Advice For A Friend Who's Dog Was Mauled By Another Dog In Canb

Those poor little dogs. What an awful thing to happen. Thankfully the neighbour took control. It sounds like to could have been much worse otherwise.

No advice on the other sorry.

Rubbish. Haven't DAS heard of DNA testing. The attacking dogs DNA would have been all over poor Charli.

I'd be pushing it with the relevant Minister if my dog had died under such circumstances.

I agree with this earlier post from HW.

I have been thinking about the issue over night and I have realised that these people still have a dog which still has to live close to the dogs that the owner believes killed their other dog. This would be a very stressful situation and as HW says I would approach the relevant minister. Katy Gallagher used to be the minister responsible for DAS but now it is Shane Rattenbury, our only Green MLA. Katy was very approachable. Joy Burch is also one of the local members and I am not sure if she is worth approaching but maybe it is worth a try.

Very unfortunate situation. KB, if your friend is unable to lock the gate, can they secure the yard so that the don't have access to that area ie. putting an internal fence. Then they could lock it and they could be assured that no-one would be able to let the dogs out.

So your 2 dogs got out , 2 other dogs were out loose too,

they all had a fight and one of your dogs died.

I don't see how you can claim anything, you were both in the wrong as far as dogs out, accident or not.

If your dogs had killed one of the other dogs you would be happy no further action was being taken.

sad that a dog died, but accidents happen if gates are not locked. :(

Yes, as crap as it is, I agree with this. If I were them I'd be getting a lock on the gate.

If my dog had killed another dog I wouldn't want to have it in my household. What a silly comment. Action should be taken when necessary.

What's so silly about my comment? Where did I say I'd keep a dog that had killed another dog? Where did I say no action should be taken?Try reading next time.

I was merely pointing out the fact that as both dogs were out, the council likely won't punish only one owner.

If the dogs had harassed the neighbour then the dogs owner could be fined. It doesn't sound like that happened though. Just that 4 dogs got in a tiff while unsupervised. As others have said nothing can be done about that as their is no way to know what triggered it. If another dog ran up and attacked another while the owner was walking it on lead that would be different.

The owners of the offending dogs have complied and secured their yard. If this happens again it will be on record.

Very unfortunate situation. KB, if your friend is unable to lock the gate, can they secure the yard so that the don't have access to that area ie. putting an internal fence. Then they could lock it and they could be assured that no-one would be able to let the dogs out.

Hi Rae, Thanks I have suggested this and it's been done. Plus a lock on their original gate. They've also made their fencing around the pool more secure as now have a new pup to help the other one through it's grieving as she's been howling every night for her mate she lost.