Price Of Whippets?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks. :)

I've heard of ( but not yet witnessed) a whippet who runs and wins at sled dog racing somewhere in vic.

Crazy

Did someone say Whippet sledding?

I forgot about that video. I wonder what they'd do if a hare ran in front of them while they're pulling. How funny is it at the end, as if they haven't had enough running, unharness them and they go racing off again for a play. :laugh:

Ah thanks. :)

I've heard of ( but not yet witnessed) a whippet who runs and wins at sled dog racing somewhere in vic.

Crazy

Did someone say Whippet sledding?

Sessy and I would go well, until we came across a stray cat, rabbit or hare. Recall may not work at that speed :laugh:

Cnrs might be a tad tricky too.

Would a skateboard make a good sled on tar or am I asking for disaster to strike if I try that?

We don't get snow over here :/

I think most folk use modified bikes don't they? I'd stay off tar - hard on legs and very hard on falls.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Would a skateboard make a good sled on tar or am I asking for disaster to strike if I try that?

We don't get snow over here :/

I had my first go at dryland sledding today, which is about all we manage in Christchurch :) I was using a bicycle, which is what they recommended for a first timer, especially if you are running one dog (even more if it's a lightweight dog). Some of the other people had big wheel scooters, and these trike things that I would describe as chariots! We went on forestry tracks through a pine forest.

Ah what kind of surface (other than snow lol) would be suitable? Like gravel/dirt roads? I guess I might need to get myself a bike. Foxy is about 27 kg, so medium to large-ish I suppose

We live out of town and my property is very hilly, I predict I might have to drive myself + bike + dog to town to use whatever tracks I can find lol

ETA: I have a second dog, around the 30 kg range. Is it easier with two dogs? (Once they know the commands, obviously lol)

Edited by BlackJaq

Basic rule of thumb, if the ground doesn't move when you mobe your hand across it, don't run your dogs on it.

Dirt, grass, sand, etc

We run on forest trails which are dirt based. Gundogs kick bum at racing by the way ;)

Basically what Discodobe described. Large scooter for 1-2 dog teams. Rigs for 3+ dogs Big 4 wheeled chariot type things

Come have a look in here if you want some more tips. DOL Sledding Thread

I didn't mean to totally derail the whippet thread :o

Yep, and she's a parti colour with watermarking. See the darker edges around her pale fawn patches? That's watermarking. I had a whippet exactly that colour, her name was Iris :laugh: She already had the name when I got her but I thought it was cute and apparently I had an aunt Iris, who I never met.

Wonderful information, I had no idea how versatile they are. If someone told me they pulled sleds before I saw the vid I would have told them they were mad. Beautiful dogs and great photo's. Not sure I could handle all that timidity though :laugh: