Road Trip Vic-sa-ayres Rock-qld-nsw-vic

Hi there, OH and I have never been to Lake Eyre or Ayres Rock and we're planning a road trip this winter to go to see both and enjoy the east coast on the way back.. We'd love to take Vulcan along especially as well be gone quite a few weeks and figured if anyone had attempted this trip before with dogs they would be here on DOL. I've just got his vaccinations up to date and understand we will probably need to kennel him along the way while we go into national parks. Vulcan is a seasoned traveller and is terrific in the car and has stayed at numerous pet friendly hotels without incident but hes never stayed in a kennel before - we have lots of friends and family happy to care for him. Id love your advice on dog friendly places and camping spots to go to and good kennels to use. Im particularly interested in ideas on what to do with him while we visit Ayres Rock and Lake Eyre as they are both national parks. I know he will need tick treatment so advice about wich is best would also be appreciated.

Pawsaroundoz has done it with her whippets, actually I think she may still be travelling and Wobbly has been around Aus with her APBT. I'm sure there are others and hopefully they will come in and give you some advice. I think it would be fantastic I would love to travel with my dogs :)

Will be reading with interest as it's on the agenda for us down the track too. :) Give me a yell if you are heading down the NSW sth coast and wanting to go into any of the national parks around here as he's welcome to visit or stop at our property on the highway for a run if needed :)

While I've been around that area twice, it was a few years back and things change. First trip was in a campervan, Gordon Setter girl and me. From Gippsland, through SA, via the Sturt, Alice Springs, showed at Alice Royal Show (that was an experience lol) then on to Tennant Creek where daughter lived. Stopped at all the touristy places and a lot of other interesting spots. Mainly camped off the road, just me and the dogs under the stars, magic!

Next was a few years later, daughter's wedding in Darwin. This time from the Mallee. Went up the same way, towed a caravan this time and 3 dogs. Coming back, cut across to the coast at Three Ways, went across on the ferry to Magnetic Island to visit a son (poor Border Terrier got sea sick) then down coast to Brisbane. Did a few dog shows on the way. Inland through Dubbo, West Wyalong, Hay back into Victoria and home. Mainly camped off road, stayed overnight at a couple of caravan parks but off road was much better with the dogs, quiet and peaceful in the bush. Another magic trip!

Never had a problem with the dog/s on either trip.

Balranald caravan park has dedicated cabins for the use of people with dogs. And there is a great big race course area on the other side of the town where you can walk a dog. I didn't let mine off lead because people were exercising their horses and she's not that well behaved around horses.

The Armidale Highlander Village also has dedicated dog friendly cabins.

Most other caravan parks would let you have dog on lead - in your own tent or caravan - but you couldn't leave it there unattended.

In areas near the dingo fence you may have to watch out for dog baits. And the spikey grass is pretty harsh on a dog. Splinters are us.

But mostly if you call ahead - there are dog friendly places.

I think when we visited Lake Eyre - the bit we went to and through and camped at was not national park. it was part of Mooloorina Station. They do camping - if you contacted them you could ask about dogs (on lead). Any place that runs sheep isn't going to be keen about dogs off lead but many towns (especially in the pitlands) have fairly large packs of loose dogs some of which belong to people and are special and some of which are feral and get their food from the garbage dump. You can't tell which is which until the owner is around.

There's a few doggy day care centres just outside Adelaide CBD - which might be good if you want to go into town and visit the museum and art gallery and shops...

We did Northern Territory in the 80's with our GSD and just trapsed around and camped wherever.

However went to Ayers Rock three years ago and suspect you can't take your dog there now - National Park - the same would apply to Kings Canyon and the Olgas (although you don't really encounter any Rangers.

Best to ring ahead as otherwise you would be best to board the dog in Alice Springs before visiting the National Parks.

I haven't travelled the areas you plan to go but I did drive from Perth to Lake Argyle, with my last dog...had an absolute ball :D

This book Holidaying with Dogs was really helpful in the planning of my trip.

Another site which is for camping is handy too OZ camps

When I wanted to go to places where dog's weren't allowed I put him in at local vets, where there were groomers, for the day. He got pampered and it was much cheaper than kennels.