Nik Software

huga

I honestly don't know how it works with LR, because I use it in PS (because it can be used with layer masks, so more control). But it's a plug-in, so I use it within PS - it comes under the filters menu.

I've actually been using the trial again because I am finalising my QPPA entries and it is great for getting that tonal contrasty look that the judges love. It's very polished. The Silver Efex part is awesome for B&Ws and Dfine is great for noise reduction.

This is one of last years entries, but it shows the look I am talking about:

7300402224_dc5d09186b_z.jpg

This one does too:

6779726047_d21a9f1451_z.jpg

Yeah, you can edit anyway you like, within the rules (eg some categories like Doco only allow really basic editing - no cloning or composites). Hell, there are even businesses that provide awards editing as a service.

So the line is editing, as long as you don't use actual elements that are not your own such as textures others have made? I don't want to inadvertently do anything I shouldn't and I REALLY love the platinum nik effects on mono landscapes, I could play around with swatches for years and never get that right. Now I just have to see if it will actually download on my crappy wireless connection. Thanks!

Yes, exactly. Well, for APPA anyway. If you use textures, they have to be ones you've created yourself etc.

One photographer who was always a big advocate of Nik was Kelly Munce (who unfortunately has closed her doors). She has some stunning work.