Can Someone Explain Ukc To Me?

Trisven13

I thought the UKC in the States was considered to be bad and evil :D BUT I've just clicked that Fauves are registered with the UKC over there and they're OBVIOUSLY not bad and evil so how does it all work? Is it something breeds are a member of before they are recognised with AKC? Given that the first Fauves in the USA arrived from Europe and were FCI registered dogs does this mean that their progeny can go back to Europe????? Or once there are they doomed unless and until they're registered?

1367312384[/url]' post='6189533']

I thought the UKC in the States was considered to be bad and evil :D BUT I've just clicked that Fauves are registered with the UKC over there and they're OBVIOUSLY not bad and evil so how does it all work? Is it something breeds are a member of before they are recognised with AKC? Given that the first Fauves in the USA arrived from Europe and were FCI registered dogs does this mean that their progeny can go back to Europe????? Or once there are they doomed unless and until they're registered?

Are you confusing the CKC (continental, not Canadian) with the UKC? The CKC in the US is pretty bogus. No pedigree needed, just some photos and a couple people's testimony. I don't know much about the UKC, other than 1) they register some breeds not recognized by the AKC, and 2) they do require pedigrees and keep closed registries.

There are very ethical poodle breeders who show UKC because the dogs do not have to be in "show trim" , the dogs are owner handled and they also allow other colours such as phantoms and partis. Can't comment on other breeds in UKC

Edited by frufru

UKC was established primarily as a register for the American Pit Bull Terrier back in the late 1800's so this is why some MODERN people may have decided it's "bad".

UKC accepts AKC (& ANKC) pedigrees, the reverse does not apply. I don't believe the FCI accepts UKC pedigrees which basically means a UKC-only registered dog isn't recognised as "pedigree" by anyone else.

Their shows are more relaxed than AKC shows, no professional handlers for a start. If I remember correctly they had all sorts of dog sports before the AKC (flyball, agility, rally style obedience come to mind).

They register breeds not accepted by the AKC and have a lot more minority breeds and breeds-in-development registers than the AKC.

I know a lot of Doberman people show in UKC for fun, but in that breed do not consider a UKC CH to be "breeding worthy" as you can put a UKC CH on just about anything. I imagine it would be quite different in some other breeds though.

UKC is it's own registry and not FCI registered, so you cannot register UKC dogs with any other FCI affiliated organisation. It's more a 'working dog' registry as they also register some of the US breeds that never made AKC status.

kennel clubs only recognise ONE kennel club for each country, which is why UKC registry on its own is no good for importing.

Plenty of dogs are still shown at UKC shows - which is why you need to be sure what registry the american champion title comes from as there are some terrible champion dogs over there, they can get made up with no competition and it seems no one will withold if the dogs are not good.

UKC Ch titles are easier to get because of the point system. however its not like AKC and CKC(canada) are all great either. just because judges CAN withhold doesn't mean they WILL(and they wont because they will stop getting judging assignments if they withhold), and plenty of stacking goes on finish a dog of low quality.