Losing Control On A Fast Pace

Hi,

I have been doing obedience with Hamish since last Oct. He is very smart and knows what to do but results vary depending on how cheeky he is feeling on the day (Airedale!)

My problem is when we are told to switch to a "fast pace". He absolutely loses the plot, thinks it is playtime and goes after other dogs. I think I got whiplash today when he yanked me hard after one. icon_smile_mad.gif I know it is a terrier thing to chase, but geez!

Any advice as to what I can do about this?

I can't really talk, cause I'm failing at obedience, but does he stay with you for normal heel pace? maybe try going slightly faster for fast pace (still in a walk, but really fast) and see if he stays with you? and so on, until he realises he's supposed to stay with you?

Just briefly - when training, try rewarding for being in position when you CHANGE pace. Maintain fast pace very briefly before slowing down and rewarding again. Work on change of pace separately. Make sure he understands heel position too :)

Sorry for brevity. On phone and camping!

Agree with TSD regarding very brief period of fast pace and then slow back down.

But the other thing you could work on first is YOUR movement - desensitise him to that first. Often it is the excitement of observing the owner running - triggers the dog into thinking "weee! we're off!!" (and not necessarily knowing why or what is being chased, and so looks for something that is a possible likely). Break down the exercise into increments by practicing the exercise with you moving your legs as though at a run, but in actuality you're only covering ground at as close to normal pace as you can. Keep (what I call, for want of better description) "knee jogs" very brief and reward your dog for not getting 'silly' (so to speak). Build up the length of time you can do this and when you're dog is ok with that, begin to actually increase the speed of the pace.

Thanks. I will try that. Though he does sometimes get silly just seeing dogs around him running! He's a bit special.

Edited by Cat

Maybe in class you could try just sitting with him focused on you when the others are doing fast pace around you. This way it may help him get used to the excitement without the added excitement of moving fast himself. I am sure your instructor would be fine with this if you mentioned at the start of class why you are doing it.

Hi,

I have been doing obedience with Hamish since last Oct. He is very smart and knows what to do but results vary depending on how cheeky he is feeling on the day (Airedale!)

My problem is when we are told to switch to a "fast pace". He absolutely loses the plot, thinks it is playtime and goes after other dogs. I think I got whiplash today when he yanked me hard after one. icon_smile_mad.gif I know it is a terrier thing to chase, but geez!

Any advice as to what I can do about this?

Don't suddenly charge, ease up and ease down smoothly, always think of big transports going through the gears up and down a hill, best way I can put it, fast pace is simply a noticeable change, not a race.................

<br />Are other dogs regularly a distraction for him? How does he respond around them if you play a game with him that gets his excitement/arousal up?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

They can be distracting for him...if two start barking or starting to play he wants to be involved. Or if one next to him breaks their stay he may too. I can usually keep his attention with food. Towards the end of class I had him sitting in front of me focused on me while dogs were hurrying by in close proximity and he stayed calm and focused. I think him running increases his excitement.

I have not tried a fast heel at home yet.

If I don't do the fast pace with everyone else's s was just walk normally he is no where near as bad and if he does get a bit revved up is at least easier to control. So I think working up to it will be good to try.

Thanks all.