A Little Dog's Journey To Safety

One of my foster carers likes to go through Gumtree, it's always full of unwanted dogs.

We all know that but I wanted to share with everyone the story of one very sweet little angel that I met today.

She's a purebred Pomeranian who found herself in a large pound in February this year. She was bought by someone for an elderly relative and had all vet work done.

Elderly relative went into a nursing home recently - I have no idea how old they were, perhaps this could have been foreseen, perhaps not - it was only a matter of weeks that this dog was their companion. :(

Relative took dog back for a short while before advertising on Gumtree.

New owner comes along.

New owner has dog for 3 days before advertising on Gumtree as they don't want her now.

My foster carer contacts them and adopts the dog ... the paperwork trail has to be tidied up but this little girl is now safe. Everyone involved know that she is now with a rescue group and will be rehomed.

She's housetrained, weighs 4 kilos and has no issues with people, children or other animals. She came matted and full of fleas.

It just makes me so very sad that a truly delightful dog, free of any issues whatsoever has such a struggle to be valued in this life.

I despair of humanity some days. :mad

It always shocks me just how many sets of hands a dog can go through before making it into rescue, even if they are still only puppies! We are truly blessed that dogs are so forgiving and willing to trust us terrible humans again so quickly.

I struggle to look on Gumtree because I want to contact the people and have a reality chat with them. No your blue staffy is not rare. Your purebred dog should not be on sold undesexed. The fact your large bitsa escapes is your fault, not the dogs. That unwanted litter of pups was no accident given you have an entire male and female dog sharing a yard!

Yes I despair too :( I comb through Gumtree several times a day looking for greyhounds and drive dogmad a little bonkers with my constant emails of the purebred, the old and the occassional Iggy. Whilst the saying "we can't save them all" is true, Jane gives it a damn good shot. Well done to your foster carer and I too love your work my friend.

Tragically, delightful little dogs such as these are being killed by their thousands in pounds every day because of us humans. Check out the thread in News about the Logan Pound stats. :cry:

And yet with those stats they have a grand total of 6 dogs for sale for their site.

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/animals/dogs-for-sale.

Many beautiful dogs - including what looks like a pure Bichon - impounded. What will happen to most of those? Easier to kill them than to try and work with a rescue group I guess.

I admit I have been guilty of sending emails to people on Gumtree about breed rescue options etc. I am always very polite and some appreciate the information - some are nasty.

Edited by Rosetta

Ams and I made contact with Logan Pound about a pei with bad skin - me by phone and email, but of course they never contacted us back and it was likely he was pts rather than given a chance with people who were interested in taking him on.

Anytime I am out there you can tell there are loads of dogs out the back but rarely more than a couple in pens up the front looking for adoption. Sad.

I despair of humanity some days. :mad

Yet, people like you and your foster carer give others like me hope for humanity... because we know there ARE people who DO care...

Loving your work my friend!

T.

Yes I despair too :( I comb through Gumtree several times a day looking for greyhounds and drive dogmad a little bonkers with my constant emails of the purebred, the old and the occassional Iggy. Whilst the saying "we can't save them all" is true, Jane gives it a damn good shot. Well done to your foster carer and I too love your work my friend.

Well said guys. Don't forget to fill your hearts with feel good stories, funny movies and things that make you grin from ear to ear, because not only do you guys (Jane, and rescuers alike) deserve this, your cup is full enough to keep on doing the great work you do.