your vet!

I am not talking about a multi-vitamin but a specific oral vitamin B supplement. There is less chance of adverse reactions using an oral supplement. Saying that most are usually B1 (Thiamine) as that tends to be the main deficiency unless the animal is actually anaemic. All the symptoms the OP listed can be caused by B1 deficiency.

So first stop would be the vet to run bloods to check for anaemia and discuss options :)

Edited by mirawee