Teaching The Push-through

For those who arn't familiar with what the "push-through" is, it's when you push the dog around the side of the jump so that he jumps from the backside of the jump. Usually only get it in Masters. When I taught Bindi, no-body taught me the proper way to do it, so I just taught her to "get out" just before the jump & then pull her back over it. Just started to teach the new boy & thought I would do it the way Sandy Rogers teaches it, in the Clean Run issue of August 2010. She teaches it by stepping & pushing the dog (who is on your outside leg) past the staunchon & then rotates her body so the dog comes back over the jump. When she pushes the dog out, she gives the same verbal cue as her "jump" cue. I was actually thinking it would be better to put a different verbal cue on this action. For those who do the push-through, what verbal cue do you use if any. ???

Verbal cue at our club is "zip, zip, zip" but that sounds too much like "Zig, Zig, Zig!" :laugh: I use "round" which is a carry over from an exercise I played with him years ago but I'd like to change it to something snappier. Yes, pushing the dog beyond the refusal plane is how we teach it, more or less.

Verbal cue at our club is "zip, zip, zip" but that sounds too much like "Zig, Zig, Zig!" :laugh: I use "round" which is a carry over from an exercise I played with him years ago but I'd like to change it to something snappier. Yes, pushing the dog beyond the refusal plane is how we teach it, more or less.

I already use "go round" when wanting them to wrap around the staunchon from the front. Maybe just zip, zip would be good. OH says Oh No, just one more word he has to remember...but hey...if it's good enough for the dogs to remember it :laugh:

I already use "go round" when wanting them to wrap around the staunchon from the front. Maybe just zip, zip would be good. OH says Oh No, just one more word he has to remember...but hey...if it's good enough for the dogs to remember it :laugh:

A wrap for us is "check, check, check!" Poor OH :laugh:

Tailwag has been teaching it as "out round" pretty much a combination of "out" which her dogs understand as "move away laterally" and "round" which she uses for a 180-270 turn. Her dogs seem to be picking it up pretty well.

I find it too hard to say and too ambiguous for my brain to handle so have been using "far". Stolen from a trainer who likes to teach the "far cue" (read it aloud). Most people I have seen use the word "back" but that means something different to our dogs.

Are people teaching different cues for wrap around tight vs jump long?

Megan...yes...when I give the cue "go round" I want a nice tight wrap. DC with Bindi her cue is "get out" followed by "here". Just surprising that Sandy Rogers uses the same verbal cue as her "jump" cue. Love the idea of "far-cue" but could lead to DQ on course :laugh:

My dogs don't have a cue for a jump so it wouldn't cause a problem for me :) I don't have enough time to run a course telling them to do each jump, they just have to do it because it is in front of them :laugh: Perhaps it is the same with Sandy? Once the dog is trialling she is no longer telling it to jump so the cue becomes something only used for the backjump?

Oh, and I don't call it a far-cue :laugh: I just say far :)

I use "tight" for a tight wrap.

Are people teaching different cues for wrap around tight vs jump long?

For me, wrap around = verbal cue and decel before the dog commits. Jump long or 180 or anything else is all about acceleration (arms pumping), deceleration, cue arm, shoulder turns etc. I don't use a verbal for jumping unless it's an emergency :D

I have decided to go with the verbal cue "push" supported by my outer leg & arm. I am introducing the push-through to class tonight & just wanted people's opinions as to whether or not it should have it's own verbal cue. Thankyou everyone for your input. With both a verbal cue & body cue, I don't see why it can't eventually be distance handled, though I have never seen it done. :)

I have decided to go with the verbal cue "push" supported by my outer leg & arm. I am introducing the push-through to class tonight & just wanted people's opinions as to whether or not it should have it's own verbal cue. Thankyou everyone for your input. With both a verbal cue & body cue, I don't see why it can't eventually be distance handled, though I have never seen it done. :)

Yes, definitely can be done - a couple of handlers I know have trained it really well and the dogs absolutely nail it. I'm not one of them :laugh:

Yes, definitely can be done - a couple of handlers I know have trained it really well and the dogs absolutely nail it. I'm not one of them :laugh:

I have done it once, but didn't mean to & got DQ'd. It was a distance challenge where she came down the A-Frame then had to go out to a jump. Because I had trained her P/T's by first sending her out then bringing her back over...I was too early with my "out" & she did a beautiful P/T instead of just taking the jump. She was so happy with it, her tail was wagging & she thought she had been such a clever girl :thumbsup: I didn't have the heart to tell her we had just been DQ'd :laugh: & praised her instead & kept running.