Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard Schnauzers and Wheatens are very similar both in look at personality, which is only to be expected given that they have a similar history and purpose. Both were originally farmdogs used for vermin hunting and guarding. The biggest difference is coat. In addition to the colour, Standard Schnauzers have a wire coat. Structurally, there is not a great deal of difference between them. I think Standard Schnauzers are marginally taller and Wheatens are a bit stockier. We have a Standard Schnauzer that lives a couple of doors up and when Olle is wet there does not appear to be a great deal of difference body shape. They also have very similar play styles.

Stds & Wheatens are chalk & cheese in Natures & owner requirements.

A Wheaten is a much easier dog to live with & train in every fashion.

A Std Schnauzer gurading compared to a Wheaten is also at a very different level .

Stds are not easy to live with & require the right owner for it to be a life long match & alot of dedicated time as a pup.

They are wonderful dogs BUT the are not for everyone ,i have been around them for over 25 yrs & would own a Wheaten before a Std.

Whilst there background jobs are the same there is a different level of intensity as to how they do it & how they fit in a family life as well

Edited by showdog

Standard Schnauzers and Wheatens are very similar both in look at personality, which is only to be expected given that they have a similar history and purpose. Both were originally farmdogs used for vermin hunting and guarding. The biggest difference is coat. In addition to the colour, Standard Schnauzers have a wire coat. Structurally, there is not a great deal of difference between them. I think Standard Schnauzers are marginally taller and Wheatens are a bit stockier. We have a Standard Schnauzer that lives a couple of doors up and when Olle is wet there does not appear to be a great deal of difference body shape. They also have very similar play styles.

A Std Schnauzer gurading compared to a Wheaten is also at a very different level .

Stds are not easy to live with & require the right owner for it to be a life long match & alot of dedicated time as a pup.

They are wonderful dogs BUT the are not for everyone ,i have been around them for over 25 yrs & would own a Wheaten before a Std.

Whilst there background jobs are the same there is a different level of intensity as to how they do it & how they fit in a family life as well

Do you own wheatens?

[quote name='Sheridan' timestamp='1367555977' post='6192182

Do you own wheatens?

No but we board alot of Wheatens in pet homes & for a breeder with top show dogs .

I have also handled Wheatens in the show ring .

I have owned Kerry Blues & Bedlingtons & handled many Terrier breeds .

I have shown the Top Std Schnauzer in this State & he alos lived with us for many years & i am still involved in the Stds

AS far as trainability of a Wheaten to Std yes they are far easier & biddable in every way

Edited by showdog

Nah I need a 'real' dog LOL I just love the look of the wheaten. I think I'll have to work hard to consider another breed now, I've been bitten by the bug!

As a matter of fact, I just met a Wheaten at the vets with my unreal dog (mini schnauzer) lol and commented to the owner as he did to me that they are so similar in look, besides the colouring, to each other. I don't know if this is the correct way, but she was groomed just like

Schnauzers are supposed to be groomed. The standard Schnauzer is very comparable to the size of the Wheaten. They both need the grooming, so what's the difference?

Standards are a completely different dog to the mini - they are not the same dog in 3 different sizes. Minis are a lot more biddable. Standards are incredibly smart, but every one I've met has been stubborn (what's in it for me) and they are incredibly powerful dogs for their size.

Both should have a strong prey drive. I don't have chickens due to my mini's drive. Of course they would be separated but she's obsess over them and they would have to cope with a predator stalking them through the cage all day. My cousin's standard scaled a pool fence to kill her 5 chickens, after living with them for months.

I consider myself a training-savvy owner. I do agility and obedience with my dogs. No way would I be able to handle a standard!

Edited by megan_

Do you own wheatens?

No but we board alot of Wheatens in pet homes & for a breeder with top show dogs .

I have also handled Wheatens in the show ring .

I have owned Kerry Blues & Bedlingtons & handled many Terrier breeds .

I have shown the Top Std Schnauzer in this State & he alos lived with us for many years & i am still involved in the Stds

AS far as trainability of a Wheaten to Std yes they are far easier & biddable in every way

Pity you're overseas and Grumpy has passed away. He'd have changed your mind. :laugh:

I admit I don't know oodles of Standards, but I have met more than a handful, including two that we see on a regular basis. I have found their temperaments quite varied as I find with Wheatens, but my Wheaten is more of a handful than both the Standards I know well, though Olle is at the more exuberant end of the Wheaten spectrum. (Actually, that may be the biggest difference Wheatens are giddier and more apt to clownish behaviour.)

I think they both need experienced dog owners as they can be stubborn and more difficult to train for that reason.

I admit I don't know oodles of Standards, but I have met more than a handful, including two that we see on a regular basis. I have found their temperaments quite varied as I find with Wheatens, but my Wheaten is more of a handful than both the Standards I know well, though Olle is at the more exuberant end of the Wheaten spectrum. (Actually, that may be the biggest difference Wheatens are giddier and more apt to clownish behaviour.)

I think they both need experienced dog owners as they can be stubborn and more difficult to train for that reason.

I don't know anything about schnauzers of any size. I think people think wheatens are easier because of that clownish behaviour, which cleverly disguises what cunning little brains they have. Amiable rather than biddable. It's 'Sure, I'll do that! ... ... Later.'

Nah I need a 'real' dog LOL I just love the look of the wheaten. I think I'll have to work hard to consider another breed now, I've been bitten by the bug!

As a matter of fact, I just met a Wheaten at the vets with my unreal dog (mini schnauzer) lol and commented to the owner as he did to me that they are so similar in look, besides the colouring, to each other. I don't know if this is the correct way, but she was groomed just like

Schnauzers are supposed to be groomed. The standard Schnauzer is very comparable to the size of the Wheaten. They both need the grooming, so what's the difference?

Standards are a completely different dog to the mini - they are not the same dog in 3 different sizes. Minis are a lot more biddable. Standards are incredibly smart, but every one I've met has been stubborn (what's in it for me) and they are incredibly powerful dogs for their size.

Both should have a strong prey drive. I don't have chickens due to my mini's drive. Of course they would be separated but she's obsess over them and they would have to cope with a predator stalking them through the cage all day. My cousin's standard scaled a pool fence to kill her 5 chickens, after living with them for months.

I consider myself a training-savvy owner. I do agility and obedience with my dogs. No way would I be able to handle a standard!

Our family has also had a standard schnauzer. We had him when we also got our first mini. He was an incredibly easy dog to train, and I am just your average dog owner. There was never any need to command him. We just spoke to him and he seemed to know exactly what was expected of him. He was the most loving and true soul and would do anything to protect his family, including his mini 'brother', not to mention the grandchildren when they came along.

There are always exceptions to the standard? All the ones I have met are wonderful dogs, but they do things their way. For one in particular, their owners think they have a biddable, easy to live with dog, but they don't - they just don't have many rules so the dog never "breaks" them. If they tried to get her to do something they didn't want, they would be in for a very rude shock.

There are always exceptions to the standard? All the ones I have met are wonderful dogs, but they do things their way. For one in particular, their owners think they have a biddable, easy to live with dog, but they don't - they just don't have many rules so the dog never "breaks" them. If they tried to get her to do something they didn't want, they would be in for a very rude shock.

I guess we were very lucky with our boy. He knew the boundaries and never crossed them. He was very easy to live with. We didn't expect to have an obedience perfect dog, but he was of his own accord. Listened and obeyed without question. Yes, there are exceptions to the standard. That's what I meant in an earlier post that each dog has it's own personality and that makes it more fun.

What is the weight range of a Wheaten? The OP mentioned looking at a dog somewhere in the 6 to 10 kilo range and going by the height and size, I would've thought a Wheaten to be around the 15 kilo mark. Although the OP did mention a medium sized dog, which is around the 15 kilo mark too.

How about a Beagle or a Fauve? I don't know a lot about Fauves, but I think they'd fit the size bracket.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Wrong thread riverstar, it was the guy who does the model airplanes who said 6-10kg. I'm more looking at around the 10-20kg mark (although I'd prefer to top out around 15kg). I'm not so worried about a strong willed dog or a cheeky personality, all the descriptions you've mentioned sound a lot like my basset. She is very much the "Sure I'll do that...when I feel like it" personality and knows the boundaries but if no one's watching she will skirt around them :p

What is the weight range of a Wheaten? The OP mentioned looking at a dog somewhere in the 6 to 10 kilo range and going by the height and size, I would've thought a Wheaten to be around the 15 kilo mark. Although the OP did mention a medium sized dog, which is around the 15 kilo mark too.

How about a Beagle or a Fauve? I don't know a lot about Fauves, but I think they'd fit the size bracket.

15 to 21 kg in general.

I quite like fauve but I really do need non-shedding(which would strike the beagle out too), because we are thinking ahead to when our children are grown up and we are able to travel more we really don't want another shedding breed.

Our family has also had a standard schnauzer. We had him when we also got our first mini. He was an incredibly easy dog to train, and I am just your average dog owner. There was never any need to command him. We just spoke to him and he seemed to know exactly what was expected of him. He was the most loving and true soul and would do anything to protect his family, including his mini 'brother', not to mention the grandchildren when they came along.

That is a true Std but if you didn't have the control of him those exact words highlighted can end up with a very unenjoyable dog ,so obviously you where the right owners who had respect for him.

I guess we were very lucky with our boy. He knew the boundaries and never crossed them. He was very easy to live with. We didn't expect to have an obedience perfect dog, but he was of his own accord. Listened and obeyed without question. Yes, there are exceptions to the standard. That's what I meant in an earlier post that each dog has it's own personality and that makes it more fun.

Again the key words but not everyone applies this & the Std isn't the breed for owners who aren't prepared to have boundries .

He wasn't an exception he was owned by someone who appreciated the breed & understood what it was & when owned in such a way Stds are wonderful dogs,

OK well just to allay some concerns. Training is not an issue for me. I had my kelpie in the advanced class at training by the time she was 14 weeks old and they were using her as a demo dog at that age, both my dogs have a very clear understanding of boundaries. I am very strict with both my dogs and my children and they know the rules, even if the basset does sometimes try to flout them LOL, luckily for me she's a bad lier and I can always tell by the look on her face when she is thinking about whether she can get away with something :p The basset isn't as highly trained as the kelpie because quite frankly she ain't that bright :D but she knows all the important stuff and understands the house rules and that's the main expectation I have for her as i never planned to do trialling or anything with her.

By the time we were to get a pup we would be well established in our new house which is on half an acre divided into sections, shed at the front, fully fenced orchard(30 metres X30metres which is where the chooks are), then the house in the middle and the fully fenced house yard at the back. So as well as having plenty of space we will have the ability to separate different species as needed.